Latest Assassin's Creed Unity Patch is Accidentally 40 GB on Xbox One

roseofbattle

News Room Contributor
Apr 18, 2011
Latest Assassin's Creed Unity Patch is Accidentally 40 GB on Xbox One

Some Xbox One users hoping to install a patch for Assassin's Creed Unity could be waiting a long time.

Yesterday Assassin's Creed Unity [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/ubisoft] to fix several of the remaining problems in the game, which launched a month ago, but the patch is unexpectedly large for one system. The 6.7 GB patch appears as 40 GB for Xbox One.

Ubisoft confirmed this is the case, and it is working with Microsoft on a solution to reduce the size. After all, 40 GB takes a long time to download. Ubisoft stated this problem only seems to appear for Xbox One players who have applied the third patch to Unity.

"This is obviously not the expected behavior, and we apologize that many of you will have to wait longer than expected to complete this download," Ubisoft stated. "This issue isn't causing any other problems and once the download is completed players will have the most-up-to-date and fully patched version of Assassin's Creed Unity."

Ubisoft does not have a timeline for when the problem will be fixed, but it does have a workaround for people with the disc version of the game; if you uninstall the game and reinstall it, the patch will be the right download size.

This problem does not seem to affect anyone on PS4.

The fourth patch fixes performance and stability issues, such as frame rate drops, crashing and lost progression, as well as the navigating and lock picking chests. The patch will also address online problems with connectivity, matchmaking, and the companion app. The patch will be available later in the week on PC. The full patch notes [http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/975386-Patch-4-Release-Notes] are available to read in the Ubisoft forums.

Source: Ubisoft [http://assassinscreed.ubi.com/en-US/community/liveupdates/live_updates_details.aspx?c=tcm:152-188856-16&ct=tcm:148-76770-32]

Zydrate

Apr 1, 2009
Like a trainwreck.

I'll get the game, but in like... two years when everything is fixed.

Veldel

Mitth'raw'nuruodo
Legacy
Apr 28, 2010
Lost in my mind
Country
US
Holy hell ubisoft how many times you going to shoot that now stub of a foot. 40 fucking gigs Jesus it's like everything that can go wrong has and will.

McGuinty1

Oct 30, 2010
This is the text of Ubisoft's email to MS this morning:

hey microsoft I need your help

I accidentally 40GB of .rar files

what should I do...is this dangerous ?

ScrabbitRabbit

Elite Member
Mar 27, 2012
Even without this glitch...

6.7 GB. For a patch.

Holy fuck.

The 40GB glitch is just the mayo on the poop sandwich.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
ScrabbitRabbit said:
6.7 GB. For a patch.
Welcome to the future of gaming son. XD
And people wonder why I tend to play older games more often than newer ones.

OT: Well, that's one massive screw-up for a patch. Hell, with a size like that I'd of used all of my monthly download cap with just that alone.

Aggieknight

Dec 6, 2009
ScrabbitRabbit said:

6.7 GB. For a patch.

Holy fuck.

I was going to type almost the same thing.

AT 6.7GB, that patch is embarrassingly large especially for the fourth one. Lots of people in the States have 250GB data caps...not only have Ubisoft's customers paid $60 for a PoS game, but many have devoted a large portion of their internet for the month letting Ubi faff about pretending to fix it.

Bke

May 13, 2013
The GOG download for the first assassins creed is 2.9 gigs. The whole game unpacks to about 5 gigs. What the clear utter fuck is going on here? I love the assassins series, I've supported it from day 1, but you know there comes a time where something must just die; and I think I hear the bell toll for AC. Please Ubisoft, please end it while there are still some good times to be remembered.

Gone Rampant

Feb 12, 2012
Their patches need patches...

Fuck this, I'm gonna get the GTAV version of the PS4, get Rogue for my AC cravings and leave this unless it's dirt cheep.

47_Ronin

Jul 30, 2012
Haha, I remember way back when Blade Runner was released (late 90s) and it required 150mb to install. A lot of ppl. actually complained b/c it was not unusual to have less total hd space. How times have changed...

Bindal

May 14, 2012
Okay, I might be pointing out the obvious here, but it still begs the question:
HOOOOOOW? How do you turn an already redicilous 6.7GB patch into fourty gigs? That goes against any kind of logic I can think of.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Well, I would wonder how a very basic test of installing the update in sequence would have escaped QA engineers attention, but it seems like they've already demonstrated their ability by missing floating characters and other terrible glitches. Either that or they found the bugs and reported them but a project manager decided to include them anyways due to time constraints on the project.

I'm only giving the QAs the benefit of the doubt because I used to be one. I used to relish in finding terrible bugs and doing a mean spirited dance in front of the developers as I explained just how compromising the bug would. Mmmm, those were the days and I was good at it. Oh well, shame to see QA departments go to use either due to management or lack of talent.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Veldie said:
Holy hell ubisoft how many times you going to shoot that now stub of a foot. 40 fucking gigs Jesus it's like everything that can go wrong has and will.
Let's calculate the damage with Warhammer 40k Rogue Trader...hm...

The force of the attack rips the lower half of the leg away in a stream of blood. The target must make a toughness test or die from shock. On success the target is stunned for 1d10 rounds, takes 1d5 levels of fatigue and suffers Blood Loss. The target only has one leg.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
SupahGamuh said:
Almost 7 gb for a patch... Jesus... Ubi sure knows how to properly optimize a game.
You know what the sad thing is. All of Colonial Marines' patches put together only total about 4 GB...that's really telling in all honesty when it comes to this. :p

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
ScrabbitRabbit said:
6.7 GB. For a patch.
Holy fuck.
Indeed!

But, how the hell is that possible? To turn a 7 GB download into a 40 GB one?
I thought I knew everything about computers, but this just baffles me...

Is it all filled with files you don't really need, cause you already have them?
And what is the problem about anyway? Delete your mysterious 40 GB file and slap the proper, 6,7 GB file you supposedly prepared in it's place; boom, done?!

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Kenjitsuka said:
But, how the hell is that possible? To turn a 7 GB download into a 40 GB one?
I thought I knew everything about computers, but this just baffles me...
I have a theory, but it only depends if something else is in the patch. There may be some sound files inside the patch itself, and Ubisoft didn't compress them when they made the Xbox One patch. Hell, when you see how big uncompressed audio files can get, it adds up to be sure. That of course is depending on if this patch has sound files to begin with, and if there aren't any then there goes my only rational explanation.