Nostalgic Trading Cards Announce New Star Wars Character Names

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Nostalgic Trading Cards Announce New Star Wars Character Names

J.J. Abrams has released a series of mock Topps cards revealing the identity of new characters from Star Wars: The Force Awakens.

At the end of November, Disney and LucasFilm rocked the internet by releasing the most anticipated chunk of movie footage in recent history. I'm talking, of course, about the 88-second teaser for <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/138813-Star-Wars-Episode-VII-The-Force-Awakens-Official-Trailer>Star Wars: The Force Awakens.

From its first image to its last, it delivered sights and sounds so nostalgic that many fans were left in a state of euphoria that, even now, has yet to subside. As amazing as it was to see these first glimpses of the film and its cast however, it left viewers with a ton of unanswered questions. What's up with that lightsaber? Why's that droid rolling on a ball? Who the heck is everyone supposed to be?

While we're still waiting for answers to the first few questions, director J.J. Abrams has recently revealed the identity of the trailer's characters via a series of mock Topps trading cards. Thanks to these cards we now know that Oscar Isaac's X-Wing pilot will be named Poe Dameron and that <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/138826-Star-Wars-Episode-VIIs-Black-Stormtrooper-Addresses-Criticism>John Boyega and Daisy Ridely will play the characters Finn and Rey. The rolling droid has also been indentified as has the broadsword wielding Sith. Henceforth they'll be know as BB-8 and Kylo Ren.

The cards themselves say the following:

#11- BB-8 on the move
#53- Poe Dameron in his X-Wing
#67 - Kylo Ren ignites his Lightsaber
#74 - Rey on her Speeder
#76 - Finn on the run
#81 - Stormtroopers prepare for battle
#88 - X-Wings in formation
#96 - The Millennium Falcon

Abrams would go on to confirm that the numbers on the cards aren't random and that they too have meaning, though he wouldn't say what it was. In other words, while we've learned something new thanks to today's reveal, <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/star%20wars?os=star+wars>Star Wars fans now also something fresh to speculate and argue over.

Source: Entertainment Weekly

The_Darkness

Nov 8, 2010
"Abrams would go on to confirm that the numbers on the cards aren't random and that they too have meaning, though he wouldn't say what it was."

Abrams, you're Mystery Boxing again. We told you to stop it, especially after Into Darkness, but did you listen? Nope, and now you're even doing it with mock trading cards...

That said, this is one of the weirder ways to reveal your character names. A little bit of light-hearted fun.

ShirowShirow

Oct 14, 2010
Finn and Rey. Huh.

"Kylo"... Doesn't sound particularly intimidating actually. Maybe he is the anti-luke. Even stuck with a backworlds name.

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
Kylo makes me think of the tv psychic Miss Cleo for some reason.

So Either Rey isn't a Solo, or I hate this movie and Abrams with a passion.

ritchards

Non-gamer in a gaming world
Nov 20, 2009
Hey, it's JJ "Mystery Bo

The_Darkness said:
Abrams, you're Mystery Boxing again. We told you to stop it, especially after Into Darkness, but did you listen? Nope, and now you're even doing it with mock trading cards...
Yeah... that one.

chaosbedlam

Apr 15, 2009
When i first saw this i got really excited that they were bringing back old school trading cards. now im a little disappointed that i cant actually collect em all.

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
I find this a little funny
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Poe
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Finn_Shallo
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Djinn_Kylo

Jiggle Counter

Sep 18, 2014
ShirowShirow said:
"Kylo"... Doesn't sound particularly intimidating actually. Maybe he is the anti-luke. Even stuck with a backworlds name.
Or he IS luke =O

Dun dun duuuuuun probably not...

Ldude893

Apr 2, 2010
I'm not looking forward to the moment when it's revealed the Solo kids are nonexistent in this universe. Expect hellfire and rage from die-hard fans.

Orga777

Jan 2, 2008
Ldude893 said:
I'm not looking forward to the moment when it's revealed the Solo kids are nonexistent in this universe. Expect hellfire and rage from die-hard fans.
Already been disappointed by that... no Mara Jade, either it seems. What a waste of potential that the EU built up before being disrespected like it was. All I wanted from this movie was the Solo Twins and Mara Jade, and I would have at least excepted everything as it came and gave it a chance. Now I am not even sure if it will matter. Oh well. If it is a good movie, I will probably still see it, but like hell will I see this before I hear good reviews and good word of mouth. :/

Rawbeard

Jan 28, 2010
The meaning of the numbers becomes instantly clear when JJ mentions they have a meaning. Mystery Box. That's all. Breath easy, my friends.

Monsterfurby

Mar 7, 2008
Rawbeard said:
The meaning of the numbers becomes instantly clear when JJ mentions they have a meaning. Mystery Box. That's all. Breath easy, my friends.
Numeric sequences in J. J. Abrams productions hardly ever amount to anything useful.

4 8 15 16 23 42

Dear god... I still remember that sequence. Crap.

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
I'm going to guess the numbers are the times (in minutes) at which the scenes take place...

ender1200

Nov 25, 2013
Rey better be a solo or a skywalker...

You know what? seeing as finn might be the main protagonist he better be one as well.

Cybylt

Aug 13, 2009
ender1200 said:
Rey better be a solo or a skywalker...

You know what? seeing as finn might be the main protagonist he better be one as well.

Orga777 said:
Ldude893 said:
Already been disappointed by that... no Mara Jade, either it seems. What a waste of potential that the EU built up before being disrespected like it was. All I wanted from this movie was the Solo Twins and Mara Jade, and I would have at least excepted everything as it came and gave it a chance. Now I am not even sure if it will matter. Oh well. If it is a good movie, I will probably still see it, but like hell will I see this before I hear good reviews and good word of mouth. :/

No, you get that everybody important is related bullcrap out of here. It's a fanfic tier sequel setup, and there is a whole damn galaxy at play that doesn't need to revolve solely around the Skywalker family tree.

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
Just a few more entries in the list of names of the universe actors should be ashamed to say out-loud.

Not the worst of them, but damn... SW has some really dumb sounding names.

Jun 20, 2013
Fresh characters, spiced with a hint of nostalgic imagery and tone. Thank god they disbanded that over-bloated and cancerous EU, way past overdue. My poor shelves can finally rest easy with the lifting of the weights. Time for new heroes and new adventures please. We don't need to keep jawing the same old tired treadmill of anemic nostalgia-cocaine-slurry.

OT: Gave away my 'library' of EU recently. Cleared an entire wall-space of material. Only kept my Dark Horse / Marvel collections, and maybe a 'scant' 20 novels. The neighbor kids are still mad with power over their recent acquisitions. Last few years I have just been feeling done with all the toys and posters and nonsense. The trash of Force Heretic, Dark Nest, the Yuuzhan Vong in general ... actually most, if not all of the NJO can rot away for all I care. A complete overload of junk information, place-holders and crap story-arcs (telling the same tired tales again). Only really ever cared about the Dark Horse comics. Shorter, more frequent, and isolated tales spanning across a timeline much wider than the same miserable 25-35 years shoehorning the same wretched 'characters' for yet another run.

Almost canned the comics too ... but the Mrs would have had an aneurysm.

uncanny474

Jan 20, 2011
Ldude893 said:
I was never a big fan of the Solo kids anyway. All the good EU stuff came from pre-Republic or early post-Republic books. I mean, be honest. Yuuzhan Vong war? Legacy? That stuff was awful.

Creedsareevil

Mar 25, 2014
Yes yes yes, JJ abrams and his mystery box bullshit.

This was not intriguing the first few times and its not now.
Just make a decent star wars movie. There. Mission accomplished.