Uncharted 4 Story And AI Companion Revealed

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Uncharted 4 Story And AI Companion Revealed

Uncharted 4 will feature new multiplayer content, less linear environments, and the introduction of a new Naughty Dog AI Companion.

Remember when the Uncharted movie was announced, and <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/107928-Uncharted-Movie-Director-Responds-to-Fan-Criticism>it was about the entire Drake family instead of just Nathan? It turns out that Uncharted 4's story is taking a slight step in that direction. According to a recent preview, the upcoming Uncharted sequel introduces Sam Drake - Nathan's long-lost brother - who will be an AI companion much like Ellie was in The Last of Us. Except instead of growing to love the AI character, it sounds like Naughty Dog will take the opposite approach by using Sam to create dramatic tension.

Set three years after the trilogy ended, Uncharted 4 opens with Nathan and Elena living together instead of breaking up between games. That's also when Sam returns, seemingly from the dead, and convinces Nathan to return to an adventuring lifestyle. Their goal: Libertalia, <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/columns/criticalintel/10863-Decoding-the-Uncharted-4-Teaser>a mythical colony in Madagascar founded by pirates. The twist is that another pair of treasure hunters have the same plans, prompting a race to see who can reach the fabled location first.

Like Naughty Dog's last game, Sam will be controlled by the AI over the course of the story. "AI companions" is a phrase that rankles many fans, but in Uncharted 4's case that may be the point. Nathan will clearly be a far more capable treasure hunter than Sam, prompting a slow increase of jealously and recklessness that defines the plot of the game.

The preview goes into detail about other features, like less linear environments, clues for artifact locations, and the return of Uncharted's multiplayer mode. But if you're a fan of previous Uncharted games, the story is probably what you're interested in, and this one sounds like it goes into un... familiar territory.

Source: VH24/7

Veldel

Mitth'raw'nuruodo
Legacy
Apr 28, 2010
Lost in my mind
Country
US
Considering how well Ellie handled and them being able to utilize and work with the way it works better now I welcome this. I think it might add some fun new puzzles or ways to do some things in the platforming aspect.

RealRT

Feb 28, 2014
No! Bad Naughty Dog! Go in the corner and think about what you are doing! AI companions_fucking_suck. They are nothing but a digital avator of annoyance.

ddrkreature

Jun 24, 2013
Been a fan of Uncharted since the first game and I have no reason to doubt this one. Should be a worthy addition to the series. With the mechanics shown in the alpha gameplay, it should add more depth to combat and exploration which is always welcome

Veldel

Mitth'raw'nuruodo
Legacy
Apr 28, 2010
Lost in my mind
Country
US
RealRT said:
No! Bad Naughty Dog! Go in the corner and think about what you are doing! AI companions_fucking_suck. They are nothing but a digital avator of annoyance.
I was never bothered or annoyed by Ellie or Elizabeth.

They can be done right and enjoyable.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Okay, I'm good with this. I do have a question though.

What exactly happened to Nate's family? While I've played and enjoyed the games, I don't remember this ever being brought up, though I'm sure it was. The only thing I remember is that he was a little boy running around the streets. Was it ever mentioned that he had a brother or a family?

Also, glad to see that Elena and Nathan are actually staying together this time around. It always bothers me when developers and writers decide to split up the love interest between games. It comes across as lazy writing to me.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Wait, I thought "Nathan Drake" was just some orphan from the streets of South-America... How does he have a brother, unless through adoption?

From what little gameplay I've seen it does seem to take a page from Tomb Raider '13, where it's basically linear, but with wider more open sections weaved throughout.

It does look very nice and I will probably buy it, but after The Last of Us it kind of feels like going back into the kiddie pool.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
Fanghawk said:
... opens with Nathan and Elena living together,instead of breaking up between games.
QOTD. It was completely ridiculous by Uncharted 3, I'm so glad they're going to stop.

Eclipse Dragon

Lusty Argonian Maid
Legacy
Jan 23, 2009
Country
United States
Sniper Team 4 said:
Okay, I'm good with this. I do have a question though.

What exactly happened to Nate's family? While I've played and enjoyed the games, I don't remember this ever being brought up, though I'm sure it was. The only thing I remember is that he was a little boy running around the streets. Was it ever mentioned that he had a brother or a family?
We never really got information about his family. I personally wouldn't be surprised if this "long lost brother" isn't actually his brother at all, or is secretly a villain or both.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
Oh, so that's how they keep shutting down the harbor so quickly. SECRET PIRATES.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Well at least it's not "more of the same".

RealRT said:
But these are the same guys that did The Last of Us...

RealRT

Feb 28, 2014
Johnny Novgorod said:

RealRT said:
Yeah, and it's turning into a trend. Yeah, Uncharted 4 might do it well, but remember, what does the industry do with successful new things? That's right, it copies them to all hell. Now, how many developers are there with budget AND talent scope of Naughty Dog? The only ones that come to mind are Sony Santa Monica. If this becomes a trend, and it very well might, expect a future full of AI compantions. Most of which are going to do what AI companions do best - ruin the fucking game.

jhoroz

Mar 7, 2012
RealRT said:
Johnny Novgorod said:

RealRT said:
Yeah, and it's turning into a trend. Yeah, Uncharted 4 might do it well, but remember, what does the industry do with successful new things? That's right, it copies them to all hell. Now, how many developers are there with budget AND talent scope of Naughty Dog? The only ones that come to mind are Sony Santa Monica. If this becomes a trend, and it very well might, expect a future full of AI compantions. Most of which are going to do what AI companions do best - ruin the fucking game.
The whole AI companion has been done well before The Last of Us by Naughty Dog, and done pretty well. Tenzen from Uncharted 2 is a good example, so I don't see how they can fuck it up with this game. Whether other companies decide to run this idea into the ground is completely irrelevant to my interest with this game.

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
RealRT said:
jhoroz said:
The whole AI companion has been done well before The Last of Us by Naughty Dog, and done pretty well. Tenzen from Uncharted 2 is a good example, so I don't see how they can fuck it up with this game. Whether other companies decide to run this idea into the ground is completely irrelevant to my interest with this game.
Indeed; before Ellie from The Last of Us and Elizabeth from Bioshock: Infinite, Half Life's own Alyx was the best AI companion I'd seen. She still holds up pretty well.

It's been done before, both well and poorly. I hardly think AI companions are the single greatest element in any game, especially not the ones listed above; the games industry and it's consumers have far bigger worries than a few poorly scripted AI partners.