Yakuza 5 Hitting North America in 2015

Sarah LeBoeuf

Apr 28, 2011
Yakuza 5 Hitting North America in 2015

The latest game in the core Yakuza series will make its Western debut three years after its Japanese launch.

Yakuza is one of those series that's traditionally done well in Japan but struggled to find an audience in Western markets. The most recent game in the core series launched in 2012 overseas, but last year Sega stated it had "no plans" [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/128254-Yakuza-5-Devs-Have-No-Plans-For-Western-Release] for a Western release of Yakuza 5. Apparently, plans change: Yakuza 5 is coming to North American PS3 systems in 2015.

The news was announced at the PlayStation Experience keynote earlier today. The last Yakuza game to get a North American release was Yakuza 4, which came out for PS3 in 2011. The announcement trailer gives a brief look at Japan's criminal underworld, around which the series revolves.

Though I've never played a Yakuza game, it's always good to see titles fans have been clamoring for become more readily available. And if Yakuza 5 is coming to North America, who knows? Maybe Valkyria Chronicles III [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/113605-Sega-Says-No-Valkyria-Chronicles-III-For-Western-Gamers] could be next.

Roofstone

May 13, 2010
YES! WOOOH! Fucking a!

...Achem, I mean.. How lovely! I've always enjoyed this series and was sorely disappointed when it was not to come out.

Fsyco

Feb 18, 2014
Woohoo! I'm amazed they're even bothering to release it here as a PS3 exclusive, what with the PS4 being the new console. I remember when Capcom said they wouldn't localize Ace Attorney Investigations 2 since the 3DS was already out, and I was pretty sure that would happen with Yakuza 5. Glad it didn't, though.

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
.......and Europe. Please come to Europe too. Bring your friends Valkyria Chronicles 3 and Dengeki Bunko: Fighting Climax as well, we can have a big sleepover.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
wooty said:
.......and Europe. Please come to Europe too. Bring your friends Valkyria Chronicles 3 and Dengeki Bunko: Fighting Climax as well, we can have a big sleepover.
If what MC1980 is saying is true, you'll have to ask Sony's Europe branch to do it since apparently they are the ones localizing Yakuza 5 in the first place. Sometimes companies just hate money it seems...

Rozalia1

Mar 1, 2014
MC1980 said:
So it's just NA or not? The article seems to imply the former, but I can't find anything clarifying it.

Also might wanna include that it's a digital only release with the translation being done by Sony Computer Entertaintment America, so Sega certianly isn't the one deserving of praise here.
Sony is doing it and not Sega? Got to give a very large thanks to Sony than as I've been waiting for an English (text) version for a long time.

wooty said:
I believe creating an American account and buying it there should allow you to play it on your European account so it doesn't come to Europe than you can still get it by jumping a couple of hoops.

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
Rozalia1 said:
wooty said:
I believe creating an American account and buying it there should allow you to play it on your European account so it doesn't come to Europe than you can still get it by jumping a couple of hoops.
I never thought of that. Thanks for advice, I'll look into that tomorrow :)

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Rozalia1 said:
Yeah, that will work. The only thing is I believe the download times are a lot longer since you're not connecting to domestic servers. But I've done that with my Vita to get Japanese games on my Vita since they won't be localized here.

BX3

Mar 7, 2011
Pat from Two Best Friends just happied in his pants.

Good news from Sega. Kinda fuzzy on why it took so long though.

fhmy

Aug 2, 2010
Holy fuck, I was one of those people who thought this would never get localised. TAKE BACK THE DREAM.
Unfortunately, I'm not as hype as I should be (beat the game already with the external Chinese guidebook). Still hype though and definite day 1 purchase.

Oly J

Nov 9, 2009
FUCK YEAH!! ALL OF MY EXCITEMENT!! I HAVE WAITED SO LONG FOR THIS NEWS!!!