Meet The All-Female Ghostbusters Team

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Meet The All-Female Ghostbusters Team

Paul Feig knows who to call for the all-female Ghostbusters cast.

Last October, Bridesmaids director Paul Feig confirmed he was attached to a very ambitious project: <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/137925-Paul-Feigs-All-Female-Ghostbusters-Reboot-Gets-Heat-Writer>A Ghostbusters reboot starring an all-female cast. Outside of the obvious excitement for a new Ghostbusters movie, the real question was which actresses would ultimately don proton packs and fight the supernatural. While negotiations are still underway, four strong candidates have emerged: Kristen Wiig, Melissa McCarthy, Leslie Jones, and Kate McKinnon.

Wiig and McCarthy have both worked together before, most notably for their breakout roles in Bridesmaids. Jones and McKinnon, meanwhile, are current players on Saturday Night Live. The four are expected to sign on for filming this summer in New York City. While The Hollywood Reporter states that negotiations are still underway, <a href=https://twitter.com/paulfeig/status/560178147954421760>Feig himself tweeted an image of the cast suggesting that the decision is much farther along.

The original Ghostbusters series followed a team of misfit scientists turned ghost exterminators who investigate and purge supernatural activity throughout New York. Attempts to produce a third movie were ongoing for years, until <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/132450-Ghostbusters-Writer-Actor-Harold-Ramis-Dead>Harold Ramis tragic demise seemingly put a stop to it. At the moment, this new film's plot is expected to have no connection to the previous two movies.

Source: <a href=http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/new-all-female-ghostbusters-cast-767610>Hollywood Reporter

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
Oh look, there's the obligatory black guy girl. Seeing as we're all playing the SJW card on this issue, couldn't they at least made it more diverse?

The SJW within me can tolerate that there might have been some sentiment of positive discrimination in a 1980s film. Why should they follow this when they seem to be on a course to fuck-up every Ghostbusters was?

coolbond

Mar 1, 2011
so the team consist of the old, the black, the model and the fat girl plus that logo is so tacky

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
Man, you guys are killing my bingo card. I predicted somebody was going to complain about "age", "race", "gender", and "body size", but I thought for sure it would be at LEAST a few more posts.

sneakypenguin

Elite Member
Legacy
Jul 31, 2008
Country
usa
Ugh, cant' say i've ever been happy with their work but w/e guess I'm not the target audience.

An Ceannaire

Mar 5, 2012
As much as the mere idea of this movie was already an unappetizing prospect for me, if the humour is going to be anything like the "female humour" from Bridesmaids, I think I might actively hate it before it's even released.

Piorn

Dec 26, 2007
Why does the logo have the pink venus sign? The original didn't have a blue mars sign.
Unless they openly want to tell everyone that the default humans have been replaced with female humans in a desperate attempt to revive a dead franchise.
At least they didn't put an X in the title.

An Ceannaire

Mar 5, 2012
Piorn said:
Unless they openly want to tell everyone that the default humans have been replaced with female humans in a desperate attempt to revive a dead franchise.
A movie studio would never do that. They are benevolent organisations with steadfast principles and would never dream of messing with a beloved franchise for monetary gain.

*spasming wink*

Omey

Apr 8, 2011
I like this casting because they have gone beyond having just a few pretty faces play the lead cast and have it be "Mean Girls with Ghosts". They have cast talented actresses and not gone with a sucker punch style "boobs and guns" choice of cast. Think about it guys. It could have been a lot worse. I say well done!

To the people complaining about having a black character retcon - its 2015! Get off the horse carriage in your cotton plantation!

Ihateregistering1

Mar 30, 2011
Trishbot said:
Man, you guys are killing my bingo card. I predicted somebody was going to complain about "age", "race", "gender", and "body size", but I thought for sure it would be at LEAST a few more posts.
You win "The Escapist" for the week.

I'm also looking forward to someone getting angry when they discover that all 4 of them are heterosexual.

Spaceman Spiff

Sep 23, 2013
I fully expected McCarthy and Wiig to be cast. Can't say I've heard of the other two though. I wish them luck.

Piorn said:
Why does the logo have the pink venus sign? The original didn't have a blue mars sign.
Is that an official image from the studio? Or just something the Escapist or somebody shopped together?

The Madman

Dec 7, 2007
Could be good, probably wont be. I won't be holding my breath for anything spectacular even if this actually ends up taking off and becoming a real movie.

norashepard

Mar 4, 2013
lmao i guess I'll be the positive one! I'm excited for this! All of those ladies are way talented, and I can see them doing very well in the Ghostbusters universe. Kate McKinnon and Leslie Jones are honestly the only people keeping SNL alive for me, Melissa McCarthy is always fantastic and has a good range outside of comedy too! Whig has never really been my cup of tea, but she must be doing something right to be as well known as she is.

Idk yes i suppose it seems gimmicky that they're all women now (especially in fucking Hollywood where anyone who isn't a white man has to justify their existence), but you know what? I'll put up with some gimmick if it means I can get a damn movie centered on women that isn't a cheap romance. Better still that this movie is going to be aiming to be like one of the classics. Even if it falls short, at least I'll know someone put effort in.

MerlinCross

Apr 22, 2011
Neeckin said:
But Why? There is no demand for this.
Actually I think there's been demand for another ghostbuster's movie, but given Harold Ramis' death that shot down any plans for Ghostbusters with the original cast.

I don't think there's been a demand for "All Female Ghostbusters" though. But it's gonna fail. "Because it's an all female cast isn't it!" No because no Ghostbusters project as worked out since Ghostbusters 2(And even THEN it's debatable if Ghostbusters 2 succeeded.)

Omey said:
To the people complaining about having a black character retcon - its 2015! Get off the horse carriage in your cotton plantation!
Really? Haven't seen people complaining about black character retcon. Though who's she playing(I didn't see who's playing who just the cast picture). I mean for all we know she could be playing Ernie Hudson's character or assigned slot(the funny rookie character).

norashepard

Mar 4, 2013
Ihateregistering1 said:
I'm also looking forward to someone getting angry when they discover that all 4 of them are heterosexual.
Kate McKinnon is actually not! She's a Lesbian. Her first big part was on "The Big Gay Sketch Show" too, just in case there was any doubt.

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
So Wiig as the protagonist, Jones as the tough black woman, McKinnon as the ditzy pretty one and McCarthy as the funny one? Inspired, truly.

To be clear here, I'm not bitching about diversity but I'll eat my own face if they don't all fall into those particular archetypes.

Neeckin

Feb 5, 2013
MerlinCross said:
Neeckin said:
But Why? There is no demand for this.
Actually I think there's been demand for another ghostbuster's movie, but given Harold Ramis' death that shot down any plans for Ghostbusters with the original cast.

I don't think there's been a demand for "All Female Ghostbusters" though. But it's gonna fail. "Because it's an all female cast isn't it!" No because no Ghostbusters project as worked out since Ghostbusters 2(And even THEN it's debatable if Ghostbusters 2 succeeded.)
The fact that it will have no impute from anyone involved with the original tells me this will just be brides maids but with ghosts. Which they could have done without dragging the actual ghost of the Ghostbusters franchise into this.
I bet there will be fat and fart jokes

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
Why do they have to do a fucking reboot, just make the characters part of a side-franchise, not try to screw with identities. Why do they always have to change identities of existing characters?

Hollywood can't write for crap, especially when it comes to reboots. The humor won't be there, mixed in with the occassionally dark scare, and we'll have to deal with "those people" who will call everyone a bigot when it sucks.