The Year in Cosplay: Our 100 Favorites From 2014 (Part One)

roseofbattle

News Room Contributor
Apr 18, 2011
The Year in Cosplay: Our 100 Favorites From 2014 (Part One)

2014 was an embarrassment of riches when it came to great cosplay, and we couldn't pick just one favorite. So you're getting 100. Congratulations!

Read Full Article

greeneggsnoham

Mar 31, 2010
Glad to see cosplay being covered in this way. However, your people need to learn to take photos. The costume is the focus, not the person's face. Some images cut off parts of the costume. For example, how could you cut off the staff of that WoW druid? That was his centre piece! And while I'm at it, why aren't you getting these people's names? So many are not credited. Imagine the reaction if someone started collecting stories from all over the place and not crediting the writers.

RossaLincoln

Feb 4, 2014
greeneggsnoham said:
Glad to see cosplay being covered in this way. However, your people need to learn to take photos. The costume is the focus, not the person's face. Some images cut off parts of the costume. For example, how could you cut off the staff of that WoW druid? That was his centre piece! And while I'm at it, why aren't you getting these people's names? So many are not credited. Imagine the reaction if someone started collecting stories from all over the place and not crediting the writers.
We have a policy of always asking for cosplayer's names. However, not every cosplayer we talk to wants to share their names, and we respect that. The majority of the time, if you don't see the cosplayer credited it's because they asked not to be, honest!

shteev

Oct 22, 2007
I really like cosplay. I might look at some of these articles if there wasn't so much clicking involved.

I know, I know, first world problems and stuff...

Redflash

Mar 21, 2012
shteev said:
I really like cosplay. I might look at some of these articles if there wasn't so much clicking involved.

I know, I know, first world problems and stuff...
Seconded, the Escapist always has such interesting picture articles and I always get about 5 clicks in before the sheer awfulness of their presentation makes me close the window. Take a look at cracked, guys. 5-10 pictures per page, max 3-5 pages per picture article. Makes viewing them enjoyable rather than a chore. You're squandering your own content by continuing to present it in such an inefficient, time-consuming fashion.

Love that Ziggs mind.

BrownGaijin

Jan 31, 2009
Re: 15. I remember a joker fanboy giving her grief until someone properly schooled them. Good times.

roseofbattle

News Room Contributor
Apr 18, 2011
greeneggsnoham said:
Ross already answered your question about credits, but I'll echo what he said. Some people honestly just don't want their name attached to their cosplays.

As far as the way photos are framed, as a cosplayer myself, some of my favorite pictures of my costumes are actually not full body shots! (Those are of course great to have to show off the full costume, but not every picture needs to be a full body shot.) There's a lot of different ways to do portrait/cosplay photography, and it's often hard to see the details of specific things in full body shots because you need to be farther away from the subject. Maybe in the future we can include multiple pictures from different angles.