Dark Horse (Digitally) Bundles Every Star Wars Comic Ever

RossaLincoln

Feb 4, 2014
Dark Horse (Digitally) Bundles Every Star Wars Comic Ever

Holy Sith! For a limited time, you can get everything Star Wars that Dark Horse has ever published.

Well, we've finally reached the end. As announced a year ago [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/131015-Star-Wars-Comics-Leaving-Dark-Horse-for-Marvel-in-2015], beginning January 1, 2015, the rights to publish comic books in the Star Wars universe will belong to Marvel, probably forever. (At least as long as Disney owns both Marvel and Lucasfilm, anyway.)

That's sad news for Dark Horse Comics of course. The intrepid publisher has been the exclusive home for all things Star Wars in comic book form since 1991, helping among other things to flesh out the hugely complicated - and now nullified - expanded universe. But Dark Horse has at least gone out with a bang. Not only did it put a nice cap on things over the summer with a gorgeous adaptation of George Lucas' original draft [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/comicsandcosplay/11918-Rough-Draft-Of-The-Force-The-Star-Wars-Reviewed] of Star Wars, now comes the coup de grace: Earlier today, Dark Horse released, digitally, every single Star Wars it has ever published.

The titles are collected in a single package called the Star Wars Farewell Megabundle. For $300, you can get it all, literally everything - including the complete "Classic Star Wars" reprints of the 80s newspaper strips. The catch: Dark Horse loses the rights on January 1. Thus, you have only 5 days to snap this up before it goes away forever.

If you're interested, and have three hundred Galactic Credits to blow, head over to Dark Horse [https://digital.darkhorse.com/profile/5400.star-wars-farewell-megabundle/] and buy this thing now. And may the Force be with you, always.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
Well that's... different. That sounds like a great deal at first, but with 568 comics for 300$ that's about 1.89$ per comic, which for most isn't much under the cost of them in physical form (and for many is actually above said cost). Plus there's the fact that the title is a little misleading, as it's only every Star Wars comic Dark Horse has made, which understandably excludes Marvel's original run from before Dark Horse got the rights to it.

Edit: woops, did the math wrong, it's 0.53$ per comic. Still not interested though, not in digital ones.

Jadak

Nov 4, 2008
Zontar said:
That sounds like a great deal at first, but with 568 comics for 300$ that's about 1.89$ per comic,
You did your math backwards. Cost per comic = comic number / cost, or about $0.52 per comic. Your 1.89 is comics per $.

Anyways, not interested. If they were physical it might be interesting as a collectors item, but garbage comics in digital form are just digital garbage.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
Hmmm, my sister might want to hear about this.

I don't have the money to spend on such things unfortunately. :/

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
Damn monopolism. People forget that just about everything we see, read, and listen to now belongs to one of 5 corporations.

Saviordd1

Jan 2, 2011
Why so expensive? You can't tell me it's because they want to make money because quite clearly they're losing money no matter what.

Not that I'm complaining. It's a fantastic deal. But it falls in that awkward "Cheap enough to be a deal but too expensive to be plausible" area.

NickBrahz

Mar 30, 2011
Why is it so expensive, i mean yes it is a lot of comics but it is in digital form, selling it at $20 for them all would still net them a profit so why are they being greedy with digital comics.

Also most people that collect comics are after physical right, so people that this bundle is meant to be aimed for are people that never really got into the comic scene, like me but are interested in star wars so having it this expensive just drives people away who may be interested in getting into it because of it being star wars.

Saviordd1 said:
Why so expensive? You can't tell me it's because they want to make money because quite clearly they're losing money no matter what.

Not that I'm complaining. It's a fantastic deal. But it falls in that awkward "Cheap enough to be a deal but too expensive to be plausible" area.
How are they losing money no matter what? it costs cents for them to sell a bundle of comics and have people download them.

sindremaster

Apr 6, 2010
Zontar said:
Well that's... different. That sounds like a great deal at first, but with 568 comics for 300$ that's about 1.89$ per comic, which for most isn't much under the cost of them in physical form (and for many is actually above said cost). Plus there's the fact that the title is a little misleading, as it's only every Star Wars comic Dark Horse has made, which understandably excludes Marvel's original run from before Dark Horse got the rights to it.

Edit: woops, did the math wrong, it's 0.53$ per comic. Still not interested though, not in digital ones.
A lot of those "568" comics are bundles, so its actually a lot more than that.

misg

Apr 13, 2013
I
Saviordd1 said:

I don't think the cost is merely distribution. Those comics would still have royalties to be paid on them. I would guess that up to half that amount is just in royalties to the artists and to Disney that owns the material. If they didn't have to pay royalties, sure I could see them letting it go for say $50 bucks.

Travis Fischer

Feb 1, 2012
The Forces of Chaos said:
Isn't this all worthless now though? Given that the extended universe got scraped? Can anyone explain?
Well, ignoring the fact that the stories themselves are still worth reading on their own merit, for most of the stuff it really doesn't matter anyway.

The Knights of the Old Republic books, for instance, aren't any more or less detached from the new continuity as they were from the old one.

This video will help explain
http://youtu.be/zJKxZOIHv0Q?t=1m

Travis Fischer

Feb 1, 2012
Zontar said:

Not that it matters because this is still overpriced, but that's not an accurate number either. This bundle is counting all the omnibuses as individual issues so the price per comic is probably lower than fifty cents.

Citizen Graves

Jul 19, 2011
The Forces of Chaos said:
Isn't this all worthless now though? Given that the extended universe got scraped? Can anyone explain?
Next stop: erasing the prequel-trilogy from existance and remaking all three prequel-episodes entirely.

cpukill

Feb 26, 2011
For those of us who acquired these comics in a digital form not from Dark Horse (interpret that how you will)...it's actually pretty attractive. And kinda lessens the guilt.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Zontar said:
Still not interested though, not in digital ones.
Yeah, unfortunately this is how most of our generation is going to be seen as the anti-tech grandparents when we have our go at being ancient. I hate reading books online and to ruin the experience of a comic with using a digital format is just awful to me. Hopefully all-digital isn't the future. Maybe if there's some kind of crazy technology that makes you feel like you're turning pages then I won't care. But as is, it is a simple assault on my eyes and classic reading sensibilities. Now get off my yard!