Cards Against Humanity Sold Poop, and People Actually Bought It

roseofbattle

News Room Contributor
Apr 18, 2011
Cards Against Humanity Sold Poop, and People Actually Bought It

<youtube=57y1Ryr66cM>​
Everyone who bought Cards Against Humanity's Black Friday bullshit special has found out that, yes, they bought poop.

For Black Friday, there would actually be cards inside the box. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/cards%20against%20humanity]

Anyone who was still left thinking maybe Cards Against Humanity couldn't send poop in the mail was left in hilarious despair when the packages arrived. About 30,000 people received their literal bullshit in the mail to discover it is just poop.

But one person's trash is another person's treasure. Some people are reselling the bullshit on eBay at a markup. One even lists it for $36 [http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cards-Against-Humanity-Bullshit-In-Hand-/141504440881?pt=Games_US&hash=item20f2526a31]; Cards Against Humanity sold each box for $6.

Cards Against Humanity co-creator Max Temkin said this was another year in the company's loathing of Black Friday. Last year it sold the card game at a $5 markup on Black Friday.

"We also had the idea of issuing people a one penny off coupon, but that felt weird because it was still a deal," Temkin said. "That's sort of still doing Black Friday."

So Cards Against Humanity settled on bullshit. Temkin said the company wanted to do something nobody else had done. After some searching online on whether you could buy and sell bullshit, the team found a ranch in Texas that sold pasteurized bull feces.

If you bought some poop, don't feel bad. Cards Against Humanity is donating the profits - 20 cents on each box - to Heifer International [http://www.heifer.org/index.html?to=1], a charity for ending poverty and hunger by providing livestock to communities.

Source: TIME [http://time.com/3634443/cards-against-humanity-poop-black-friday/]

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
Someone's getting a 500% markup on Ebay from the box of shit they bought. Huh? Sounds like the typical rare Black Friday product/console release/special edition something or other to me. (Also, late to the party, eh, Escapist?)

This company (or at least its PR department) seems like the bunch pretentious SJWs we are getting quite tired of hearing about with all its anti-Black Friday banter and paper supplier switching. Of course, this could be another PR stunt to get their name out. Some of us on the Escapist thought they were being big drama when they dropped one paper supplier for another (which likely has similar political issues as the last), because of CEO the supporting things they didn't agree with. We might very well see another marketing ploy from them in another six months under the cover of some other sociopolitical agenda they claim to be behind.

Now, for those that bought the box thinking it would have a prize better that actual biological waste, they really did say the box would have genuine bullshit on the website. The jokes on anyone who though otherwise, just like the flood of console boxes being sold on ebay after a launch with the discrete warning you're buying a chunk of cardboard with a logo printed on it.

Avaholic03

May 11, 2009
piscian said:
OMFG why did you touch your camera??? you &*%&%(*% ew ew ew.
Did you read the part about the shit being pasteurized? It's not that disgusting...cleaner than a lot of things you touch every day.

Flames66

Aug 22, 2009
Hairless Mammoth said:
This company (or at least its PR department) seems like the bunch pretentious SJWs we are getting quite tired of hearing about with all its anti-Black Friday banter and paper supplier switching. Of course, this could be another PR stunt to get their name out. Some of us on the Escapist thought they were being big drama when they dropped one paper supplier for another (which likely has similar political issues as the last), because of CEO the supporting things they didn't agree with. We might very well see another marketing ploy from them in another six months under the cover of some other sociopolitical agenda they claim to be behind.
If anyone says they are doing something in support of something they believe in, do you immediately assume it's a publicity stunt? I don't understand that mindset. I despise "black friday" and everything it represents and am in full agreement with the Cards Against Humanity chaps.

