Krampus, The Christmas Demon

Devan Sagliani

Apr 21, 2014

It's the most horrifying time of the year. Let Devan explain just why that is.

Read Full Article

the December King

Legacy
Mar 3, 2010
I have always loved the story of Krampus, it is so deliciously... balancing, I guess. Makes getting a lump of coal seem like a blessing.

I'm working on a Krampus mask for (Halloween? Xmas?) next year, but I'll want to try to mimic the goat legs if I can... I wanted to originally make a dumpy satyr costume, which is to say, I just wanted to dress myself as a satyr, but a Krampus costume looks a lot warmer. And meaner.

RossaLincoln

Feb 4, 2014
Jonathan Hornsby said:
Forgive me for asking, but is this legit? I mean I know my fair share about the history of Christmas mythology, but I'd never even heard of Krampus until that episode of American Dad, and honestly thought he was just made up for the show.

Plus, given how cynical and jaded our society has become, Krampus just feels like a modern "counter-Christmas" creation.
It's an older tradition in parts of Europe - for real! - but one that didn't end up transplanted into the Anglosphere when Christmas became a huge deal, culturally, in the 1800s. In recent years it has become much more popular here. It's longstanding and probably has roots to pagan traditions before the full Christianization of Germanic countries and parts of Scandinavia. More here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Krampus

luvd1

Jan 25, 2010
Jonathan Hornsby said:
Forgive me for asking, but is this legit? I mean I know my fair share about the history of Christmas mythology, but I'd never even heard of Krampus until that episode of American Dad, and honestly thought he was just made up for the show.

Plus, given how cynical and jaded our society has become, Krampus just feels like a modern "counter-Christmas" creation.
Oh yes, krampus is real... If you know what I mean.

So does this mean now the USA are now becoming aware of jolly old krampus that he will have his own grotto next to his Best buddy St Nick?

St Nick: Ho! Ho! Ho! Have you been a good boy?

Kid: shut it and give me my present!

St Nick: Oh dear. Oh very, very dear. I think you better go next door if you want your present.

Goes next grotto

Kid: where's my present b*tch!

Krampus: say what m********k? You f****r is so f****d! GET IN MY SACK!!! GET IN TO MY M***********ING SAKE YOU SH*T!!!

Gorrath

Feb 22, 2013
I'm a bit baffled by the American Krampus phenomenon. I spent more than a few years of my youth living in Deutschland and Krampus was something we had in my family's Christmas tradition. No one in the States even knew what the heck I was talking about when I'd bring him up. I wonder what's sparked Krampus becoming a seemingly sudden addition to Christmas here.

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
Krampus isn't really mentioned in Canada or the US, but Krampus Runs are sometimes observed in the Prairies, owing to these provinces' fairly high concentration of German immigrants. I already knew about him, but I'd always considered him as a mildly subversive take on Christmas' overdose of cheer. Dig around a bit, and you'll find American Krampus cards dating back to the twenties and thirties, mostly dialing his Hell-beast cred down to Santa's more salacious and punishment-focused counterpart.

It didn't catch on, though, what with Rule 34 content involving Santa being a dime a dozen. It seems easier for most people to imagine Saint Nick having a bawdy side than to consider that he's balanced out by a womanizing creep who whips naughty kids back into shape.

StoleitfromKilgore

Jul 4, 2014
Thanks for the article! I have grown up in Austria and I vaguely remember being really scared of the Krampus, when I was a little kid. I don't remember much, but I think Nikolaus and Krampus usually showed up together on the 6th of December(at school and at home), even though the official day for Krampus is the 5th (with the 6th being for St.Nikolaus).

The 24th is reserved for the "Christkind" (the child of christmas), of course. I don't remember the bell in connection with the Nikolaus. At least at my home the bell was used by our parents to trick us into thinking, that the "Christkind" had arrived with our presents.

Anyway, in terms of scaring children, god has nothing on the Krampus ;-)

busterkeatonrules

- in Glorious Black & White!
Legacy
Jun 22, 2009
Country
Norway
the December King said:
I have always loved the story of Krampus, it is so deliciously... balancing, I guess. Makes getting a lump of coal seem like a blessing.

I'm working on a Krampus mask for (Halloween? Xmas?) next year, but I'll want to try to mimic the goat legs if I can... I wanted to originally make a dumpy satyr costume, which is to say, I just wanted to dress myself as a satyr, but a Krampus costume looks a lot warmer. And meaner.
Just in case you're open for suggestions, I'm pretty sure a pair of powerskips (or whatever the things are called) could be turned into passable goat legs - given, of course, some skill and creativity!

