Let's Look at the New Blood Angels Codex

Lodur

May 28, 2014
Let's Look at the New Blood Angels Codex

Is the new Codex: Blood Angels a real change in direction for Warhammer 40k, or just more of the same?

Read Full Article

Ironman126

Dark DM Overlord
Apr 7, 2010
I suppose the real question is this: will it be able to deal with a Tau Fire Warrior/Crisis Suit line or will it fall flat on its face like every other assault army? My guess would be no, since the Tau gun line is 101% broken if you don't play a vehicle army.

It seems to me that this is just not the edition for close combat. Armies like Tau and Eldar, that either shoot farther than everyone else or that can move and shoot, seem to get the natural advantage. Plus, with the 7th edition close combat challenge rules, you can't even save your Sanguinary Priest/Power Fist Sergeant from having to deal with all the wounds back.

On the other hand, that +1 to initiative is awesome because now the Blood Angels have the same initiative on the charge as Eldar/Dark Eldar/Slanesshi Chaos Marines. But, to be fair, it you've gotten close enough to an Eldar unit for that to matter, you're probably winning already.

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
Ironman126 said:
I suppose the real question is this: will it be able to deal with a Tau Fire Warrior/Crisis Suit line or will it fall flat on its face like every other assault army? My guess would be no, since the Tau gun line is 101% broken if you don't play a vehicle army.

It seems to me that this is just not the edition for close combat. Armies like Tau and Eldar, that either shoot farther than everyone else or that can move and shoot, seem to get the natural advantage. Plus, with the 7th edition close combat challenge rules, you can't even save your Sanguinary Priest/Power Fist Sergeant from having to deal with all the wounds back.

On the other hand, that +1 to initiative is awesome because now the Blood Angels have the same initiative on the charge as Eldar/Dark Eldar/Slanesshi Chaos Marines. But, to be fair, it you've gotten close enough to an Eldar unit for that to matter, you're probably winning already.
Based on what you're saying I'm glad to hear close combat still seems pretty broken. Makes me all the more glad that I ditched the game completely in 6th edition. Not that GW has ever been good at game balance, but jesus christ they fucked up with the new close combat rules.

Ironman126

Dark DM Overlord
Apr 7, 2010
Vivi22 said:
Ironman126 said:
Based on what you're saying I'm glad to hear close combat still seems pretty broken. Makes me all the more glad that I ditched the game completely in 6th edition. Not that GW has ever been good at game balance, but jesus christ they fucked up with the new close combat rules.
It is beyond broken. Th Orks and Tyranids are almost completely unplayable. The Orks actually are unplayable, but that's the fault of their latest codex more than anything. Between 7th edition's "Flying/Jump monstrous creatures can't do shit" rule and the "smash attacks now only hit once, not half the number of normal attacks" change, close combat is pretty much dead. If you are lucky enough to get into melee with an enemy, you get to roll hundreds of dice that do effectively nothing. Only specialized CQB units can do anything of value and even then it's dodgy. I was playing a game against Necrons and my 5-man Space Marine tactical squad and Captain beat a Lord and his 5 Lychguard retinue.

Plus, Tau/Eldar armies are basically impossible to beat. Between the Tau's range and the Eldar's trickery and psykers, good fucking luck, mate.

xaszatm

That Voice in Your Head
Sep 4, 2010
Ironman126 said:
Vivi22 said:
Ironman126 said:
It is beyond broken. Th Orks and Tyranids are almost completely unplayable. The Orks actually are unplayable, but that's the fault of their latest codex more than anything. Between 7th edition's "Flying/Jump monstrous creatures can't do shit" rule and the "smash attacks now only hit once, not half the number of normal attacks" change, close combat is pretty much dead. If you are lucky enough to get into melee with an enemy, you get to roll hundreds of dice that do effectively nothing. Only specialized CQB units can do anything of value and even then it's dodgy. I was playing a game against Necrons and my 5-man Space Marine tactical squad and Captain beat a Lord and his 5 Lychguard retinue.

