Modern Deck Primer - Best Decks Post Bannings & Pro Tour

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
Modern Deck Primer - Best Decks Post Bannings & Pro Tour

With the recent banning and unbanning in Modern, what might the format look like at Pro Tour Washington DC this weekend.

Read Full Article

ForumSafari

Sep 25, 2012
Pretty good rundown on the more common decks post-pod, though I doubt Dredge is going to make a comeback even with the Grave-Troll unban, it's missing too many pieces of what makes it a legit Legacy deck.

Pity you didn't mention Faeries, that's my favourite deck due to the disruption it runs in main, the fact that it's able to dynamically switch gears like Pod could and the fact that post-board it matches up reasonably against most opponents. It's tier 2 but I see it making a comeback at some point. I have a fair bit of luck against other control decks since their threats are so sparse and I can essentially win the game with any of my creatures.

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
ForumSafari said:
Pretty good rundown on the more common decks post-pod, though I doubt Dredge is going to make a comeback even with the Grave-Troll unban, it's missing too many pieces of what makes it a legit Legacy deck.
True, but I don't think it needs something like [mtg_card=Dread Return] in order to be at Modern power level.

Pity you didn't mention Faeries, that's my favourite deck due to the disruption it runs in main, the fact that it's able to dynamically switch gears like Pod could and the fact that post-board it matches up reasonably against most opponents. It's tier 2 but I see it making a comeback at some point. I have a fair bit of luck against other control decks since their threats are so sparse and I can essentially win the game with any of my creatures.
Yeah, Faeries is another deck that has some potential. It's probably arguable that it's a better deck than some of the featured ones, but those managed to sneak some tournament wins in post bans. I haven't played enough or against Faeries to know what's holding it back, but I did play a similar feeling list with [mtg_card=Spellstutter Sprite] and friends. It always felt like a good get ahead stay ahead deck, but if you started to fall behind top decking stuff like [mtg_card=Spellstutter Sprite] is pretty bad.

ForumSafari

Sep 25, 2012
Slycne said:
True, but I don't think it needs something like [mtg_card=Dread Return] in order to be at Modern power level.
I don't know, I really feel that without the ability to easily floop stuff back out of your graveyard it's missing a lot, particularly with the [mtg_card=Bridge From Below] interplay you can get. Still, it'll be interesting to see a few more people look at this with the unban.

Yeah, Faeries is another deck that has some potential. It's probably arguable that it's a better deck than some of the featured ones, but those managed to sneak some tournament wins in post bans. I haven't played enough or against Faeries to know what's holding it back, but I did play a similar feeling list with [mtg_card=Spellstutter Sprite] and friends. It always felt like a good get ahead stay ahead deck, but if you started to fall behind top decking stuff like [mtg_card=Spellstutter Sprite] is pretty bad.
I've never minded the Sprite topdeck, the fact that I can bounce, champion and hit people with my counterspells makes me more inclined to play counter wars and topdecking a blocker/counterspell is honestly not a bad feeling. My least favourite topdeck is actually [mtg_card=Spell Snare] for it's specificity, I'd rather hit whichever [mtg_card=Mana Leak] I'm playing with (trying out [mtg_card=Rune Snag] at the moment) than that. Heck half the time I'll even take land over that!

I think what's holding it back is the lack of hand refresh, it's a great deck but unlike other controlly decks it can get stalled out reasonably easily. [mtg_card=Dig Through Time]/[mtg_card=Treasure Cruise] would have been an interesting drop in but...well yeah. It also dislikes board wipes and with the lack of creatures and the heavy life-as-a-resource thing it has going on you generally don't get a second go at rebuilding even against a pure control opponent. Nothing like dying to your own [mtg_card=Bitterblossom].

JaceArveduin

Mar 14, 2011
ZippyDSMlee said:
I never understood why not just give the cards new rules/stats for official tornys?
Because it's physical cards, and having tons of "changes" that aren't printed on the card will just cause everyone headaches.

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
JaceArveduin said:
ZippyDSMlee said:
I never understood why not just give the cards new rules/stats for official tornys?
Because it's physical cards, and having tons of "changes" that aren't printed on the card will just cause everyone headaches.
How many would be needed? A notebook or card or computer to look them up would not be THAT difficult, and are not offical matched watched and judged by officials?

JaceArveduin

Mar 14, 2011
ZippyDSMlee said:
JaceArveduin said:
ZippyDSMlee said:
How many would be needed? A notebook or card or computer to look them up would not be THAT difficult, and are not offical matched watched and judged by officials?
It would have to affect all tournaments, including small, store-based ones. Can you imagine how much of a pain in the ass it would be trying to teach new players that this card does this while everyone's just derping around, but during tournaments it does something else completely.

"I play Treasure Cruise to scry one, then draw two."

"But it says draw 3?"

"Usually it does, but that's not how it works in competitive play."

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
JaceArveduin said:
ZippyDSMlee said:
JaceArveduin said:
ZippyDSMlee said:
It would have to affect all tournaments, including small, store-based ones. Can you imagine how much of a pain in the ass it would be trying to teach new players that this card does this while everyone's just derping around, but during tournaments it does something else completely.

"I play Treasure Cruise to scry one, then draw two."

"But it says draw 3?"

"Usually it does, but that's not how it works in competitive play."
Well IMO and this might sound stupid, if only a few cards need to be rebalanced then it should be doable, assuming the card in question is unique and still useful after re balancing if its too generic for its class its not worth re balancing or using.

Setup it up so a week or two before the larger mid/high tier events the new rules are distributed in time for players to get use to the new stats on the rebalanced cards, this should happen 2-4 times a year.

That should balance out information gaps and anyone in the mid to higher tiers should be able to quickly adjust to the new info.

The best setup would be to RFID all cards then have a base reader plate on the table like a large mat for each player, but their again the amount of cards that need to be rebalanced should remain low and should offer something unique without being unreasonable, least until you can have a paper thing digital LCD card where the info on the card itself can be easily updated.