Krampus IS supposed to have long, thick fur - which should hide the bulkier parts of these contraptions quite well! As for the heel-springs, you could most likely get away with just covering them with some dull black fabric. These kinds of costumes are most commonly used after dark, right?

the December King

Legacy
Mar 3, 2010
busterkeatonrules said:
Just in case you're open for suggestions, I'm pretty sure a pair of powerskips (or whatever the things are called) could be turned into passable goat legs - given, of course, some skill and creativity!
Those, are, FASCINATING! I'm definitely going to look into the potential on these.

A way, way better idea than mine.

Which was to strike a deal with Jesus in an arcane ritual.

ryukage_sama

Mar 12, 2009
moosemaimer said:
Watching Adult Swim last night... they're running something called Kristmas With Krampus.

I'll have to check that out. [AS] has had a fascination with Krampus for a while now. I remember Krampus showing up during the first Venture Brothers Christmas special.

busterkeatonrules

- in Glorious Black & White!
Legacy
Jun 22, 2009
Country
Norway
the December King said:
busterkeatonrules said:
Those, are, FASCINATING! I'm definitely going to look into the potential on these.

A way, way better idea than mine.

Which was to strike a deal with Jesus in an arcane ritual.
It's always a good idea to have a backup plan.

Anyway, I just remembered: I'm pretty sure I've seen a somewhat taller version of those things (they may or may not be called 'spring stilts' or something similar). These would likely look more proportionally correct and thus be easier to hide.

JUMBO PALACE

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 17, 2009
Country
USA
This is the first I've ever heard of Krampus and I honestly wish that here in the States he was more relevant. A fun article to read and an interesting tradition.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
ryukage_sama said:
moosemaimer said:
Watching Adult Swim last night... they're running something called Kristmas With Krampus.

I'll have to check that out. [AS] has had a fascination with Krampus for a while now. I remember Krampus showing up during the first Venture Brothers Christmas special.
"Hey fancy-pants... I've been naughty!"[another epic Brock beatdown ensues] Yeah, that one's a Christmas classic for me now.

It sounds like the Krampus is totally metal as fuck! Threatening horrific pain to the wicked withSt. Nicholas himself pulling on his chain. Well, better him than Holland's Santa sidekick, Black Peter. What is he, Santa's African slave?! Looking at pictures of him makes me think at some point he'll pull a banjo out of his ass and sing "Mammy" or "Camptown Ladies".

IamLEAM1983 said:
It didn't catch on, though, what with Rule 34 content involving Santa being a dime a dozen. It seems easier for most people to imagine Saint Nick having a bawdy side than to consider that he's balanced out by a womanizing creep who whips naughty kids back into shape.
I figure if anyone's more suited for Rule 34, it's the Krampus.

Major_Tom

Anticitizen
Jun 29, 2008
Here in Croatia, you are supposed to clean your boots and put them next to a window on December 5 so St. Nikola (based on an actual historic bishop, not Santa Claus) can leave you presents in them on December 6. If you've been bad, the Krampus leaves you a whipping stick. The person who brings presents on December 25 (or New Year's Day for some people) is called "Grandpa Frost" and if your family is very religious, it's "Little Jesus" who brings the presents.

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
Major_Tom said:
Here in Croatia, you are supposed to clean your boots and put them next to a window on December 5 so St. Nikola (based on an actual historic bishop, not Santa Claus) can leave you presents in them on December 6. If you've been bad, the Krampus leaves you a whipping stick. The person who brings presents on December 25 (or New Year's Day for some people) is called "Grandpa Frost" and if your family is very religious, it's "Little Jesus" who brings the presents.
My family always celebrated that tradition on the 5th. We called it St. Nick, as in the feast day of Saint Nicholas. I didn't hear about the Krampus part until the Venture Brothers though.

iblis666

Sep 8, 2008
Krampus is kind of interesting but i prefer the pre-christian version of santa clause since a eight legged horse is way more bad ass than eight tiny reindeer and a gandalf like figure is way better than some jolly fat man in red and white

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Devan Sagliani said:

It's the most horrifying time of the year. Let Devan explain just why that is.

Read Full Article
My first exposure to the Krampus was because of the Venture Bros. Christmas Special. I've never laughed so damn hard in my life I think. I almost ruptured my spleen... I assume it was my spleen, it hurt in that vicinity for days afterwards.
Anyway, I don't know why I hadn't known about the Krampus before as my family has roots in the legend's colloquial area and my great grandmother on that side was very... odd. I may have heard the story of the Krampus as a very young child but don't remember it well because of the fog of years. Might be why the whole idea of the Krampus speaks to me at a core level.