Get a Look at Sheogorad in the Fan-Made Morrowind Remaster

Sarah LeBoeuf

Apr 28, 2011
Get a Look at Sheogorad in the Fan-Made Morrowind Remaster

The Elder Scrolls Renewal Project has released new alpha footage from its ambitious Morrowind-themed Skyrim mod.

It's been over a year since we Sheogorad [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/131032-Skywind-the-Morrowind-in-Skyrim-Mod-Gets-Impressive-Dev-Video], a maritime province made up of over two dozen islands off Morrowind's north coast. According to the developers, "We wanted to give this region new assets to help it stand out from other areas of Morrowind, and in turn, have changed its original formations," which is why this footage from the latest Skywind alpha build may look different from the Morrowind you remember.

As we reported last January [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/131573-Skywind-Team-Reveals-Glorious-New-Savagery-Trailer], "this isn't just a straight-up port of the original game; the 70-strong Skywind team is rebuilding Vvardenfell in its entirety with modern assets, so that the shattered island will look appropriately barren without being empty." The Elder Scrolls Renewal Project is working with the blessing of Morrowind publisher Bethesda Softworks to put the 13-year-old Elder Scrolls RPG into the three-year-old Skyrim engine, thus melding the two entries in the long-running series.

There's no release date for Skywind yet, and as it appears to still be in alpha testing, it will probably be a while. The Renewal Project team previously worked on Morroblivion, a Morrowind mod for 2006's Oblivion, and they're also working on a Skyrim/Oblivion mash-up appropriately titled Skyblivion. I love the idea of fans breathing new life into years-old games, and since I've had a giant RPG-sized hole in my heart since I finished Skyrim and all of its expansions, Skywind might be exactly what I'm looking for to tide me over until the next Elder Scrolls game is released.

Source: Polygon [http://www.polygon.com/2015/1/10/7525625/morrowind-HD-remaster-skyrim-pc-mod-skywind-fans]

Alexander Kirby

Mar 29, 2011
After getting used to how Skyrim looks with ENB and over 150 HD texture and mesh mods, I must say it so far looks more plain than vanilla Skyrim. Considering there's apparently 70 people working on this I expected more, but we'll see how this looks when it's done.

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
Alexander Kirby said:
After getting used to how Skyrim looks with ENB and over 150 HD texture and mesh mods, I must say it so far looks more plain than vanilla Skyrim. Considering there's apparently 70 people working on this I expected more, but we'll see how this looks when it's done.
You can see for yourself just how Sheogorad looks right now, if you want; he's doing a landscaping livestream:
http://www.twitch.tv/tesr_squallydabeanz

RandV80

Oct 1, 2009
Barbas said:
Alexander Kirby said:
You can see for yourself just how Sheogorad looks right now, if you want; he's doing a landscaping livestream:
I was watching a bit of that. I only ever played Skyrim a little bit, but with this mod does Skyrim allow the sort of options that enable you to turn off the compass they've put at the top of the screen?

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
RandV80 said:
Barbas said:
Alexander Kirby said:
I was watching a bit of that. I only ever played Skyrim a little bit, but with this mod does Skyrim allow the sort of options that enable you to turn off the compass they've put at the top of the screen?
I imagine this mod will be compatible with as many other mods as possible on release. I don't yet know whether it'll simply open up Vvardenfell for you to travel to from Skyrim, or it'll have to be started up separately from the main menu/launcher as a separate game. I imagine it'll be followed by a few patches to make it as compatible as possible in either case, like the largest mods usually have.

I run a few large mods that often conflict, so I have BOSS/LOOTto organize my mod order, letting the game run without crashes. You can probably easily find a HUD mod to remove the compass and other stuff. I use SkyUI myself, which is one of the best inventory mods. A lot of the most popular mods come with their own in-game customization menu for easily switching options.

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
I'm sorry to say, that video was pretty uninspiring. Graphical overhaul mods for Morrowind look better than that.

@vonSanneck
Thanks for posting that video. He's right about how the mechanics of the game help the narrative. All that grinding and training is part of your hero's adventure, and a newer game would just make it into nothing deeper than a training montage.

Razorback0z

Feb 10, 2009
Signa said:
I'm sorry to say, that video was pretty uninspiring. Graphical overhaul mods for Morrowind look better than that.

@vonSanneck
Thanks for posting that video. He's right about how the mechanics of the game help the narrative. All that grinding and training is part of your hero's adventure, and a newer game would just make it into nothing deeper than a training montage.
Yeah I felt the same.

Id rather have seen Bethesda do something like this rather than blow all that money on ESO, which was in all honesty, utter garbage. I sincerely hope they have learned the lesson and we can now get the Skyrim 2 we deserved.

Kudos to the people working on this, but as Thomas Wolfe said, "you can never go home".

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
For me, it was never the graphics that got me hooked in Morrowind. It was the story. And the chance to play through it again, in a considerably more stable game engine, has me tickled in all the right places.