UK Teen Jailed For Cyber-Bullying

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
UK Teen Jailed For Cyber-Bullying

An 18 year old in the UK has becomes the first person to be jailed in the UK for bullying over the internet.

18 year old Keeley Houghton has been given three months in a young offenders' institute and a five month restraining order after threatening to kill someone on Facebook, the first person in the UK to be jailed for cyber-bullying. Houghton claimed that she wrote the messages late at night while drunk and had no memory of it, but it was quickly shown that that was not the case.

The comments were posted at 4pm on the 12th of July and remained on Houghton's Facebook page for 24 hours before being removed. The police became involved when Ms Houghton approached the victim Emily Moore while she was out with her boyfriend, ostensibly to apologize, but then became threatening when her apology was rebuffed. Houghton has two prior convictions for bullying Ms Moore, including one in 2005 for assaulting her on the way home from school which led to Houghton's expulsion.

While Houghton appeared contrite during her hearing and admitted her involvement, District Judge Bruce Morgan was unimpressed, saying: "Since Emily Moore was 14 you have waged compelling threats and violent abuse towards her ... Bullies are by their nature cowards, in school and society. The evil, odious effects of being bullied stay with you for life ... On this day you did an act of gratuitous nastiness to satisfy your own twisted nature."

Source: The Telegraph [http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/facebook/6067897/Teenager-is-first-to-be-jailed-for-Facebook-bullying.html]

Neonbob

The Noble Nuker
Dec 22, 2008
Hah!
I like that judge.
He's got a sharp tongue.

And hopefully this brings about some kind of change in that girl.

The_ModeRazor

Jul 29, 2009
Well, apparently she wasn't jailed for the cyber-bullying, so your thread is inappropriate.
OT: I think she does need some treatment.

JWAN

Dec 27, 2008
The_ModeRazor said:
Well, apparently she wasn't jailed for the cyber-bullying, so your thread is inappropriate.
OT: I think she does need some treatment.
they have that kind of psychiatric treatment in prison so she gets 3 months of 1 on 1 with a therapist

AbsoluteVirtue18

Jan 14, 2009
Good, maybe this will help cut down on random people telling me that they're going to "hunt me down, rape my mom and then kill me."

Mostly it's little kids saying that, so I don't think they can jail them. Darn it.

ae86gamer

Mar 10, 2009
Thats good, but she should probably get some sort of therapy.
Pipotchi said:
She will be a hit in prison though, a looker like her.
You sir.. have made my day. XD

wordsmith

TF2 Group Admin
May 1, 2008
nilcypher said:
threatening to kill someone on Facebook, the first person in the UK to be jailed for cyber-bullying

"Since Emily Moore was 14 you have waged compelling threats and violent abuse towards her"
"Hey, there's that girl who's viciously bullied me for the last 4 years... *clicks add*"

Stupid girl...

Shapsters

Dec 16, 2008
Pipotchi said:
She will be a hit in prison though, a looker like her.
Ya thats true, she should really watch herself, the prisoners will be all over that one!

***** gets what she deserves!

HardRockSamurai

May 28, 2008
Good, she deserves every bit of that punishment. I'm just surprised she didn't get arrested earlier, seeing as she'd already had two offenses prior to this one.

DrunkWithPower said:
OH, I hope this trend carries to the U.S.
But then we'd have to arrest everyone on 4Cha..........[small]actually, I'm all for it now[/small]..........

Joshimodo

Sep 13, 2008
Neonbob said:
He's got a sharp tongue.
Yeah, I'd love to listen to him berate a criminal in court. Funny stuff.

DrunkWithPower said:
OH, I hope this trend carries to the U.S.
I think the US actually has a law against cyber-bullying. If I recall, it was in California.