Valve's First Ever Anime Games Sale Begins Now on Steam

roseofbattle

News Room Contributor
Apr 18, 2011
Valve's First Ever Anime Games Sale Begins Now on Steam

Titles like Hatoful Boyfriend and Long Live the Queen are on sale this weekend in the first Anime Games Sale on Steam.

The latest Steam [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/steam] sale discounts over 40 games with an anime style, the company announced today. Select games are on sale up to 75% off.

The first Steam Anime Weekend Sale includes better known silly games like here. [http://escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/hatoful%20boyfriend]

While the list might be a little sparse for people who are already fans, there are some good games at a nice price. Maybe romance some birds or level up your princess and try to avoid death.

The sale will end Jan. 12 at 10 a.m. PST.

Source: Steam [http://store.steampowered.com/sale/anime_sale]

w23eer

Mar 13, 2014
Recettear was on sale last weekend too. They must REALLY want people to buy that game (and they should, it's great).

As for myself, I've been really itching to try out the Ys Series for a while (as in, years) and this seems to be a good chance to finally get into it.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
w23eer said:
Recettear was on sale last weekend too. They must REALLY want people to buy that game (and they should, it's great).

As for myself, I've been really itching to try out the Ys Series for a while (as in, years) and this seems to be a good chance to finally get into it.
You should. It's like 2D Zelda with a splash of the Mana games. That game I've been writing will play like Ys.

Roofstone

May 13, 2010
Long Live the queen is a great buy, it has a neat story with many cool options. Though it does have the visual novel gameplay, so if that isn't your thing.. Well.

Someone Depressing

Jan 16, 2011
Well shit, even I can date birds now! The world is full of endless possibilities... but most of all, romancable pigeons. This justifies my entire existence.

Damnit Steam, why must you batter my poor wallet? Has it not suffered enough? You are a cruel mistress. (almost as cruel as those goddamn pigeons)

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
That's okay, I didn't need to eat this week anyway.

Picked up some VNs I'd been meaning to try(World End Economica, Analogue/Hate Plus, Planetarian), both the Ys games, Blade Kitten, BlazBlue and Recettear. That should keep me busy for a while. Not that I needed something to fill the time after the winter sale, DAI coming out, and all the other Steam sales I've taken advantage over the year have filled my gaming queue beyond the limits of my already substantial free time.

First world problems indeed.

RandV80

Oct 1, 2009
Hah, I've actually been kind of annoyed at this recently, how they're all lumped together as 'anime games'. As a life long JRPG fan, yes I want to buy & play games like Y's games and Trails in the Sky on Steam, as well as console ports like Valkyria Chronicles and maybe FFXIII. But with the new recommendations feature now Steam just throws all the rest of the japanophile stuff at me. Not really a big deal as I like the recommendation system but it's still kind of a nuisance.

And for anyone that's interested The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky, Ys: The Oath in Felghana, and Ys Origin are all very good JRPG's. Recettear as well.

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
It's funny. Their were NO games like this on steam 5 years ago. Then Recettear came out on steam and did well and now they hold a considerable market share on steam., and now they hold a

RandV80

Oct 1, 2009
Also I'm curious, anyone play either of the Agarest: Generations games? Looks like it could be okay, but then there also seems to be a dating sim side to it. That's what some anime fans want so I have no problem with that but what I would call the 'shonen pandering' stuff just isn't for me. If it's minimal enough then maybe I could enjoy Agarest, but I'm not so sure...

WindKnight

Quiet, Odd Sort.
Legacy
Jul 8, 2009
Cephiro
Country
United Kingdom
sign me up as someone recommending Reccetear. Chantelise is a maybe (actually the game made before Reccetear and it shows - its a straight action RPG, and not as polished as Reccetear, though the story and characters are just as charming). Also, Analogue: a Hate Story and Hate-Plus have some great storytelling, though prepare for some emotional gut punches (also, have some baking supplies handy for Hate Plus)

EDIT: and of course, cant forget Long Live The Queen, with its delightfully morbid death illustrations (cause your going to die, a lot, before you get through it)

