20th Anniversary PS4 Sells on eBay for $7,480

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
20th Anniversary PS4 Sells on eBay for $7,480

Sony's sold out 20th Anniversary PS4's are selling for thousands on eBay.

Last week, Sony celebrated the twentieth anniversary of the PlayStation brand. As a part of its celebrations, the company unveiled a special edition <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/138870-Sony-PlayStation-20-Years-PS4-Anniversary-Edition>20th Anniversary PlayStation 4 adorned with retro coloring, etchings and logos taken straight from the original PlayStation. Intending it to be a rare collector's item, Sony only produced 12,300 units, all of which swiftly sold out when it went on sale this past weekend. If you were hoping to get your hands on one however, there's still hope. You just might need a few thousand dollars.

You see, while most probably bought their Anniversary PS4's with the intention of using them or holding onto them as collector's items, others took their newly acquired consoles straight to eBay where they're now being sold for far more than Sony's $500 asking price. One PS4, for instance, features a buy it now price <a href=http://www.ebay.com/itm/PS4-20th-Anniversary-Edition-Factory-Sealed-Pre-order-Confirmed-/141498485482?pt=Video_Games&hash=item20f1f78aea>of $17,770. And while that might sound like a crazy amount to spend on a game console, other auctions are drawing in sums that are barely more reasonable. One auction, based in the UK, <a href=http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sony-Playstation-4-20th-Anniversary-Edition-1-of-12-300-Globally-/291319335274?pt=UK_VideoGames_VideoGameConsoles_VideoGameConsoles&hash=item43d3fc496a&autorefresh=true>just recently sold its Anniversary PS4 for 4,800 GBP (roughly $7,480.40).

Which brings me to the part where I'm going to say that I don't get this. I understand selling these <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/ps4>PS4s. Heck, if I'd known people would pay this much money for them, I probably would have tried to resell one myself. What I just can't fathom is doling out that much cash for a console that's really only special because Sony's management decided to turn the factory off after they hit a certain number. Honestly, I can understand paying $2,500 for a defective <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/138843-Super-Smash-Bros-Samus-Amiibo-With-Defect-Worth-2-500>Amiibo figure more than I can this. At least there's only one of those that was produced by accident.

What do you think? Would you pay thousands for a 20th Anniversary PS4 or does that strike you as a bit much?

Source: <a href=http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sony-Playstation-4-20th-Anniversary-Edition-1-of-12-300-Globally-/291319335274?pt=UK_VideoGames_VideoGameConsoles_VideoGameConsoles&hash=item43d3fc496a&autorefresh=true>eBay

KazeAizen

Jul 17, 2013
I honestly hate these kinds of people. The "flippers" are a poison. People with enough cash to blow for the sole purpose of making more money off of it themselves. These are the people without hearts. Do it for a charity at least. That's two people who legitimately wanted to hold onto one of those cool PS4's but now can't because they are being held hostage for thousands instead of the few hundred that person probably saved for a PS4 in the first place. Its honestly one of the most souless acts of human kind in this modern age. Deny someone the pleasure of owning and cherishing something they legitimately want by buying it yourself and trying to get a quick buck off of it when the fact is if you are doing that you probably didn't give 2 shits about the item in the first place.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Speculators will speculate, in a year or two's time I bet they'll go for five or six hundred pounds and mr five grand will feel a might silly, much the same way Panasonic Q's go for £400-ish now.

Or s/he really, really wanted a 20th PS4 and is now the happiest bunny in Europe.

higgs20

Feb 16, 2010
I'll never understand buying this sort of thing full stop really. I had a playstation as a Kid, I loved it, and Sony have brought me years of joy, but the consoles themselves are only ever tools that allow me to use the things which actually contain the fun. so no, I wouldn't spend £4,800 on a special ps4, honestly, I wouldn't pay £50 extra for a special ps4, just all seems a tad silly to me.

Having said that, I have absolutely no problem with people selling them for these ludicrous prices, even if I had bought a special edition console with the idea of forever cherishing it or whatever, you can bet your sweet ass that after seeing the prices the things were going for it would be on E-bay faster than a really fast thing going as fast as it could.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
I don't really get it myself. The anniversary PS4 is in no way functionally different from a standard PS4, and it doesn't even really look all that different either. Of course, even if it did, I'd still be hard pressed to find any real reasoning for paying any more than maybe double the price of a standard unit.

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
A product is only worth what the buyer is willing to pay for it. There are plenty of foolish buyers. The PS1, with all it's awesome games, was still an ugly console. But that's just me.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
Hmm yes that 4.5k.. I could build a mighty fine PC with that...

Al;so yeah no thats an insane amount to spend on a PS4 with a fancy paint job, you could mod it yourself for the aesthetic and I'd be hard pressed to justify that kind of expenditure on just the collectible value.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
StriderShinryu said:
I don't really get it myself. The anniversary PS4 is in no way functionally different from a standard PS4, and it doesn't even really look all that different either. Of course, even if it did, I'd still be hard pressed to find any real reasoning for paying any more than maybe double the price of a standard unit.
collectors are quite obsessive with collecting and are willing to spend life savings for something that is unique in only its looks. there is a rare NES game that has 3 types:

1. gold cartridge
2. silver cartridge
3. bootleg regular cartridge.

there are A LOT of the third kind, yet people still pay over 30.000 dollars for the first two just because they look different and there inst a lot of them. in fact functionally they are identical.