Rumor: One Iconic Character Is Already Dead In Batman V Superman

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Rumor: One Iconic Character Is Already Dead In Batman V Superman

Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice may suggest that Batman suffered the loss of an iconic character before the movie begins. (Other than his parents.)

WARNING: This news story may include spoilers from the upcoming Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice film.

When the two biggest comic book characters ever meet on the big screen in Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice, one certainly won't be a novice hero. According to the film's new lore, Batman has been operating as a superhero for 17 years, and already led Gotham City through its darkest adventures. And if the rumor mill can be believed, that means Batman lost one of his supporting characters before the new film even begins.

While this isn't exactly a major reveal, at the moment it would constitute a spoiler, so now's the time to stop reading if that sort of thing bothers you.

Okay, now that it's just us:

If the rumor is true, this means that <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/135840-Bob-Hastings-Voice-of-Batmans-Commissioner-Gordon-is-Dead>Commissioner James Gordon was lost sometime before the film began. How that happened exactly isn't clear; Badass Digest reported that a memorial plaque dedicated to Gordon was called for in the script.

In broader Batman lore, Commissioner Gordon was long considered one of Batman's few allies within Gotham's police department. Recognizing that he couldn't fight Batman's rogues gallery with a corrupt police force, Gordon agreed to work with Batman and turn a blind eye to his vigilantism to ensure justice was served. Gordon was last played by Gary Oldman in <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/escape-to-the-movies/6064-The-Dark-Knight-Rises>Christopher Nolan's Dark Knight trilogy.

Where many other DC Comics personalities are expected to fill the void, it's a little disappointing that Gordon's presence won't be a part of it. But perhaps there's a silver lining: I can easily imagine Gordon's death inspiring his daughter, Barbara, to take up a costume of her own.

Source: Badass Digest

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
At least it isn't The Flash. If he died, the league might go a little rogue and take over the world.

P.S. Thanks

Kmadden2004

Feb 13, 2010
Fans: "Bryan Cranston for Lex Luthor!"

WB: "Well, here's Jesse Eisenberg"

Fans: "Bryan Cranston for Commissioner Gordon!"

WB: "Well, Gordon's dead"

Fans: "JUST WHAT WILL IT TAKE FOR YOU TO CAST BRYAN CRANSTON IN A DC MOVIE!!?"

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
Kmadden2004 said:
Fans: "JUST WHAT WILL IT TAKE FOR YOU TO CAST BRYAN CRANSTON IN A DC MOVIE!!?"
They did. He was Gordon in Batman: Year One, a 2011 straight-to-DVD animated film (fun fact: Batman was played in this film by current Jim Gordan actor Ben McKenzie). I didn't care for it, but it was well enough received. It's worth checking out, at any rate.

P.S. Thanks

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
I was expecting someone bigger. Or a Robin. Robins seem to die a lot in the comics, so that'd work.

Covarr said:
At least it isn't The Flash. If he died, the league might go a little rogue and take over the world.

P.S. Thanks
Too soon!

But seriously, I laughed.

Redryhno

Jul 25, 2011
Wait, they're actually getting rid of characters in this soon-to-bet-trainwreck?

Veldel

Mitth'raw'nuruodo
Legacy
Apr 28, 2010
Lost in my mind
Country
US
Covarr said:

P.S. Thanks
Justice Lords was a insane plot in the JLU story. My only concern is if the Flash isn't the heart of the heroes group and brought down to being dark and serious which isn't the flash at all.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
I thought it might have meant Robin, but then it is Batman. He'd just grab some kind off the street and dress him up.

That actually reads a little bit differently than I intended.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Rumor: This movie is already looking pretty bad but the studio execs seem intent on making it look worse by having major events happen off the screen.

RealRT

Feb 28, 2014
And here I thought it was Superman.

Stop looking at me funny, he was pretty dead in Man of Steel.

K.ur

Jul 31, 2013
Commissioner Barbara Gordon?

(suddenly Batman Beyond intro playing before my eyes)

Product Placement

Jul 16, 2009
Well, Man of Steal killed off Dr. Hamilton [http://dcanimated.wikia.com/wiki/Emil_Hamilton] who was a pretty important side character in the animated Superman series and eventually the Justice League as well, so I'd only see it as a continuation of the theme of offing interesting characters before they get a chance to bloom.

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
Who cares. It's DC. It's probably just another 'alternate reality', or the character will come back somehow within a few months.

wetfart

Jul 11, 2010
Foo. I was hoping they were going to go for a Jason Todd / Robin thing. And then Superboy Prime could throw a hissy fit and bring Jason back to life. Er ... nevermind.

Or perhaps they're going to introduce the Lazarus Pits finally.

necromanzer52

Mar 19, 2009
RatGouf said:
I would've assumed they killed off Robin as Robin hasn't been in a good Batman movie....
Gonna have to disagree with you on that one.