Final Fantasy VII PC Port Coming to PS4

Sarah LeBoeuf

Apr 28, 2011
Final Fantasy VII PC Port Coming to PS4

Yes, Final Fantasy VII is coming to PlayStation 4 in 2015. No, it's not the HD remake you're looking for.

Good news! Final Fantasy VII is coming to PlayStation 4. Not-as-good news: it's a port of the 2012 PC version with upscaled graphics, and not, say, the long-rumored high-def remake. Considering the PS One classics market on PS4 has a long way to go before it catches up with the PS3's selection, this is a step in the right direction, but revealing it on stage after two hours of big announcements was an odd choice.

If I sound a little less than thrilled, it's because the way FFVII for PS4 was announced made it seem like something bigger was coming. It was a couple of hours into the PlayStation Experience keynote when Square Enix's Shinji Hashimoto took the stage. After a handful of unexpected [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/138927-Suikoden-and-Suikoden-II-Announced-for-PlayStation-Vita] announcements from other developers, it was Square's turn. A Final Fantasy VII logo appeared onstage as Hashimoto explained that the beloved RPG was coming to PS4.

And it is. But it's not quite what people thought was being announced. As Kotaku's Jason Schreier said, Hashimoto's announcement felt like the ultimate troll [http://kotaku.com/final-fantasy-vii-ps4-is-the-ultimate-troll-1667750675]. Nonetheless, Final Fantasy VII is coming to PS4 in spring of next year. Let's focus on the good: you'll still be able to play one of the best games of all time on Sony's newest system.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Massive major troll job. Well played, Square. Well played. Not that I'd personally be into a FFVII remake, but I know a lot of people would be.

JayRPG

Oct 25, 2012
Did they really get Hashimoto all the way here just to tell us they are porting a port of FF7 to the PS4? really?

AgentLampshade

Nov 9, 2009
They waited until the end of the show deliberately didn't they? They waited because they knew. They knew people wanted that remake, and they did it anyway. What a waste of a 13 hour flight, and a slot that could totally have gone to a DMC5 reveal.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
So, it's just the crappy PC 'update', that's been done BETTER by modders?

Poor FF7 fans.
I'm starting to feel sorry for their dedication to such an overrated, mediocre, JRPG.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
[sub]From Kotaku[/sub]

Masterfully done there, Square. You made them believe again and you crushed their hopes exquisitely.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Andy Shandy said:
Masterfully done there, Square. You made them believe again and you crushed their hopes exquisitely.
Normally, I'd be pretty upset that Square would do something so cruel, but then I realized how beautifully this troll moment went. I just have to respect it when they did that. Now for me to sit patiently for my FF XII HD Remastered... (T^T)

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Neronium said:
Andy Shandy said:
Normally, I'd be pretty upset that Square would do something so cruel, but then I realized how beautifully this troll moment went. I just have to respect it when they did that. Now for me to sit patiently for my FF XII HD Remastered... (T^T)
Yeah, I have to respect them just for having the balls to do it xD

And hey, there's probably a better chance of that happening that FF7 at least =P

mysecondlife

Feb 24, 2011
Whatislove said:
Did they really get Hashimoto all the way here just to tell us they are porting a port of FF7 to the PS4? really?
Remember when PS4 was first announced and the guy from Square Enix came up just to announce that there will be Final Fantasy title coming for PS4 (no shit.. really?) and ended up showing a year old CGI trailer everyone's seen before?

I hope its not just me..

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Andy Shandy said:
Yeah, I have to respect them just for having the balls to do it xD

And hey, there's probably a better chance of that happening that FF7 at least =P
I love it when devs find an amazing way to troll. Like how Sakurai generally is. :3
Anyway, I'd rather have a FF XII HD Remaster of the International version because I love that game. Not to mention it's one of the only games that has framerate issues when up-scaling it on a PS3. That and FF VII isn't even in my top five favorite FF games. IX is though...and now I want a remake of IX.

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
I'd be happy with a remake of any of the PS1 era Final Fantasies. I did buy the FFX HD remake for PS3 and I'm only 5 hours into it.....and I bought that near a year ago. Just didn't pull me in at all.

Zeraki

WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOOOOOOR!?
Legacy
Feb 9, 2009
New Jersey
Country
United States
Andy Shandy said:
[sub]From Kotaku[/sub]

That's pretty much how I felt when I found out Final Fantasy VI was getting a crappy mobile port for its 20th anniversary.

"There is an FFVI remake coming out" -sits forward in seat- "on mobile" -sighs bitterly-

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
Boy, Square-Enix seems to like toying with the fans don't they? And as much as I like Final Fantasy VII, I think it's high time that we accepted that there's never going to be a remake, so just let it go already...

Ishigami

Sep 1, 2011
SE is just amazing.
To think that this incompetent company owns a few franchises I?m actually interested in is scary?

dragongit

Feb 22, 2011
Square-Enix: "Hey, remember that game Final Fantasy 7, the one where you probably already own it on the PS1, PS3, or PC already?"
Fans: "Yea?!"
Square-Enix" "Would you love to relive your childhood memories in higher definition?"
Fans: "YEA!"
Square-Enix: "Alright! Here's a port of the PC version, which is basically the one you've already own, but we get more money, for doing very little!"
Fans: "..."

loa

Jan 28, 2012
CrazyGirl17 said:
Boy, Square-Enix seems to like toying with the fans don't they? And as much as I like Final Fantasy VII, I think it's high time that we accepted that there's never going to be a remake, so just let it go already...
Square keeps bringing it up.
Be it a cloud and aerith cosplay skin for lightning or this.

JayRPG

Oct 25, 2012
mysecondlife said:
Whatislove said:
Remember when PS4 was first announced and the guy from Square Enix came up just to announce that there will be Final Fantasy title coming for PS4 (no shit.. really?) and ended up showing a year old CGI trailer everyone's seen before?

I hope its not just me..
It's just bizarre.. I mean, this isn't a big announcement, like, at all.

We've been able to play the regular old FF7 on the PS1, PSP, PS3, PSV and PC.. it's on the PSN for PS3, PSV, and PSP right now and has been on there for years.

We have all already played the graphically craptacula version, it doesn't matter that it is being upscaled to 1080p, he even said it in the announcement, it is upscaled original graphics.

This is not even an announcement.

Do Square Enix really think fans are going to be happy about this? are they actually intentionally trying to troll fans?

That could have been the biggest shock announcement of the decade if he got up there and said Squeenix were doing a full HD remake.

Edit: If all they were going to do was upscale the graphics to 1080p, I would have been far more excited if they announced it was FF9 being upscaled and put on the PS4...

Rozalia1

Mar 1, 2014
So...trophies? Might well play it again (and I've played it a lot) if it has them... though hopefully not the crap list that is on Steam.