Scarlett Johansson to Star in Ghost in the Shell Live-Action Film

roseofbattle

News Room Contributor
Apr 18, 2011
Scarlett Johansson to Star in Ghost in the Shell Live-Action Film

DreamWorks signs Scarlett Johansson onto a Ghost in the Shell live-action film adaptation, but the film needs to get off the ground.

Following up on this year's action movie Ghost in the Shell [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/lucy].

Cyberpunk Ghost in the Shell, which was originally a manga, follows Motoko Kusanagi, a cyborg who's the squad leader of the Japanese National Public Safety Commission, tasked with fighting technology-related crime.

Johansson, who also plays Black Widow/Natasha Romanoff in the Avengers films, has growing star power associated with her name. Women-led stories in films have a hard time getting off of the ground compared to the many male-dominated films, but Johansson has proven she's a formidable action star, especially with Lucy making $394 million worldwide. Her involvement could lead to this film adaptation of Ghost in the Shell getting greenlit. It is a disappointment, however, that an Asian actress may not be playing Motoko Kusanagi.

DreamWorks principal Steven Spielberg is a fan of the original animated film and has wanted to get this project off the ground for a while, Variety reports. Rupert Sanders (Snow White and the Huntsman) is on board to direct the film. Paramount could come on as co-producer and financier, but there's no firm decision on that yet.

Ghost in the Shell first arrived as a manga in 1989 and was later adapted into an animated film in 1995. In 2002, the same animation company created a television anime series, Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex. Most recently was the film series, Ghost in the Shell: Arise [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/129817-Ghost-In-The-Shell-Arise-Whispers-8-Minutes-Of-Team-Building], four 50-minute animated episodes that completed in 2014. Each adaptation has a slightly different take on Kusanagi and the story, so it will be interesting to see where DreamWorks' live-action adaptation would go.

Source: Variety [http://variety.com/2015/film/news/scarlett-johansson-signs-on-to-star-in-dreamworks-ghost-in-the-shell-exclusive-1201320788/]

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
Well, Johansson does look like she was designed, if I was to imagine a perfect being she'd be up there.

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
Let's just not complain about Johansson starring and instead complain about Rupert Sanders directing.

That's the problem with the film thus far. ;=D

Rawbeard

Jan 28, 2010
nooooooooooooooooo! both for Scarlett "blonde Fran Dresher" Johansson and Hollywood GitS (without the future, or cyborgs, or boobs, or any quistions about the human nature or society, because they will just use some random script and call it GitS and change some names. Probably a discarded Paranormal Activity scrit, because they have read the word Ghost in the title).

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
So is Johansson becoming the go to action flick chick? Much like Milla Jovovich once held said title post-Fifth Element?

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Good, because Lucy was so utterly amazing I really think Scarlet has the acting chops to headline another action movie!
Then again, Motoko Kusanagi is basically ass and tits in a jumpsuit flopping about and sleeping with teenage boys. So I guess just have Michael Bay direct it.

Diablo2000

Tiger Robocop
Aug 29, 2010
The director of Snow White and the Huntsman, heh?

Yep, I just stick around with the two originals movies and Stand Alone Complex, thank you very much.
But I will keep my ear on the ground for this one, maybe it won't suck. Probably will though.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Johansson is a good actress, but I really doubt this movie will be any good at all. Hollywood adaptions of foreign source material rarely works out :/

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Scarlett Johansson is a fine actress, but she's really getting overused now as the hot secret agent character. Plus, I think someone like Rooney Mara would've been a far better choice.

Anyway, I'll be looking forward to where the fuck this is going, what with it taking place in Japan and featuring Japanese characters with Japanese names and whatnot.

Paradoxrifts

Jan 17, 2010
I'm still waiting on James Cameron to deliver on the promise of a live-action Battle Angel Alita. Hollywood's record at adapting anime into live-action movies is abysmal.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Imperioratorex Caprae said:
So is Johansson becoming the go to action flick chick? Much like Milla Jovovich once held said title post-Fifth Element?
For this one I would actually rather have Milla Jovovich, still, I dont know, all in all its an unnecessary movie so meh.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Cans of whitewash still experiencing strong sales in Hollywood...

However, if it must be whitewashed they could do a lot worse than casting The Black Widow as Major Kusanagi, begs the question who will play Batou and Togusa, I always pictured Batou as European simply because he looks European, but Togusa not so much.

I can't help but think that Hollywood will shy away from the heavier themes in GitS and that the film will suffer from it.

V4Viewtiful

Feb 12, 2014
The director is good when it comes to aesthetics but everything else in his films is shaky at best.

madigan

Oct 27, 2010
SJ seems like a decent enough lead to be playing Kusanagi (but it still hurts that they couldn't get a Japanese actress for the role), but the rest of the attached crew (director, writer, producers, etc.) but makes me shiver with dread. I mean, the executive producer's last effort was NEED FOR SPEED (uhg! ) and one of the producers is only known for the GHOST RIDER and BABY GENIUS films (barf! ). They also have the producer behind Spider Man and Iron Man attached, but that wouldn't be enough, especially considering the relatively unknown script writer.

Together, this gives me a very uneasy feeling regarding the whole project. GitS is not a light series. The films and TV shows generally touch on pretty serious topics (when they're not too busy with the T&A or fight scenes), and I don't see the point of making a live action film if its just going to be about SJ running about naked and slaughtering mooks (and occasionally "super" cyborg mooks).

Considering this still sounds like it's in the planning stages, perhaps better people will be attached to it before production and filming starts, but so far this sounds like it will be either a bomb or so far from what GitS is "about" to barely mark it as an adaptation.

Ishigami

Sep 1, 2011
Yea whatever... Production IG already slaughtered GitS may as well rape the corpse for what it?s worth. Go ahead Hollywood see if I care.

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
Ishigami said:
Yea whatever... Production IG already slaughtered GitS may as well rape the corpse for what it?s worth. Go ahead Hollywood see if I care.
Can't get worse than GiTS: Innocence. There's artsy, and then there's pretentious. That was slightly funny, though, for a film about discovering what makes people truly human, there was a shocking lack of any of it on display. Just cold, calculated, rendered computer imagery to distract your brain from thinking about it too hard.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
While Johnssan does got the combat ability to be the Major but she doesn't got her looks

If anything I still vouch for Rinko Kikuchi (Pacific Rim) to be Motoko Kusanagi!

Regardless given Western adaption over eastern stuff then to fail anyway.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
roseofbattle said:
Following up on this year's action movie Ghost in the Shell [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/lucy].
...Hmm...

DreamWorks principal Steven Spielberg is a fan of the original animated film and has wanted to get this project off the ground for a while, Variety reports.
...Hmm...!

Rupert Sanders
Hmm?

(Snow White and the Huntsman)
...Oh. (*sigh*)

V4Viewtiful

Feb 12, 2014
Johansson played an alien in human skin, her being a robot woman can only be more awesome :p

Mind, if this ends up being successful (not suck) a Deux Ex game may just be around the corner.