Check Out New No Man's Sky Footage From The Game Awards

Sarah LeBoeuf

Apr 28, 2011
Check Out New No Man's Sky Footage From The Game Awards

The beautiful, colorful planets of Hello Games' sci-fi adventure are front and center in the latest trailer for No Man's Sky.

Since its announcement at last year's Spike TV VGX Awards, Hello Games' No Man's Sky has received plenty of attention for its ambitious gameplay. Just about a year after it was first revealed, new footage from the game debuted at the show tonight, all captured from No Man's Sky in real time.

Despite floods best original game and best independent game [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/135742-No-Mans-Sky-Developer-Perseveres-After-Devastating-Flood].

When it was announced last year [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/130331-Hello-Games-Announces-New-Sci-Fi-Adventure-No-Mans-Sky], Hello Games Managing Director Sean Murray said of the sci-fi adventure, "We wanted to make a game about exploration, and we wanted to make a game that was real. If you can see it, you can walk there, you can explore it. The planet on the horizon is a real place." That spirit of exploration is definitely visible in this trailer, and I remain optimistic about Hello Games' biggest project to date. It's super ambitious, and I hope they can pull it off.

No Man's Sky launches on PS4 in 2015, followed by a PC release some indeterminate time later [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/136580-No-Mans-Sky-Confirmed-for-PC-Following-Timed-Exclusive-Period-on-PS4].

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
I wish they'd release a solid 15-30 minute continuous chunk of gameplay from this.

It looks cool, but I still have no idea what we're actually going to be doing. That vexes me.

How can we interact with all this cool shit? Do we need resources? Upgrades? Is there an objective? An ending? Any sort of plot or premise?

Veldel

Mitth'raw'nuruodo
Legacy
Apr 28, 2010
Lost in my mind
Country
US
Zhukov said:
I wish they'd release a solid 15-30 minute continuous chunk of gameplay from this.

It looks cool, but I still have no idea what we're actually going to be doing. That vexes me.

How can we interact with all this cool shit? Do we need resources? Upgrades? Is there an objective? An ending? Any sort of plot or premise?
they said in past it's a race to the center of the universe and that you can upgrade your stuff over the course of game with stuff you find on planets. And that 100 players can be on a single planet but never meet.

First person to discover a planet gets its dibs on it same for caves and animals

sid

Jan 22, 2013
Veldie said:
Zhukov said:

they said in past it's a race to the center of the universe and that you can upgrade your stuff over the course of game with stuff you find on planets. And that 100 players can be on a single planet but never meet.

First person to discover a planet gets its dibs on it same for caves and animals
Sounds iffy, man. Are you saying it's an MMO based on exploration? What happens if you get the game, say, a month after release and realize literally everything already has a random internet bloke's name strapped onto it? Sounds a little jarring. In contrast, the gameplay video got me excited in ways that I haven't been excited about since like Skyrim's gameplay video. This one merits a little research.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
I'm unsure about this game. After the initial "OMG this is amazing!!!!" phase passed, I found myself asking what the hell I'd do with over a trillion planets. Reaching the center of the universe sounds kinda... boring. I just fly to these planets, mine resources, and then move on? I'd much rather colonize the planet and make it truly my own.

I'm just unsure. The release date is quite a distance away, so I'll wait to pass final judgement.

kael013

Jun 12, 2010
sid said:
Sounds iffy, man. Are you saying it's an MMO based on exploration? What happens if you get the game, say, a month after release and realize literally everything already has a random internet bloke's name strapped onto it? Sounds a little jarring. In contrast, the gameplay video got me excited in ways that I haven't been excited about since like Skyrim's gameplay video. This one merits a little research.
Apparently there's an offline mode.

OT: So another trailer showing the same kind of stuff as all the other trailers for this game. I still haven't seen how you upgrade the ship or anything about the plot or goals in this game. Yeah, I get it's about exploration, but is there an end I'm shooting for? There's combat, but why (story-wise)? This game is so beautiful and interesting, but there's so [b/][i/]damn little[/i][/b] information about it.

VladG

Aug 24, 2010
Sigh.. the game sounds amazing. And I'm all but certain it will end up like every single such super-ambitious project: A shallow experience with a glimmer of brilliance brought low by the realities of implementing such an ambitious project.

