It's a Good Time to Start Watching Gotham

Mike Hoffman

In the middle of calibrations...
Sep 25, 2013
It's a Good Time to Start Watching Gotham

?Rogues? Gallery? introduces new characters, Arkham Asylum, and better writing. It?s time to start watching Gotham.

Read Full Article

Sanunes

Mar 18, 2011
Watching this episode made me think they had the first half of the season to a point of no return in production to adjust for what people were saying at the first couple of episodes aired. Its far from a perfect episode, but it was definitely one of my favorites of the series.

Jan 12, 2012
Was it just me, or was Barbara more convincing as the jilted shouting ex than she ever was as the romantic partner of either cop?

Mike Hoffman

In the middle of calibrations...
Sep 25, 2013
Burnouts3s3 said:
Why did Ivy decide to pick up the phone and prank Barbara for?
That is an excellent question! (that would've been all caps, but Code of Conduct).
That whole story was pointless, right? I mean, I guess it characterized Selina as having a soft spot for Ivy and Ivy as being manipulative and cruel, but still, pointless scene.

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
Mike Hoffman said:
Burnouts3s3 said:
That is an excellent question! (that would've been all caps, but Code of Conduct).
That whole story was pointless, right? I mean, I guess it characterized Selina as having a soft spot for Ivy and Ivy as being manipulative and cruel, but still, pointless scene.
I guess they just felt like Maroni scolding Penguin wasn't enough of a C-plot, so they threw in a D-plot? I don't know, I thought both those scenes were really odd additions to an otherwise great episode.

Comic Sans

DOWN YOU GO!
Oct 15, 2008
Country
United States
Better writing? Huh? The entire episode hinged on characters acting insanely dumb, much like the rest of the show. The specific moment they all put on the stupid cap stands out well. When Bullock is interviewing the pointlessly antagonistic warden about the people he works with, and then he suddenly has an incredibly unsubtle I AM HAVING A REALIZATION face. Then everyone starts acting insanely stupid. Gordon goes to the basement, fine. Then for some reason the doctor shows up in this place nobody goes to. Then when the guard investigating attacks on inmates gives her a pointed look and repeatedly tells her to leave, she stands there going DURR WHY I DON'T UNDERSTAND. Which allows this old woman to run at her and throw her. And then it turns out the "nurse" was an inmate all along. WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT? This NEVER gets explained. Why is an inmate allowed to roam free, why do they act like she's staff, why do the guards not know? That was so contrived it was painful. And then somehow the sociopath had been doing shock experiments to take over people's minds. Never mind the fact that he just got the keys, and somehow had to get the car battery, jumper cables, electrodes, etc in the basement as a prisoner. That entire climax was contrived and stupid.

And that's not even taking into account the D-plots that accounted the rest of the episode. Outside maybe the gangster stuff, nothing anyone else did mattered. The very end of the finale was Barbara getting with Montoya, that's done in less than 2 minutes of time on screen. They don't spend time developing problems, they just say they are there so they can move on. And then she is fooled by a 12 year old on the phone and has a hissy fit, despite being the one who has been sleeping around. That scene was hilarious. Both my friend and I completely lost it at that scene, it was so ridiculous. She had to pause so I could finish laughing. Besides Barbara continuing to be one of the worst written characters on TV, the bit with Selena and Ivy was just there to pad out the character cameo count (REMEMBER GUYS THIS IS BATMAN, SEE BATMAN CHARACTERS), and the bit with Penguin was beyond pointless. This show already tries to juggle so many plots and characters, wasting time on this stuff really hurts the show. Especially given how much they already rush things (see Barbara and Montoya).

I have heard this show's delivery compared to that of a mother bird feeding her young. It takes good ideas in, but then vomits them out as a haphazard mush. There are little bits I like at times. But the actual result when it all comes together is just a mess. I continue to watch it because myself and others find it to be a fascinating train wreck. Maybe this show call pull it together. But a show with as poor writing as this, that falls apart the second you think about it, it has a lot of work to do.

Risingblade

Mar 15, 2010
Mike Hoffman said:
Burnouts3s3 said:
Or they just wanted to remind us that Ivy is suppose to grow up to be evil. Can't have us feeling too sorry for our future villains.

Jeroenr

Nov 20, 2013
Lvl 64 Klutz said:
Mike Hoffman said:
Burnouts3s3 said:
I guess they just felt like Maroni scolding Penguin wasn't enough of a C-plot, so they threw in a D-plot? I don't know, I thought both those scenes were really odd additions to an otherwise great episode.
Most characters are still being developed, but yeah sometimes it doesn't work quite right.

But it was good to see penguin overreaching and getting put back in his place for ones.
I do like his Character development, but he was climbing the mob ladder a bit to fast.
Also i don't really get Maroni's soft spot for penguin, others got capt for less.

But the fish mooney double, tripple, quadruple cross (lost count at this point) keeps interesting.