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
Flames66 said:
Hairless Mammoth said:
If anyone says they are doing something in support of something they believe in, do you immediately assume it's a publicity stunt? I don't understand that mindset. I despise "black friday" and everything it represents and am in full agreement with the Cards Against Humanity chaps.
I am not saying, nor do I believe, it's just a PR stunt. They could fully be out to get as many people out of the mindless shopper mindset. And, they probably succeeded a little with the unsuspecting poo buyers. Or they could be doing this just to get attention. Likely, it's a little of both. I assume any company with brains is trying to get as much return out of any effort they make, whether it's a personal agenda of a few higher employees or more public recognition, or both.

I don't really like black Friday, either. It was a ploy to get us to buy as much as possible since these "values" would supposedly be gone by the end of the weekend, another way advertisers toy with the human psyche. The good new is it is dying, thanks to business realizing they are in competition with each other and some are extending sales outwards by weeks or improving their customer service. Maybe the Cards fellows should send their customers some information explaining how much of a sham black Friday is and offer donation sales every so often, instead of putting literal shit up for sale on their site.

NickBrahz

Mar 30, 2011
piscian said:
OMFG why did you touch your camera??? you &*%&%(*% ew ew ew.
You know its essentially just dried grass compacted together? didn't you ever throw dried cow/bull shit at your friends in a poop fight?

bartholen_v1legacy

A dyslexic man walks into a bra.
Jan 24, 2009
This makes me want to get this game even more, which is sad since it does not ship outside the US. But I guess that's just part of the mentality.

Cards Against Humanity - Horrible people selling bullshit to horrible people. Just the sheer audacity of this deserves my respect.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
On the one hand, this is hilarious. On the other, it's kinda a shitty move.

bartholen said:
This makes me want to get this game even more, which is sad since it does not ship outside the US. But I guess that's just part of the mentality.

Cards Against Humanity - Horrible people selling bullshit to horrible people. Just the sheer audacity of this deserves my respect.
I have to say that it's a lot of fun to play. But you have to have a dark sense of humor. You seriously have to be able to laugh at racism, sexism, holocaust jokes, and more. I once won a round with the card "foreskin". Basically saying that, once I made it rich, I would build a statue commemorating my foreskin. The girl was just laughing saying that she had trouble imagining such a statue and that's what made it so funny. "What would that look like?"

Lightspeaker

Dec 31, 2011
Hairless Mammoth said:
The jokes on anyone who though otherwise, just like the flood of console boxes being sold on ebay after a launch with the discrete warning you're buying a chunk of cardboard with a logo printed on it.
Hairless Mammoth said:
Maybe the Cards fellows should send their customers some information explaining how much of a sham black Friday is and offer donation sales every so often, instead of putting literal shit up for sale on their site.
In case you missed it they had this on their store page on the day:
FAQ

Are you selling any of your normal products today? No.

Is this actually poop? Yes.

Is it also something that?s not poop? No.

Can I return it when I realize that it?s actually just poop? No.

Is the poop dangerous? No. The poop is sterilized.

Is it legal to mail poop? Only one way to be sure.

Why is the poop only $6? Through the magic of incredible Black Friday super-savings.
Apparently in size 24 Helvetica.

I can somewhat sympathise with people being bamboozled by Ebay ads with tiny little notes of "this is a box, not a console" when its buried in a mass of text because its trying to be deceptive. But the CAH people were VERY clear about exactly what they were selling; reiterating it over and over and responding to people on twitter speculating about it by saying "no, its just poop". And the last point makes it pretty clear they're taking the piss out of Black Friday with it.

Also apparently someone sent them a letter asking CAH to stop sending them. It seems that someone who knows said victim ordered ten of them to be sent.

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
I once worked with a guy who had literal bullshit encased in clear plastic as a paperweight.

It wasn't nearly as disturbing as the other, similar paperweight he owned, that contained a chunk of radioactive glass from one of the Nevada test sites, but still.

He willingly payed actual, real, grown-up dollars for shit.

The radioactive glass was an heirloom, allegedly.

