Mass Effect's Commander Shepard "Originally a Woman"

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Mass Effect's Commander Shepard "Originally a Woman"

[tweet t=https://twitter.com/GameAnim/status/553593427720282114]

Ex-BioWare animator Jonathan Cooper has said that the earliest design for Commander Shepard was female.

One of the core features of a a majority of players worked their way through the trilogy as a man, there was a consensus among many other gamers that Jennifer Hale's performance as female Shepard was leagues superior to her male counterpart. To many, <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/femshep>FemShep was the franchise's one true protagonist.

It would now seem that that sect of fans might not have been too far off. While male Shepard would go on to become the series' default, a recent Tweet from ex-BioWare animator Jonathan Cooper has indicated that the earliest design for Commander Shepard was "originally a woman." Cooper offered as evidence a clip of the original animation test for Shepard. The clip showcases a gray female character model running forward before turning from side to side. In <a href=https://twitter.com/GameAnim/status/553601079376506880>a follow-up Tweet, Cooper revealed that the animation was based on "repurposed mocap" from the studio's previous RPG, the grossly underrated Jade Empire.

Now granted, when you get down to it, this revelation doesn't mean all that much in the grand scheme of things. Even if this first bit of animation was modeled around a female Shepard, Cooper himself affirmed that BioWare had "always planned [for Shepard] to be both male [and] female." Regardless, it's still a neat fact about the game's development, especially when you consider how long it would take for BioWare to make FemShep a bigger part of <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/111077-BioWare-Adding-Female-Shepard-to-Mass-Effect-3-Marketing>the series' marketing.

Source: <a href=https://twitter.com/GameAnim/status/553593427720282114>Twitter

Orbot_Vectorman

Cleaning trash since 1990
May 11, 2009
Neat! I kinda wonder what it would have been like had they kept the story linear with Commander Shepard being permanently a female character.

SNCommand

Aug 29, 2011
Orbot_Vectorman said:
Neat! I kinda wonder what it would have been like had they kept the story linear with Commander Shepard being permanently a female character.
Lots of lesbian space aliens, not that I would complain

StatusNil

Oct 5, 2014
Dat slow news season, eh? Yes, Mass Effect was always going to have a choice of protagonist gender, as the guy himself tweeted after that. Shocking news? Wake me if someone discovers a good ending for the trilogy.

Also, the "consensus" among the people who agreed that Hale was the better performer is a tautology. Yep, people who agree with each other do have a consensus.

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
And?
Halo was originally PC exclusive. Gears of War was originally FPS.
"Originally" means nothing.

Also by my information there was "consensus" by "many" "players" that Geralt was the best Shepard

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
blackrave said:
And?
Halo was originally PC exclusive.
Actually, it was originally gonna be released exclusively for the Dreamcast, and when the Dreamcast tanked it was going to be released for the PS2, Xbox, and PC. Other than that, your point is entirely correct. :3

Imperioratorex Caprae said:
So why was her animation in the final game just reskinned from the MaleShep?
Why make unique animations for another model when you can simply use the same one for the opposite gender. Obsidian did the same thing with the Pimp Boy 3 Billion by using the male mesh model for female players...and it resulted in the female characters holding the Pimp Boy at an odd angle whenever you bring it up. :p

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Neronium said:
blackrave said:
And?
Halo was originally PC exclusive.
Actually, it was originally gonna be released exclusively for the Dreamcast, and when the Dreamcast tanked it was going to be released for the PS2, Xbox, and PC. Other than that, your point is entirely correct. :3

Imperioratorex Caprae said:
So why was her animation in the final game just reskinned from the MaleShep?
Why make unique animations for another model when you can simply use the same one for the opposite gender. Obsidian did the same thing with the Pimp Boy 3 Billion by using the male mesh model for female players...and it resulted in the female characters holding the Pimp Boy at an odd angle whenever you bring it up. :p
It just seems worse that they were already modeling/skinning/skeletoning (not a word) a femshep at the beginning but decided to drop that in favor of "reskin male, nobody will notice". To me thats worse than Ubisoft not even bothering to do a fem char in Unity.

PirateRose

Aug 13, 2008
Then the whole walking animation thing really baffles me then. It still bugs me they motion captured real strippers for the dancers in the clubs, but couldn't motion cap a woman walking for female Shepard's walking animation.

You know who else was originally designed and animated as a woman? Starkiller from the Force Unleashed series https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lVB-_a-VUc . It's amplified by the fact when they do show a male player character, it's CGI instead of in game play. They apparently didn't have a character designed & animated for a dude in game. They waffled with the idea of a choice of gender to do a KOTOR rpg thing, and then they decided to go full on man.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
blackrave said:
And?

Also by my information there was "consensus" by "many" "players" that Geralt was the best Shepard
What? The guy who can't ever speak in a voice other than a bored monotone even when he's accusing someone in an angry mob of being a rapist?

Pass on him.

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
erttheking said:
blackrave said:
And?

What? The guy who can't ever speak in a voice other than a bored monotone even when he's accusing someone in an angry mob of being a rapist?

Pass on him.
Still more badass than Shepard and Hawke combined.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
blackrave said:
erttheking said:
blackrave said:
And?

Pass on him.
Still more badass than Shepard and Hawke combined.
And? It doesn't matter how many badass points you have, that doesn't make you any less of a insufferably boring character. And really, Geralt isn't that much of a badass. Story wise AND gameplay wise.

MrHide-Patten

Jun 10, 2009
It still makes me INCREDIBLY sad when I think up of that info graph they published some years ago that showed only about 11% of players went with Femshep. Tried playing as a Manshep, and even the much pandered Mirandas arse couldn't make me play that through more.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Charcharo said:
erttheking said:
blackrave said:
And?

Pass on him.
Well...

Opinions...

I prefer Geralt by a LANDSLIDE :p
Does not make you OR me right/wrong.

Then again he has an unfair advantage - 8 books (great ones) with him as a main character.
Fair enough. I'm mainly going by the games.

Question, I know Geralt was supposed to be world weary, but he could emote right? That's just his voice actor not doing the character justice right?

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
erttheking said:
And? It doesn't matter how many badass points you have, that doesn't make you any less of a insufferably boring character. And really, Geralt isn't that much of a badass. Story wise AND gameplay wise.
Comparing to Shepard? I completely disagree.
Even renegade Shepard doesn't come even close to Geralt.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
So wait...if Shepard was always supposed to be a choice, male/female, how was Shepard originally a female? You have a wire animation, yes, but based on the facts this is simply the first glimpse of FemShep, not "OMG! SHEPARD IS A WOMAN! OMG OMG!"

Unless you can prove the very first concept design, as in that old napkin for a bar where someone doodled Shepard's face for the fist time some Tuesday night at 9:07 pm was of a woman, all you've 'uncovered' is that FemShep was CG and not an live-action actress. Which, given the fact its a video game, I assumed as read.

Redryhno

Jul 25, 2011
So...is this really news to anybody? It's an rpg that allowed varying levels of customization, Commander Shepard is a human, that's about the only set in stone thing. Everyone had their own Shepard, and about the only canon there is is that Sovereign was found and beaten, the Collector's were destroyed, and Eden Prime is screwed beyond all recognition.