Five Cards for Fate Reforged Standard

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
Five Cards for Fate Reforged Standard

Five cards that I was impressed with at the first major Fate Reforged tournament.

Read Full Article

JaceArveduin

Mar 14, 2011
Yeah, that Saber Kitty is rather awesome, and has doomed me a few games. And there's no way in hell Valorous Stance wasn't going to be in every white deck. It's either removal or anti-removal at instant speed. Kind of like how awesome Brave the Sands is.

But, for me? I think the real sleeper here is Collateral Damage. So many useful applications for it!

aceman67

Jan 14, 2010
For me, the fate cards that really energized my deck were Mardu Scout (2 drop for 3 damage with Dash? Yes please.) and Collateral Damage (Rabblemaster? check. Tokens? Check. 1 drop for 3 damage and all I got to do is sack a token, where do I sign up?). Yeah, yeah, I run a crazy fast aggro RDW deck [http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/rabble-rabble-win-reforged/], but in my meta it works and it does fairly well (Back in october, it went 5-0 for a game-day).

Also, having Bathe in Dragonflame in my sideboard does help when I'm trying to take down a Siege Rhino (large creatures being one of the things my deck falls short against, the other being fast/pure control decks).

silver wolf009

[[NULL]]
Jan 23, 2010
I would've thought Woe-Reaper would be up there, 2/1 for 1, anti-delve ability that's really just icing, kills morphs and manifests, and gets all them lovely buffs from that warrior tribal what's all the rage these days.

Plus that art. The Tarkir equivalent of a paladin, ladies and gents.

JaceArveduin

Mar 14, 2011
aceman67 said:
Collateral Damage (Rabblemaster? check. Tokens? Check. 1 drop for 3 damage and all I got to do is sack a token, where do I sign up?).
I actually went a different way of thinking, since I'm currently making a Scourge of Skola Vale/Collateral/allyourbasearebelongtous deck. Do you realize how many "take control of target creature" cards there are in standard right now?

aceman67

Jan 14, 2010
JaceArveduin said:
aceman67 said:
Collateral Damage (Rabblemaster? check. Tokens? Check. 1 drop for 3 damage and all I got to do is sack a token, where do I sign up?).
I actually went a different way of thinking, since I'm currently making a Scourge of Skola Vale/Collateral/allyourbasearebelongtous deck. Do you realize how many "take control of target creature" cards there are in standard right now?
At latest count, there are 5 [http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Search/Default.aspx?name=+%5B%22Gain%20control%20of%20target%20creature%22%5D%7C%7Ctype=+%5B%22Gain%20control%20of%20target%20creature%22%5D%7C%7Csubtype=+%5B%22Gain%20control%20of%20target%20creature%22%5D%7C%7Ctext=+%5B%22Gain%20control%20of%20target%20creature%22%5D&format=%5B%22Standard%22%5D]: Act of Treason (3), Might Makes Right (6), Portent of Betrayal (4), Siren of the Fanged Coast (5), Yasova Dragonclaw (3)

So, at the earliest you're going to be taking control of my creatures by turn 3, but at that Point, I've done 7 damage, and next turn I'm killing you with 16 damage in one shot.

My deck right now goes pretty much as follows if I get good draws with perfect opening hand:

Turn 1: Mountain, Monastery SwiftSpear, attack for 1
Turn 2: Mountain, Dash Mardu Scout, attack for 4 (5dmg total)
Turn 3: Mountain, Goblin Rabblemaster, attack for 2 (7 Damage total)
Turn 4: Mountain, Dash Mardu Scout, Attack for 13, Second Main, Collateral Damage sacking one token, 3 more damage (Alternatively, Lightning strike for 3), Win game with 23 damage.

JaceArveduin

Mar 14, 2011
aceman67 said:
At latest count, there are 5 [http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Search/Default.aspx?name=+%5B%22Gain%20control%20of%20target%20creature%22%5D%7C%7Ctype=+%5B%22Gain%20control%20of%20target%20creature%22%5D%7C%7Csubtype=+%5B%22Gain%20control%20of%20target%20creature%22%5D%7C%7Ctext=+%5B%22Gain%20control%20of%20target%20creature%22%5D&format=%5B%22Standard%22%5D]: Act of Treason (3), Might Makes Right (6), Portent of Betrayal (4), Siren of the Fanged Coast (5), Yasova Dragonclaw (3)

So, at the earliest you're going to be taking control of my creatures by turn 3, but at that Point, I've done 7 damage, and next turn I'm killing you with 16 damage in one shot.

My deck right now goes pretty much as follows if I get good draws with perfect opening hand:

Turn 1: Mountain, Monastery SwiftSpear, attack for 1
Turn 2: Mountain, Dash Mardu Scout, attack for 4 (5dmg total)
Turn 3: Mountain, Goblin Rabblemaster, attack for 2 (7 Damage total)
Turn 4: Mountain, Dash Mardu Scout, Attack for 13, Second Main, Collateral Damage sacking one token, 3 more damage (Alternatively, Lightning strike for 3), Win game with 23 damage.
You forgot Jeering Instigator, Harness by Force, and Mob Rule.

As for your Turn 4 kill, that's best case scenario. I mean, by turn 4 my Mono-green deck can have 8 Forests, and it's not even a ramp deck. I haven't decided what all I'm putting in this one, but I'm sure I'll have more burn and defense in it.

aceman67

Jan 14, 2010
JaceArveduin said:
As for your Turn 4 kill, that's best case scenario.
It happens more often then not, I'm just glad that Creature Control with the cards you've listed aren't big in my meta (Its mostly Jeskai and Abzan Acendancy, with others doing slower token decks like Mardu Acendancy)

JaceArveduin

Mar 14, 2011
aceman67 said:
JaceArveduin said:
As for your Turn 4 kill, that's best case scenario.
It happens more often then not, I'm just glad that Creature Control with the cards you've listed aren't big in my meta (Its mostly Jeskai and Abzan Acendancy, with others doing slower token decks like Mardu Acendancy)
It's not too huge from what I've noticed here, either, since this seems to be another place that has a hard-on for control. There's a bit of aggro like yours around.

Admittedly, I haven't any standard since Fates came out, too busy. Though there have been a few cards that I'll be adding to my Green deck, such as SaberKitty, and possibly Frontier Mastodon.

You also have to be careful with all of the 1/1's vs other reds, there's actually a couple of "Deal 1 damage to each creature" cards out there. And Arcbond, can't forget Arcbond.