Kojima Trolls Metal Gear Solid Fans on Christmas With Chicken Hat

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Kojima Trolls Metal Gear Solid Fans on Christmas With Chicken Hat

Hideo Kojima once again proves his master-level trolling by taking a three-hour video to introduce MGSV's "Chicken Hat" mode.

Hideo Kojima, the man behind the Metal Gear Solid series, has been long-regarded by his fans as a master troll - for example, when he teased a new "Metal Gear Collection [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/137399-Metal-Gear-Collection-2014-Teased-by-Hideo-Kojima-for-Tokyo-Game-Show]" at Tokyo Game Show, that turned out to be a clothing line. This time, he has taken his trolling to the next level, having fans sit through a three hour video of him opening presents... only to be treated to the announcement of a "Chicken Hat Mode" for Metal Gear Solid V.

Allow me to elaborate. Just before Christmas, Kojima announced that he would be streaming a special broadcast called "Kojima Station" [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4AbskLUQZDM] on Christmas day, which many fans eagerly tuned in for in the hops of some Metal Gear Solid info. Kojima proceeded to open presents and talk about movies for over two hours, but, in the last fifteen minutes of the broadcast, he raised fan's hopes by stating that he had a very special Metal Gear Solid V announcement. Then he showed us the picture you'll see to the right: Snake in a chicken hat.

So what is the chicken hat? It's essentially the game's "easy mode". If you die too many times in a row, or if you get caught out by your enemy a lot, the game will ask you "would you like to use a chicken hat? Yes or no?" If you choose yes, Snake will don the chicken hat, which will slow enemies reaction times, and allow you to see in the dark easier. Think of the golden tanooki suit from Super Mario 3D Land.

If you chose to use the chicken hat, you'll be stuck with it, and snake will be wearing it all the time - even in super serious cut scenes.

Oh Kojima. You troll.

Source: Konami [http://kotaku.com/hideo-kojima-trolled-everyone-on-christmas-because-of-1675339630]

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Y'know, despite having little love for Mr Kojima or his products, I think that's actually pretty damn funny.

Gennadios

Aug 19, 2009
Fans only have themselves to blame. The poor guy just wants to make movies. Stop trying to squeeze water from a rock. Fans not knowing when to back the f* off is what doomed many an anime series.

mysecondlife

Feb 24, 2011
2+ Hours of talking about movie, 15 minutes of taking about the game.

At least Mr. Kojima is very self aware.

seditary

Aug 17, 2008
I think I'd prefer playing through the game with the chicken hat because that's just how I roll in MGS.

Also did Mr Kojima get any nice presents?

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
seditary said:
I think I'd prefer playing through the game with the chicken hat because that's just how I roll in MGS.

Also did Mr Kojima get any nice presents?
He got fifteen bucks off me for Ground Zeroes, does that count?

Haru17

Mar 1, 2014
That's funny, but it is also a direct insult to gamers, or, more likely, new gamers, who want the game easier. Most people are bad at games, so this isn't a great thing to do for their sakes; plenty of people would just like to enjoy the story, sans chicken hat, at an easier difficulty. Options are great for that.

And no, I'm not saying this for my own purposes, so keep the 'lul noob' comments to yourselves, please.

Geisterkarle

Dec 27, 2010
Ha! Well played! Or is it "Well chickened"!?
I think I have to pick up this game just to experience this hat! :)

Genocidicles

Sep 13, 2012
Haru17 said:
That's funny, but it is also a direct insult to gamers, or, more likely, new gamers, who want the game easier. Most people are bad at games, so this isn't a great thing to do for their sakes; plenty of people would just like to enjoy the story, sans chicken hat, at an easier difficulty. Options are great for that.

And no, I'm not saying this for my own purposes, so keep the 'lul noob' comments to yourselves, please.
There are difficulty options in Metal Gear Solid games.

If they cant deal with the easiest difficulty then they just need to git gud or use the chicken hat.

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
Haru17 said:

Its okay, I wont judge you "casuals"... much...

Just messing, I know what you mean. Sometimes people have a lower skill level for a variety of reasons whether its not playing games much or reaction time issues or simply because they are not so adept at figuring out the "systems" and mechanics behind games but like to dick about at their own pace and enjoy a games atmosphere or story, nothing wrong with that at all.

Some people like to get all smug about it, like it matters in any real sense. Maybe pro gamers that depend on it for a living and being prideful they are better than the others in their leagues or whatever it is they have sure but when someone gets all smug face on a forum because they completed Dark Souls 3 hours faster than someone else its just sad.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
You have to wonder if the game would have been out already if he didnt keep adding stuff. I bet this game was just about ready to ship and he said "Hmmmm, yeah i think this game needs a chicken hat". An everyone sighs and returns the celebratory champagne to the fridge.

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
Reminds me of the Skip Level feature in 'Splosion Man, where (if it is used even once) the player is stuck running around in a tutu for the rest of the game. Still, while that kinda suited a silly platformer, the humiliation should burn quite a bit hotter for those who decide to have Snake don the chicken hat. xD

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Now if only they could put Will Arnett's chicken dance into the game...

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Good show Kojima, good show. All one has to do is notice he never really announced he was revealing anything major. Very nice playing on assumptions, sir.

Lieju

Jan 4, 2009
J Tyran said:
Sometimes people have a lower skill level for a variety of reasons whether its not playing games much or reaction time issues or simply because they are not so adept at figuring out the "systems" and mechanics behind games but like to dick about at their own pace and enjoy a games atmosphere or story, nothing wrong with that at all.

Some people like to get all smug about it, like it matters in any real sense. Maybe pro gamers that depend on it for a living and being prideful they are better than the others in their leagues or whatever it is they have sure but when someone gets all smug face on a forum because they completed Dark Souls 3 hours faster than someone else its just sad.
Not to mention people with disabilities or injuries. Which is one reason I wouldn't mind having the option to turn off the combat for example, although depending on the game.
I think different design philosophies work for different games, but in a game where the combat is just a part of the game, why not. And I see no reason you couldn't give the possibility to adjust the level of difficulty. Especially in games that have very different sections. There have been many games where I breezed through with little difficulty until I hit a driving section or something, that was either badly designed or just different and something I wasn't as good at.

This hat seems kinda like a 'hah, you overestimated yourself' sorta deal though.

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
Kojima is still my favorite person ever. He's utterly insane and they gave him full control of the creative direction of the series anyway. Which leads us to situations in which he forced some poor programmer to figure out how to make ice melt realistically on PS2 hardware (Melts faster closer to a heat source, ice cubes that are closer together melt slower, etc), then stuck the ice in one easily missed bucket that you have to knock over and then sit there and watch the ice melt. Or a boss who reads your memory card and requires you to move your controller to the second port so that he can't read the inputs of your controller to dodge your attacks. Or have to go into the status menu and spin your character around so many times that they eventually throw up, summoning a guard to open your cell to check on you, at which point you can ambush him.

Mahorfeus

Feb 21, 2011
Wait, it appears during cutscenes? So we can see Big Boss screaming in anguish while wearing a chicken hat?

I was already sold, but yeesh.

Harry Mason

Mar 7, 2011
In the same game whose precursor involves a teenage girl being gang-raped by soldiers, forced to have sex with a young boy, and then have a bomb sewn into her vagina.

Stay classy, Kojima.