The Glorious Bastards (of Television)

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
The Glorious Bastards (of Television)

Geniuses with few social graces who nevertheless manage to save the day are all the rage on television - here's our ten favorites.

Read Full Article

V4Viewtiful

Feb 12, 2014
Always was a big fan of Columbo, sometimes it seemed he never really liked his job at times, particularly when the killer was sympathetic.

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
MovieBob said:
He even held back on letting anyone know that his trademark off-center stare was an effect of having a glass eye (which Falk does in reality)
Did in reality (RIP Peter)

Oh and it was mentioned in a couple of episodes.... not that I know too much about the show!

(BTW Columbo wasn't a bastard, had a loving home life that he took great pains to separate from his work, and was vehemently apposed to violence)

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
I usually give House, Columbo, and the gang from M.A.S.H. some leeway about their methods, because from what I've seen of them, they get results and they are quite funny. The alpha-***** lawyers just rub me up the wrong way. I'm a little surprised at the lack of callback to the article about Black Box, even as an example of how NOT to do it.
And Ozzy Osbourne's Perry Mason video? Nice touch there!

Dec 10, 2012
God, I love House. The character and the show. I agree that the show did well at not really giving House any excuses for his behavior. He was frequently humanized by his circumstances, but was never going to be anything but a bastard.

Detective Goren was always the best part of the Law & Order spinoffs. Vincent D'Nofrio is a severely underrated actor, and Criminal Intent was just never as good without him.

K12

Dec 28, 2012
I think the term "Bastard" is an odd choice for Columbo. His thing was all about being disarmingly good-natured in a way that made him seem a bit thick.

EssThree

Oct 6, 2013
Interesting digs taken at Mulder and conspiracy theorists after Assange, Snowden and others have proven a good portion of them right.

I know some conspiracy theorists are a bit nutty, but sometimes paranoia is justified and there really ARE unsavoury types operating in the shadows.

chikusho

Jun 14, 2011
Are you sure Patty Hewes isn't the villain? I mean, she sure is portrayed as a villain in most of the seasons.

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
K12 said:
I think the term "Bastard" is an odd choice for Columbo. His thing was all about being disarmingly good-natured in a way that made him seem a bit thick.
Yeah, I wanted to point that out too.
He was not a "bastard"... He was never violent or attacked (even verbally) the suspects and witnesses (something far more prevalent in the genre since the Dirty Harry movies). He was just really good at making himself look as incompetent, so that witnesses would loosen their guard when talking to him.

PhiMed

Nov 26, 2008
How is taking off same tone makeup a statement on race?

I'm not saying that black women are without incredible obstacles to overcome. Obviously they are. But, "showing her taking off her wig and... makeup shows how she's not just a woman in a man's world, she's a black woman in a white man's world". How? I've dated white women who got VERY made up for work. Their nightly ritual wasn't much different.

I didn't get your point. Then I watched the scene in the link. I still don't get it.

I think you're reading something into that scene that you want to be there, but isn't. Maybe you need to meet more women who work in appearance-conscious jobs (lawyer, physician, sales, marketing, etc.). Or, you know, you should talk TO more black people, instead of talking ABOUT them.

Also, (and I wouldn't even mention this if you hadn't put an umlaut on naive) the possessive of a singular noun is created by the addition of "'s" at the end. Therefore, the possessive of "Davis" is "Davis's", not "Davis'".

gridsleep

Sep 27, 2008
Excellent list full of characters I have always liked. I have seen, I think, one episode of Homeland and none of Damages, but I think I may go back for another try.