Bully HD Makeover Makes Bullworth Deserving of a Revisit

roseofbattle

News Room Contributor
Apr 18, 2011
Bully HD Makeover Makes Bullworth Deserving of a Revisit

<youtube=C1uEzZY2t2Y>​
Wesley Arthur demonstrates his prop art skills for a student project and makes Bully look gorgeous.

Sheffield Hallam University student Wesley Arthur has made Bully look so much better than it did when it released nine years ago. Using Unreal Engine 4, Arthur recreated Bullworth Academy from scratch as a way to show off his prop art skills.

The interior of Bullworth Academy is great for prop art thanks to all the little knick-knacks that make the environment really feel like a student's living area.

This HD makeover of Bully is a part of Arthur's project for his Master's degree and is documenting his process. Arthur breaks down the skills and techniques he used in an art book he's made as a part of his project for school [http://www.wesleyarthur.co.uk/blog/2015/1/16/design-bully-in-unreal-4]. He'll be adding additional pages to it over time. What's most impressive to me is Arthur's attention to detail; he painted the grime and condensation on a window by hand in Photoshop by considering how dirt settles in reality and having a detailed understanding of altering the shape, scattering, and transfer properties of standard brushes in Photoshop.

Arthur's looking for feedback in the Unreal Engine forums [https://forums.unrealengine.com/showthread.php?56396-Rockstar-Games-BULLY-environment-recreation], so if you know a thing or two about prop art, make sure to look in this!

[gallery=3723]

Source: Kotaku [http://www.wesleyarthur.co.uk/blog/2015/1/16/design-bully-in-unreal-4]

Hawk eye1466

May 31, 2010
At first I thought that rockstar was making a remastered edition but now I'm just a little bit sad.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
Come on, Carly. Pick a better title, you just got me excited for nothing. Yeah it looks pretty, but I kinda came here expecting Rockstar to be re-releasing the game or something.

nameless023

Fancy Forum Title Goes Here
Nov 11, 2011
Like everyone else, I jumped at the mere thought of Bully getting an HD rerelease only to have my hopes crushed after actually reading what the article was about. I would seriously love it if Rockstar decided to do anything with the series (re-release, sequel, anything really).

*sigh* Now I'm sad. I should play this game again one of these days.

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
Elfgore said:
Come on, Carly. Pick a better title, you just got me excited for nothing. Yeah it looks pretty, but I kinda came here expecting Rockstar to be re-releasing the game or something.
This is what I wanted to say. As impressive as the HD Bullworth academy looks, I'm super disappointed that it's not an official re-release or fan made mod.

Oh well, maybe someone will pick up the assets and make a mod out of it when he's finished his degree. Make it happen PC mod community.

Grabehn

Sep 22, 2012
- Bully HD - YEEEEEEEY!
- Not the actual HD remake - BOOOOOOO!

Guess I'll just get in line to be honest, the title made me actually think of a re-release and then nope, just someone's art project.

nameless023

Fancy Forum Title Goes Here
Nov 11, 2011
MC1980 said:
Technically Scholarship Edition was the HD rerelease, since the game was a PS2 title first. Though, this is just me being annoyed how everyone is misusing the term "HD rerelease", last-gen was already HD, not 1080p mind, and in a lot of cases games bullshited their 720p resolution too, but HD nonetheless. I would be really happy with a newer more stable of version of Bully though, that's for sure. (I ain't even hoping for a sequel, that's how little I think it will happen.)
Wait... Scholarship Edition was supposed to be a "HD rerelease"? I thought the name just meant it was a port over to newer consoles/PC, didn't know it had lets-call-them-upscaled graphics too. I took a look at the screenshots on the Steam page and somehow it looks worse than it did on the PS2.

I guess what I meant by "HD rerelease" was something close to that video on the article. That looks impressive.

(I wonder if there's any mods for the game... Hopefully something that improves the graphics on it)

(and I get your point about the "HD Rerelease" term but it's not like we have any other that fits better (yet))

Quellist

Migratory coconut
Oct 7, 2010
Countdown to cease and desist order begins....

Seriously, I hope Rockstar doesn't get dickish over this...

NiPah

May 8, 2009
Quellist said:

There's not much to cease and desist, it was a one off school project making pretty pictures off of an old game for a school project.

IceStar100

Jan 5, 2009
Is it bad I still want a sequel but more in a GTA vain not a direct sequal but one in the same world and spirit does not even have to be bullworth. Heck make it an after a now Jimmy the Principal

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
IceStar100 said:
Is it bad I still want a sequel but more in a GTA vain not a direct sequal but one in the same world and spirit does not even have to be bullworth. Heck make it an after a now Jimmy the Principal
I think Bully does take place in the same world as GTA.

And yes, there needs to be a sequel with Jimmy in it. Not sure if principal would work. Maybe as the new gym teacher or something?

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
Quellist said:

It's a school project, and one not released to the public it seems. It's protected under fair use as it's for educational purposes.