I'm also very bothered by the fact that this... project (because at this point it's not a game, it's just a bunch of videos and screenshots) has already earned a bunch of awards such as "best original game". Based on what?? 5 minutes of video and some dev's starry eyed vision?

Shit, Peter Molyneux should be god-emperor of gaming by now if that's all that's needed.

small

Aug 5, 2014
procedural generation has amazing potential but it can more than likely generate a pretty shallow experience where random can end up being very samey in the end

so far all ive seen are lots of random planets and things not to mention if they do eventually port to PC just what that port will be like

hopeful but skeptical

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Not to go all "true believer", but... Even if all the game lets you do is wander around gorgeous procedurally generated planets and admire their flora and fauna, and the underlying "goal-based" gameplay is derivative and shallow... I'd still want this. It just looks that cool.

This is in no way intended to encourage Hello Games to slack off. If the underlying game is as cool and fun and as much of a time-eater as this looks to be, that's starting to sound like "indies prove once and for all that they can play in the big leagues" rather than "cult sleeper hit".

Just, please don't let it be a crash-prone, bug-ridden mess.

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
Doing the whole Han Solo thing on a much larger scale is cool and all, but I agree with one post - the game should make colonization as an optional element, with resources from other worlds being transferred to the world of your choice, to build a city/planet like you want it. Command a crew of hundreds, drop em on a planet, and see what happens. This way even if a buncha players get to the game before you, there will be tons of different stuff to see just from a progression perspective. Give players the option to go all-native and build their home city around a hometree, or go full-on borg tech with a planet that looks like a cross between Cybertron and the Deathstar. Create strata in between these extremes. Regardless, I still see myself buying this game when it's released.

ToastiestZombie

Don't worry. Be happy!
Mar 21, 2011
After four trailers at four quite big events in gaming circles I'd expect them to show what the actual point of the game is. Exploration on procedural worlds isn't enough to sell me the whole game, I want to know what I'll actually be doing in those worlds. Will I be shooting? Crafting? Trading? We just don't know.

JayRPG

Oct 25, 2012
sid said:
Veldie said:
Zhukov said:

That's the thing, everything can't have some internet bloke's name strapped to it because the universe is literally infinite. Everything is procedurally generated, it doesn't matter how far the player flies in a certain direction, there will always be new planets and places being generated. Because it's procedurally generated, it's mathematical, so while it's all "randomly" generated and infinite, every player will generate the same places in the same spots, you might not even have to be connected to a server or online with other people, it's just the nature of the mathematics and programming their using.

They made an underhanded comment about racing to the centre of the universe, but really, they don't know the possibilities themselves if say 10,000 different players fly in different directions. All the planets are planet sized, they've said you could theoretically meet a friend in the game by telling them the planet/coordinates you're on, but even then it's likely you won't be able to find each other on the same planet.

If they pull it off, It will be amazing, this is one of my most anticipated games.

XenoScifi

Dec 30, 2013
Throw in some resource gathering and building and yes, yes I would spend $$ on this. Kind of gives me the impression of Starbound, but in a 3d world. This is not a bad thing if it's the case as Starbound is a fun little game, if not a little repetitive.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
While the new trailer is cool and all but I was expecting something new or a new mechanic reveal since the trailer look the same as the first one.

InfernalPaladin

Mar 30, 2013
PS4 port? Eh, my interest in this title has dropped a bit. If it had full HOTAS support I probably would have picked it up just for that, but a flight game built for a controller is guaranteed to have it's more complicated tasks dumbed-down. For one, it seemed like that entire landing sequence was automatic.

I'll just stick with Elite: Dangerous for now.

Gutsripper

Aug 23, 2010
The things they promise and the trailer, it all kinda reminds me of Spore...

Or is that just me?

Evil Moo

Always Watching...
Feb 26, 2011
What I'd like to see (other than something substantial on a game mechanics perspective) is a montage of 100 or so procedural worlds, just to see how much variety their procedural process can come up with. If everything ends up being only slightly different plant life and a dozen variants on vaguely dinosaur animals/bioluminescent animals/giant snakes that may or may not be flying, then I can see things getting repetitive pretty fast...

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
I'd actually prefer there be no human interaction at all. I want to explore a new universe, not see it already divided up like our world is today. Plundered, staked out, finished.

But if this game is anything like what they're promising, I'll be happy with whatever happens.