Plus, Tau/Eldar armies are basically impossible to beat. Between the Tau's range and the Eldar's trickery and psykers, good fucking luck, mate.
I don't know, as Dark Eldar, my games seem to be determined on if I get to choose who goes first. Then again, I'm Dark Eldar, that's my army in a nutshell. Hit Hard, Hit Fast, Die When Someone looks at me funny.

But yeah, Close Combat is just useless now. It's very rare when you will use a assault unit nowdays. Unless you're me and like trolling everyone with 4+ invul saves or I6 AP2 weaponry.

But Blood Angels in general lost a lot for assault. Assault Marines are no longer troops and the loss of Decent of Angels really hurt them. Pretty much Dreadnaughts and Paal Predators are the Blood Angels claim to fame now.

mythgraven

No One Is Special
Mar 9, 2010
It sounds to me like you heretics are not putting enough faith in the God-Emperor.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Only tactical squads and scouts as troops?

While, yes, the BA were supposed to follow the codex (mostly) back in the day...I liked having jump pack infantry as troops, could have a whole jump pack army.

Boo.

Ironman126

Dark DM Overlord
Apr 7, 2010
xaszatm said:
Ironman126 said:
Vivi22 said:
Ironman126 said:
snip
snip
I don't know, as Dark Eldar, my games seem to be determined on if I get to choose who goes first. Then again, I'm Dark Eldar, that's my army in a nutshell. Hit Hard, Hit Fast, Die When Someone looks at me funny.

But yeah, Close Combat is just useless now. It's very rare when you will use a assault unit nowdays. Unless you're me and like trolling everyone with 4+ invul saves or I6 AP2 weaponry.

But Blood Angels in general lost a lot for assault. Assault Marines are no longer troops and the loss of Decent of Angels really hurt them. Pretty much Dreadnaughts and Paal Predators are the Blood Angels claim to fame now.
I can't imagine all those open-top vehicles help. Sounds like Imperial Guard, too. A good friend of mine plays IG and we have play A LOT of 40k, it seems like the winner is determined by who goes first. If my marines are first, it's GG. If he's first, I watch as no less than 4 large blasts wipe out my marines.

Kind of a shame really, the Blood Angels were always so cool. Furioso Dreadnoughts and Baal Predators can only get you so far, especially if you're fighting Eldar with their lances or Tau with their... Everything.

Sometimes I wonder if GW even bothers to play test the shit they come up with.

stringtheory

Dec 18, 2011
Ironman126 said:
xaszatm said:
Ironman126 said:
Vivi22 said:
Ironman126 said:
snip
snip

I can't imagine all those open-top vehicles help. Sounds like Imperial Guard, too. A good friend of mine plays IG and we have play A LOT of 40k, it seems like the winner is determined by who goes first. If my marines are first, it's GG. If he's first, I watch as no less than 4 large blasts wipe out my marines.

Kind of a shame really, the Blood Angels were always so cool. Furioso Dreadnoughts and Baal Predators can only get you so far, especially if you're fighting Eldar with their lances or Tau with their... Everything.

Yikes, sounds like I got out at a good time then (early-mid 5th). Are they still doing horrible things to the fluff or is it half-way decent now? (fuck the 'tomb-kings in space' backstory that new 'necrons' got).

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Ironman126 said:
Ward did, it's how the Grey Knights ended up being untouchable.

Now I think they just don't playtest so they have an excuse to roll out new rules, and books, every couple of years.

bdcjacko

Gone Fonzy
Jun 9, 2010
After reading all the other posts, it makes me wonder where Games Workshop gets off chafing the prices they charge for a broken game?

I use to play before they came out with the Necron and Tau and Dark Eldar. I vaguely remember the Squats. But now everything cost so much before you even field an army. Ugh.