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
Lightspeaker said:
In case you missed it they had this on their store page on the day:
[quote from the CAH site]

Apparently in size 24 Helvetica.

I can somewhat sympathise with people being bamboozled by Ebay ads with tiny little notes of "this is a box, not a console" when its buried in a mass of text because its trying to be deceptive. But the CAH people were VERY clear about exactly what they were selling; reiterating it over and over and responding to people on twitter speculating about it by saying "no, its just poop". And the last point makes it pretty clear they're taking the piss out of Black Friday with it.

Also apparently someone sent them a letter asking CAH to stop sending them. It seems that someone who knows said victim ordered ten of them to be sent.
Um, are you saying I didn't know about the clear warning they gave? Because the first sentence of that first paragragh of mine you quoted was: "Now, for those that bought the box thinking it would have a prize better that actual biological waste, they really did say the box would have genuine bullshit on the website." (Also, most of the ebay box listings I bothered to look up had "this auction is just for the box, not the console is pretty good sized fonts. Suckers just eat them up anyway.)

The fact that they went through the trouble to source and sell, as a card game producer, poop is pretty ridiculous. And the fact people bought it, regardless of truly knowing what they were about to get is even more bamboozling. (Collectors can be weird.) But, these guys are basically reading from the same playbook as Square Enix. (That or they were taking notes from Kingdom of Loathing but stopping before writing down "this is parody.")

They do want attention, both to say black Friday sucks and also to get more customers. I just wish they didn't do crap (pun not intended) like this to get it.

Ajarat

Apr 29, 2014
NickBrahz said:
You know its essentially just dried grass compacted together? didn't you ever throw dried cow/bull shit at your friends in a poop fight?
Farm raised, so yes I do know. I've also thrown / had been hit with Horse-shit, sheep-shit, and cow-shit. In fact, frozen cow-pies make great Frisbees, and if you can stack them well enough you can sit on shit. It can also make great fuel for fire in the early morning before one bucks up a cord of wood.

Citified people are such pussies. I can't wait for the power to go out, we'll be rid of a lot of useless people when that happens, for they won't know how to survive without a super-market. Natural Selection on a huge-scale!

Ark of the Covetor

Jul 10, 2014
Ajarat said:
NickBrahz said:
Farm raised, so yes I do know. I've also thrown / had been hit with Horse-shit, sheep-shit, and cow-shit. In fact, frozen cow-pies make great Frisbees, and if you can stack them well enough you can sit on shit. It can also make great fuel for fire in the early morning before one bucks up a cord of wood.

Citified people are such pussies. I can't wait for the power to go out, we'll be rid of a lot of useless people when that happens, for they won't know how to survive without a super-market. Natural Selection on a huge-scale!
Yes! Why have a society based on learning and expanding our knowledge of reality, and using that knowledge to expand our access to enjoyable things, when we could live in a society run by people who know what it feels like to be hit by multiple different types of animal shit and can finally answer that great philosophical question; how many cowpats does it take to make a seat? I'm convinced, bring on the Pootopia!

Also, probably not a good idea to talk about natural selection while boasting about throwing/being hit by giant chunks of disease vector.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
Finally, my rural upbringing will have some dollar value in the online world! I have to get a supply system rigged up now!

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
Caramel Frappe said:
.. It's so cute, i'd literally buy my friends this just for laughs. To see how they'd feel opening up the little box and getting poop, literally. Darn sure it's worth $6, because of how nicely wrapped it is and how it defied 'You can't get poop in the mail' when surely, yes you can haha.
My army mate tells me that you can send bees in the mail, in opaque cardboard tubes. They're lightly drugged for the journey and understandably peeved when they arrive, and you can put hundreds of them in a tube. So apparently, lots of bored soldiers coming back from exercises with too much money are going to be making their comrades' lives hilariously miserable for Christmas.

You can also send a queen in the mail so people can make their own colony in their room...until the Sergeant Major gets wind of it.