Fantastic Four Trailer Reveals Radical Re-Imagining

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Fantastic Four Trailer Reveals Radical Re-Imagining

Fox finally stops hiding Josh Trank's super-secret, allegedly troubled Marvel reboot

It hasn't been an easy road for Marvel Cinematic Universe. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/escape-to-the-movies/5333-Chronicle]

Now, Fox has finally released the first trailer, [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-BVs-KCSiA] offering fans their first official glimpse of the film's much-hyped "gritty" and "realistic" take on the First Family of Marvel Comics. The whole cast is present, but the trailer is primarily a mood-piece, offering lots of science-lab technology (the new origin jettisons the outer-space part of the storyline completely) but only brief glimpses as the Four themselves using any of their powers. Also unrevealed: Doctor Doom, though the character is supposedly present.

The final film (which reportedly draws inspiration primarily from the controversial "Ultimate" version of the team rather than the original Marvel Universe incarnation) is currently undergoing re-shoots but is still due for release on August 7th of this year. At this time, no tie-ins have been announced by Marvel Comics, which plans to gruesomely mocked [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/137873-Marvel-Cancels-Fantastic-Four-In-Possible-Dispute-With-Fox] in the pages of Marvel Comics themselves.)

Source: Fox [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-BVs-KCSiA]

[http://www.escapistmagazine.com/movies-and-tv/]

Deathfish15

Nov 7, 2006
EWWWWWWWWWW!

Disgusting, absolutely disgusting!. They turned a comic book classic into a teenage angst movie. Ewww!

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
Well. That was certainly a... a trailer. There certainly was pictures and sound and people doing stuff.

Yessireebob...

marscentral

Where's the Kaboom?
Dec 26, 2009
I was expecting a lot worse. I'm still not optimistic about it, but I hope they prove us all wrong and it's all kinds of awesome. The Fantastic Four really have a lot of potential, so I'd hate to see it wasted.

VoidWanderer

Sep 17, 2011
Slow, interesting only to people who bought it, seems like a trailer to me. Not a teaser, but a trailer.

While I could respect them using the Ultimate version of the FF, I think the Dr Doom as an evil blogger, is this director's first big M Night Shyamalan moment.

rcs619

Mar 26, 2011
Personally I think it was brilliant. If there's anything we've learned from the last few years of superhero movies, it's that dark, and brooding, gritty and gray is totally the way to go. I mean, who wants things like, a bright and varied color palette, or any levity at all in their superhero movie?

I know it's just the first trailer, but it really is such an awful trailer. Yes, I get you want to be 'realistic' and brooding, but can we at least get one single moment of levity in the trailer? To show that your movie has at least some sort of heart to it? Give us someone cracking a joke at the absurdity of the whole situation, or something. Show us some personality. I get that they're trying to establish their street-cred as some sort of 'serious' respectable superhero movie, but nothing makes me want to see a movie less than a grim, gray, brooding trailer brooding along my computer screen for two minutes straight.

Mr. Q

Apr 30, 2013
I want to find something good about this trailer, but it is so generic and moody. To me, this trailer is beating off to Nolan's Dark Knight trilogy and Man of Steel so hard, its dick should burst into flames. Say what you will about the Tim Story F4 movies, at least they had some levity and cheerful moments to them.

I can understand someone like Josh Trank taking the property into a new direction, but it seems to be failing badly because, (a) like Gareth Edwards, the studio went with a one-hit wonder director that might not be the right fit for a movie like this and (b) its gone so far off from the source material that not even GPS can get it back on track. And I'm not talking about making the Human Torch black. I'm talking about going in a direction that this movie, without its ties to Fantastic Four, would have been Chronicle 2: Now With a Bigger Budget.

Also, did anyone notice at the end of the teaser that the Thing had no pants on. So does this mean we're gonna see his rocky buffalo shot?

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
It looks like the bare minimum. Not a complete joke, but just agonizingly safe.

Not that I was ever a fan of The Fantastic Four anyway.

Also, I love how the thumbnail/final shot is yet another energy beam shooting up toward the sky. We still haven't had enough of that shit, huh?

Teoes

Poof, poof, sparkles!
Jun 1, 2010
"From the studio that brought you the last X-Men film.. because we've got absolutely nothing else up our sleeves to help us promote this thing."

This does not look Fant4stic.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Do they really have to do with the epic but emo look like Man of Steel. Sure I wasn't expecting another comedy like the first film but still.
Also judging from the description, is the Negative Zone will be in it?

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
Imagine a new Ally McBeal series. Imagine that they make it a dark and serious drama. Then imagine how curious you'd be about why they used these ideas on an Ally McBeal series.

That's how this trailer makes me feel.

Winnosh

Sep 23, 2010
Ok yeah yeah, dark gritty reboot of a comedic fantasy series... but why isn't anyone talking about them changing the logo. Fantastic four has been a 4 in the middle of a circle since time began Why god why is it a square now :(

Sanunes

Mar 18, 2011
I remember an article about Batman Forever and Batman & Robin where Joel Schumacher before each take would make some comment about how it was a comic or cartoon (I could be remembering this wrong). Now with this movie I get a similar feeling except the director would yell "this is a comic, brood".

Diablo1099_v1legacy

Doom needs Yoghurt, Badly
Dec 12, 2009
...You know what this film REALLY needs? The Matthew Simmons Dr. Doom.

Because if you are going for the angry blogger troll route, this guy has that nailed. :p

Edit: Hell, he even brings his own costume, less money blown on horrible CGI

Godzillarich(aka tf2godz)

Get the point
Legacy
Aug 1, 2011
Cretaceous
Country
USA
Diablo1099 said:

Because if you are going for the angry blogger troll route, this guy has that nailed. :p

That was amazing. thank you showing use this

Mr. Q

Apr 30, 2013
Diablo1099 said:

XD Yes to all of that. If only to hear "FINGER LASEEERS!" bellowed onto the big screen.