Original Japanese Godzilla Will Return in New Film

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Original Japanese Godzilla Will Return in New Film

The one and only original King of The Monsters rises again for 2016

2014's big-budget American-produced revamp of "weightier" [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/escape-to-the-movies/9210-Godzilla-Breaking-Kaiju] monster-design.

But now, it looks like fans of classic-style Godzilla can rejoice: Toho has announced [http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/japans-toho-produce-new-godzilla-754751] that they will begin production on a new Godzilla feature of their own, separate from the American series but aimed at a global release in 2016. No further details have been set regarding budget, cast, crew or whether or not the film will continue Toho's tradition of eschewing CGI in favor of practical "suitmation" special-FX.

A sequel to the American film was easily slaughtering [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/136440-SDCC-2014-Godzilla-2-Confirmed-Will-Feature-Rodan-Mothra-and-Ghidorah] his most-recent American usurper.

Source: THR [http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/japans-toho-produce-new-godzilla-754751]

[http://www.escapistmagazine.com/movies-and-tv/]

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
Of course he will! Nothing can stop Godzilla, not even complete nuclear meltdown :D.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
I thought the new American film was a bit short on Godzilla, but was really really awesome anyway. The modern effects put the old style to just literal shame. No stupid little models, no big body parts imposed onto the background.

People get attached to strange things. Back in the 60's, that is what they had to do in order to make a movie like that. And I get that I grew up watching movies with guys smashing models and it was cool. I have great memories as a wee lad watching that. But never once did I ever watch those movies and not think they could do so much better with it today (going back to the 80's).

That said, there is nothing wrong with that. The thing I liked the most was that Godzilla was essentially the main character. I don't know what the modern fixation is on having a human main character. Godzilla, Transformer, TMNT, that is the same problem with all of them... though Godzilla was better than the others by leaps and bounds in my book.

TheSapphireKnight

I hate Dire Wolves...
Dec 4, 2008
Even more Godzilla? Yes, please.

While I do feel like the recent film could have been better(I think cutting down the run-time would have gone a long way), I did really did enjoy the 3rd act. Honestly, all I really wanted was for the movie to be decent and have enough success to warrant more giant monster/robot movies, so between the next American film, this announcement, and the possibility of Pacific Rim 2, I would say mission accomplished.

I think there is plenty of room for both, and I the fact that both would be happening somewhat 'concurrently' is even better.

Draconalis

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2008
Thank the Tao!

I can finlly, after 15 long years, watch a new Godzilla film I will enjoy.

The new one was boring and terrible.

FillerDmon

Jun 6, 2014
Duuuuuuuuuuuh...

DUH duh DUH duh Duh....

DUUUUH Duuh Duuh....

Duh Duh.... Duh duh Duh Duh....

--Status--
Breathing: Heavy
Pants: Tight
Butt: Clenched
Hype: Overload

Jacked Assassin

Nothing On TV
Jun 4, 2010
I now expect The American 2014 version to be killed off by the original Japanese version for not being "The True Godzilla".

Flammablezeus

Dec 19, 2013
I actually really liked the screentime that Godzilla got in the recent movie. It could have been nothing but a boring smashfest, but instead his presence actually meant something since he wasn't there the whole time front and center. It felt a lot more like how a monster movie should feel.

crazygameguy4ever

Jul 2, 2012
alright! a real godzilla movie is on the way.. it's been 10 years since the REAL godzilla showed up, about freakin time

martyrdrebel27

Feb 16, 2009
So, a 3 way battle between Lizard Godzilla, the first american movie, 2014 american godzilla and original flavor. that needs to happen. i wanna see that matthew broderick lizard die terribly for being the movie that it was.

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
Ugh... whatever. I guess never try to improve on anything that has fans, even if it looks ugly and stupid. I still think the 98 Godzilla looks the best. I don't even understand why people hate the movie so much, it's fun.

JSoup

Jun 14, 2012
Chaos Isaac said:
Oh great.

Another bad movie to be made.
This, but in a cheery, enthusiastic voice with big smile.
While we're at it, give me more Mothra!

ShakerSilver

Professional Procrastinator
Nov 13, 2009
no word on whether this installment, like that one, will feature the Japanese Godzilla easily slaughtering his most-recent American usurper.
Considering that the new Godzilla seems to be pretty identical to the classic one besides his looks, I don't think it would be as easy as killing Zilla. There's also the fact that the new Godzilla is quote possibly the largest Godzilla there's ever been. Not to say that Goji hasn't taken down larger monsters than himself before, but it does make things rather difficult.