Fractral

Tentacle God
Feb 28, 2012
I already had Ys: The Oath in Felghana (and King of Fighters XIII, which I most certainly don't remember ever buying) but I picked up Reccetear and The Legend of Heroes for a pretty decent price. I'd have gone for Long live the Queen and Hatoful Boyfriend as well, but I don't see myself ever playing a VN on PC. If they were on the PS Vita, then I might consider it.
Hopefully more JRPG's like this come to steam in the future, especially since Square Enix seems to be porting some of their library to the platform.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Mmm I admit one of them is on my wishlist (Sakura Spirit) but in saying so I am not too keen to buying it straight (I only list it cos GameGrump did a funny video on it). Does anyone knows if it's worth getting since I never really played visual novels like games before.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
RandV80 said:
Also I'm curious, anyone play either of the Agarest: Generations games? Looks like it could be okay, but then there also seems to be a dating sim side to it. That's what some anime fans want so I have no problem with that but what I would call the 'shonen pandering' stuff just isn't for me. If it's minimal enough then maybe I could enjoy Agarest, but I'm not so sure...
I haven't played them yet, but I think it's like Massive Challice. You're protagonist has an adventure, falls in love, and settles down with his wife. Then you play as the characters child, and continue the story from there. It's an interesting concept, as long as its not one of those creepy fanservice titles. I kind of like the idea of playing as the protagonists son, or a story that spans entire generations.

Anyway, I felt this one in the wallet. I got a lot of games on my wish list, and I'll probably buy the rest in a future sale. It's funny, since I escaped the Winter Sale unscathed. Damn you, Steam!

Revnak_v1legacy

Fixed by "Monday"
Mar 28, 2010
I don't know whether my visual novel addicted friend will be happy or disappointed with this, given that I'm pretty certain he may have bought virtually all of the visual novels on steam already. Also, my friend who recently bought around five games that just got put on this list probably wishes he waited a month now.

RandV80

Oct 1, 2009
Fox12 said:
RandV80 said:
I haven't played them yet, but I think it's like Massive Challice. You're protagonist has an adventure, falls in love, and settles down with his wife. Then you play as the characters child, and continue the story from there. It's an interesting concept, as long as its not one of those creepy fanservice titles. I kind of like the idea of playing as the protagonists son, or a story that spans entire generations.

Anyway, I felt this one in the wallet. I got a lot of games on my wish list, and I'll probably buy the rest in a future sale. It's funny, since I escaped the Winter Sale unscathed. Damn you, Steam!
Yes and this was done a long time ago as well, way back on the Genesis with Phantasy Star 3. Get to the end of the characters adventure, get an option to pick form one of two female story characters to be your wife, then continue the story as their offspring.

Nothing wrong with that in itself, it's a pretty good idea and romance has long been a part of JRPG's. But like you said it's the creepy fanservice thing. With anime/manga fanservice has pretty much become a genre unto itself, and often whatever story setting used is little more than a vessel to deliver the fanservice. This is what some people want but it's not what I want to spend my money on. And the title picture of 'Agarest: Generations of War' doesn't look very promising here, with it showing a lead character surrounded by at least one scantily clad bondage loli girl and 3 others you can't really make out.

On the other hand it seems like they've toned it down fort he sequel 'Agarest: Generations of War Zero', which by reviews seems to be the same game but slightly better. I guess I'm better off clarifying this on the directly Steam forum.

Rozalia1

Mar 1, 2014
Eric the Orange said:
It's funny. Their were NO games like this on steam 5 years ago. Then Recettear came out on steam and did well and now they hold a considerable market share on steam., and now they hold a
Really now? Such a minuscule amount is "considerable"? Anyway not all these games started as animes, a web comic game is in there, and Legend of Korra isn't an anime... you know I'm trying to remember where that came up and someone said it might as well be that got a smile out of me... what was it? Weeklytube show?

Lost In The Void

When in doubt, curl up and cry
Aug 27, 2008
Scarim Coral said:
Mmm I admit one of them is on my wishlist (Sakura Spirit) but in saying so I am not too keen to buying it straight (I only list it cos GameGrump did a funny video on it). Does anyone knows if it's worth getting since I never really played visual novels like games before.
It's pretty terrible, there are much better VNs out there. I say that as someone who regularly plays terrible VNs for fun.

Svarr

Nov 2, 2011
Long Live the Queen is a very tough game, don't be fooled by the cute graphics and girly looks, it's a nightmare to get a good ending and takes lots of planning and foresight to survive even for seemingly easy tasks.

Think King's Quest but with stats instead of travel and a great storyline to boot.