Reader's Choice Game of the Year Enters the Final Round

Encaen

May 6, 2005
Reader's Choice Game of the Year Enters the Final Round

[http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tournaments/standings/20]

Just a few short weeks ago, there were 16 titles in contention for The Escapist's Reader's Choice Game of the Year. You, dear readers, have voted through three rounds of fierce competition, elevating two deserving games to the final showdown. Now, it's time for you to cast one last vote to determine which game most deserves the coveted Reader's Choice Game of the Year award.

Round 3 had Dragon Age: Inquisition squaring off against the punishing sequel, Dark Souls II. Though it started fairly close, Dragon Age quickly took the lead, and held the dominant position through the rest of the week.

Meanwhile, Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor was doing more or less the same in its matchup against South Park: The Stick of Truth.

Though Dragon Age has a lower percentage of votes cast for it, both games have very similar total votes, which makes calling the winner a crapshoot.

Now, it's up to you. Mordor had the novelty of the Nemesis system, with distinct personalities, and even memories, for dozens of uruk throughout the game. Dragon Age, on the other hand, brings countless hours of voiced dialogue to the table, as well as the ruler's judgment mechanic, and, it could be argued, a deeper narrative with elements ranging from faith to loyalty.

All this begs the question: Which side are you on? Go, vote! [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tournaments/standings/20]

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
I'm going with Dragon Age: Inquisition. It has a stronger story, and story is the most important thing to me. Although I fear that Inquisition is going to end with me having more questions about the world that I did when I started.

Mordor, while fun, doesn't really have a story so far. It just dropped me into the middle of a fight and then I died in a cutscene and now the real game begins. I had heard that the game was like that, but it was still jarring and a bit of a strike against it for me.

Haerthan

Mar 16, 2014
Oh yea, I love me some SOM, but goddamn the story and characters and banter are much better in DAI. Although I will never forget for killing that Uruk 4 times and then dominating his mind his 5th try.

Haerthan

Mar 16, 2014
josemlopes said:
Damn, two really shitty games.

But heh, Wolfenstein isnt even nominated
Thats like your opinion man.

Edit: Although DAI isnt shitty at all and SOM tries to innovate in a way.

Fdzzaigl

Mar 31, 2010
I really hope Shadow of Mordor doesn't win. It had one single mechanic which was sort of innovative, but failed to impress me due to the hilariously easy difficulty. The rest of the game was, in my opinion, fairly drab.

Imre Csete

Original Character, Do Not Steal
Jul 8, 2010
Why does the B movie plot of DA:I get so much love? Only you can save the world estabilished 5 minutes in, and along your merry way you are just slapping the stupid out of people who thought it would be fun to ally with the bad guys. While it has some interesting lore tidbits (only to sequel bait) and occasionally ponders on the whole chosen one thing, it plays it straight because it's just afraid to leave the comfort zone.

Not even the companions could save it for me. DA2 atleast had the Arishok arc, which was decent enough to mitigate Act III.

Sanunes

Mar 18, 2011
Imre Csete said:
Why does the B movie plot of DA:I get so much love? Only you can save the world estabilished 5 minutes in, and along your merry way you are just slapping the stupid out of people who thought it would be fun to ally with the bad guys. While it has some interesting lore tidbits (only to sequel bait) and occasionally ponders on the whole chosen one thing, it plays it straight because it's just afraid to leave the comfort zone.

Not even the companions could save it for me. DA2 atleast had the Arishok arc, which was decent enough to mitigate Act III.
Honestly its because it what people want, there was so much criticism of the story of Dragon Age 2 when they tried something different so they went back to what people want. A power fantasy.

truckspond

Oct 26, 2013
Sseth said:
Shadow of Mordor is button mashing, brainless combat. It was shallow enough that it distracted from the game's other merits for me. I don't get the hype around it tbh...

We really gonna GotY a one trick pony? Weak.
It's better than GotY'ing a game that replaces gameplay with unfair difficulty