Critical Missmass

Colt47

Oct 31, 2012
Ha, aren't we all blowing money fast! And I'm having to join in the return day / reverse boxing day festivities with some stuff I bought on Wednesday.

Dr.Susse

Lv.1 NPC
Apr 17, 2009
I never really mind lazy grey art days because cory's drawing is pretty damn good.

Vendor-Lazarus

Censored by Mods. PM for Taboos
Mar 1, 2009
Do people actually use a controller when playing on a PC, and in this case an FPS as well?

I've seen a few similar depictions around and often ask myself that questions whenever that image pops up.

Or maybe it's just meant as a catch-all depiction for any type of video-game.

Anyhow, Happy Holidays to everyone.

Alcom1

Jun 19, 2013
Vendor-Lazarus said:
Do people actually use a controller when playing on a PC, and in this case an FPS as well?
I play MechWarrior 2 on PC with a GameCube controller, so yes.

Peregrin130

Nov 18, 2009
"Now I Have A Machine Gun !
Ho-Ho-Ho"

Best weapon power up ever (to read slowly with a slight german accent)

Ryallen

Will never say anything smart
Feb 25, 2014
{Gordon_4} said:
{She's being even handed: on the left there's an XboxOne and a WiiU.}
I didn't notice that. But my point was that I thought she was a PC gamer and didn't play on consoles.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
I couldn't tell what that was on the right screen. Is it a Skype call, or is she watching a snuff film?

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Vendor-Lazarus said:

I've seen a few similar depictions around and often ask myself that questions whenever that image pops up.

I can't imagine myself playing the PC version of Dark Souls 1/2 without a controller, so yes, quite a few of us do use a controller on PC... I even like to play some FPS with it, not all mind you, of course it's impossible to play Tribes with a controller.

Vendor-Lazarus

Mar 1, 2009
SupahGamuh said:
Vendor-Lazarus said:

I can't imagine myself playing the PC version of Dark Souls 1/2 without a controller, so yes, quite a few of us do use a controller on PC... I even like to play some FPS with it, not all mind you, of course it's impossible to play Tribes with a controller.
Thanks for answering, though I have to ask a follow-up question to that if you care to humor me.
Is it because it's console-port games or because the .."control scheme" is sluggish/consolized and works equally well with a controller or keyboard and mouse?

My experiences with consoles are limited to NES and Playstation 1, so I'm not up to date with the current generation.
I've mostly played PC games and couldn't fathom a controller being superior to keyboard/mouse, especially when it comes to FPS games and similarly mouse sensitive games.
I do get that racing or fighting games, amongst others can be enjoyed with a controller to a greater extent than keyboard/mouse even though those work as well.

I also didn't catch the consoles in the comic, I just thought she was gaming on the PC and (sigh) "watching" a movie in the background. My bad.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Vendor-Lazarus said:
Is it because it's console-port games or because the .."control scheme" is sluggish/consolized and works equally well with a controller or keyboard and mouse?

I do get that racing or fighting games, amongst others can be enjoyed with a controller to a greater extent than keyboard/mouse even though those work as well.
I like to think I'm 50/50 towards playing either with M+KB and a controller, obviously I'm not playing an RTS or a MOBA with a controller, but neither I'm playing a racing game or a fighting game with M+KB.

As for the FPSes that I like to play with a controller (single player though, with multiplayer M+KB is a must for me), sometimes I just find it more comfortable to play with a controller, even if it means losing a lot more and not pulling off headshots left and right.

As for ports... yeah, sadly most are pretty shoddy and don't even bother to change the control scheme from it's console version, so I just play it with a controller and be done with it.

seule

Jul 21, 2008
Some things just work better with a controller. I played Arkham Asylum and City on PC with a controller, because quite simply, that's what they were made for. I tend to like the fact that I can have more control over the graphics on my PC, but some of the best games were made with console controls in mind, and that is the most enjoyable way to play them. FPS I usually prefer mouse and KB, but in the end, everyone has their preferred set up, and as long as the game is fun, you just go with it.

Vendor-Lazarus

Mar 1, 2009
SupahGamuh said:
Vendor-Lazarus said:

I like to think I'm 50/50 towards playing either with M+KB and a controller, obviously I'm not playing an RTS or a MOBA with a controller, but neither I'm playing a racing game or a fighting game with M+KB.

As for the FPSes that I like to play with a controller (single player though, with multiplayer M+KB is a must for me), sometimes I just find it more comfortable to play with a controller, even if it means losing a lot more and not pulling off headshots left and right.

As for ports... yeah, sadly most are pretty shoddy and don't even bother to change the control scheme from it's console version, so I just play it with a controller and be done with it.
Ah, I see. Thanks again for answering my questions.

I have used other consoles at friends and no matter what console controller it was I always came away with my fingers hurting, be it the insides of my palms, my pinkies, my thumbs or my index fingers. ,)

gamegod25

Jul 10, 2008
SupahGamuh said:
Vendor-Lazarus said:

Sad but true. Some game styles just lend themselves better to a controller, but all to often you have to play a console port with a gamepad because they were too lazy/cheap to properly change the control scheme to fit a PC. It's a real shame honestly.