Aug 31, 2012
MinionJoe said:
Did I read that correctly? Thirty bucks for ONE 28mm figure?
Sadly yes. Seeing as you can get 10 Imperial Guard for the same price I can only conclude that this figure is made from highly compacted cocaine, rather than the normal plastic or resin.

Dakkagor

Sep 5, 2011
From the complaints from some of the HILARIOUSLY entitled Blood Angel players, this is a much more reasonable codex that doesn't completely dominate most armies by stomping them flat in turn two with a horde of FNP jumppacking marines and deepstriking murder-dreads. Frankly, it actually sounds almost balanced against marines, guard and the second tier xeno stuff (Necrons and Tyranids I suppose with all their new beasties and the drop-pod . .. thing). I tend to agree that the Tau-dar are still freakin' horrible to go up against, but if you ignore the panzies and the blue anime cows, the rest of the pack starts to look more balanced. Though Orks and Dark Eldar still get to suck it.

Batou667

Oct 5, 2011
Has this new codex had the Matt Ward silliness scrubbed from it, or are the deep striking Land Raiders etc still present?

Ironman126

Dark DM Overlord
Apr 7, 2010
stringtheory said:
Ironman126 said:
xaszatm said:
Ironman126 said:
Vivi22 said:
Ironman126 said:
snip
snip
snip
snip
Yikes, sounds like I got out at a good time then (early-mid 5th). Are they still doing horrible things to the fluff or is it half-way decent now? (fuck the 'tomb-kings in space' backstory that new 'necrons' got).
Decent lore? Hahahaha! No. The lore is still fucking horrendous. Matt Ward left GW, finally, after about 40,000 death threats, so maybe it'll improve in time, but right now, Necrons are space Pharaohs. At least they aren't battle brothers with the Blood Angels anymore. The Grey Knights sit atop a very tall pedestal, but Matt has stopped sucking them off. Oh! And Eldar and Dark Eldar are all friends again, but they won't let each other come over to their houses. Actually, that last bit is the only newish bit of lore that isn't pants-on-head retarded.

In other news, the Sisters of Battle ruined all the Imperial friendship options (there's an actual name, like Ally Matrix or something) and now everyone hates the Imperium with a passion again, except the Eldar, who are "Allies of Convenience;" which basically means if you want to recreate the events of Dawn of War: Winter Assault, you can.

And the Nids have "Norn Queens," but that might have been around before 6th Ed. I don't know anymore. All I know is that my Eldar army is too small, but Aspect Warriors are too damn expensive.

Elijah Newton

Sep 17, 2008
?quietly submitting from the sidelines that the whole IP is irretrievably damaged from a rules perspective and should be torpedoed. Celebrate what it was, but start afresh with something new.

Ironman126

Dark DM Overlord
Apr 7, 2010
008Zulu said:
Ironman126 said:
Ward did, it's how the Grey Knights ended up being untouchable.

Now I think they just don't playtest so they have an excuse to roll out new rules, and books, every couple of years.
I'd almost forgotten about the Grey Knights... I think I tried to block the memory out. I played a game against them once. Once. The only redeeming quality was that the models were illicit, 3D-printed models my friend designed with CAD software. My marines didn't stand a chance. Except the Chaplain. That 4+ invul save can be hilarious.

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
Ironman126 said:
Vivi22 said:
Ironman126 said:

Yeah, my main army when I played were Tyranids. Then 6th came and while flying Monstrous Creatures actually being pretty good in that was cool, assault became useless and classic models like Genestealers went from a genuine threat to utterly useless aside from the Ymgarl ones. And then they released a new Codex after I quit that got rid of pretty much every character unit/model including those so all Genestealers were useless. And now you're saying flying Monstrous Creatures can't do shit? Definitely glad I sold my stuff then. Even if I do miss the days before the Tau update when I could charge a single Dark Eldar Wych or a Genestealer into a unit of Fire Warriors and be pretty much guaranteed to send them running off the table. It was always quite amusing.