Evolve Review - Intelligent Design

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
Evolve Review - Intelligent Design

Evolve encapsulates great co-op in a well-designed 4v1 shootout.

Read Full Article

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
this game looks interesting

although I kinda wished it was more...Borderlands than Left 4 dead, so that if I'm not playing with friends I don't feel the pressure to not suck

Sanunes

Mar 18, 2011
My biggest concern with the game is still what was mentioned in the article being stuck with a bad group hurting the fun I am having with the game. Its frustrating in other multiplayer games I have played in the past when you have the one person that thinks they know better then everyone else dies a lot and then starts to curse out the group because "we are noobs" and it sounds like you rely upon one another much more then what I have experienced in the past.

The other concern I have is the longevity of the game, for I know the game has more options for a solo player then Titanfall, but I keep thinking it might wind up like with the near empty lobbies that it has on the PC version right now.

With those concerns I am still interested, but I will be waiting to see more on it before I make my final decision.

Mental Cosmas

Jul 23, 2012
Vault101 said:
this game looks interesting

although I kinda wished it was more...Borderlands than Left 4 dead, so that if I'm not playing with friends I don't feel the pressure to not suck
You mean more like Borderlands in the sense that each character is self-sufficient and teamwork isn't strictly necessary? Could be interesting, although honestly if what you wanted to keep in this game was the asymmetrical teams, balancing would be... painful, with each character simultaneously having to be a threat and yet weaker then the single opponent. It can work though, look at The Hidden (although I sure as hell wouldn't want to take on a skilled 617 alone...)

Sanunes said:
My biggest concern with the game is still what was mentioned in the article being stuck with a bad group hurting the fun I am having with the game. Its frustrating in other multiplayer games I have played in the past when you have the one person that thinks they know better then everyone else dies a lot and then starts to curse out the group because "we are noobs" and it sounds like you rely upon one another much more then what I have experienced in the past.

The other concern I have is the longevity of the game, for I know the game has more options for a solo player then Titanfall, but I keep thinking it might wind up like with the near empty lobbies that it has on the PC version right now.

With those concerns I am still interested, but I will be waiting to see more on it before I make my final decision.
While exceptionally hypocritical of me to say since I rarely do it myself, as far as getting a "bad group" hurting, it might be worth trying to form a clan in to try and minimize having such games. Not that I have any idea at the moment how easy it is to make one in this game. :/

Not much I can say about longevity, maybe it'll ignite a fanbase, maybe not. The DLC certainly makes me hesitant, even with them saying they'll make sure you can still play with everyone so as not to "split the fanbase", not enough trust there. Fingers crossed!

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Mental Cosmas said:
You mean more like Borderlands in the sense that each character is self-sufficient and teamwork isn't strictly necessary?
yeah...given how ones experience can depend on other players

that and Borderlands 2 having one campaign that one can complete and move on...rather than a series of mini scenarios

mjharper

Can
Apr 28, 2013
Typo: "finish off. FInally, Defend has players" should be "finish off. Finally, Defend has players"

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Vault101 said:
Mental Cosmas said:
You mean more like Borderlands in the sense that each character is self-sufficient and teamwork isn't strictly necessary?
yeah...given how ones experience can depend on other players

that and Borderlands 2 having one campaign that one can complete and move on...rather than a series of mini scenarios
Then by all accounts it sounds like what youre looking for is Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate.

Im told theres an actual story this time, teamwork is an option, and its loaded with more content than any main MH release to date.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
gigastar said:
Then by all accounts it sounds like what youre looking for is Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate.

Im told theres an actual story this time, teamwork is an option, and its loaded with more content than any main MH release to date.
huh thanks for the suggestion though I'm prretty good for games right now

DayDark

Oct 31, 2007
I usually love the concept of asymmetric shooters, but the alien vs predator series is the only one I've had a proper time with. I will be looking forward to some professional matches in this.

Thanks for the Disclosure btw!

Diablo1099_v1legacy

Doom needs Yoghurt, Badly
Dec 12, 2009
ffronw said:
There's also the Behemoth, the monster that's included as a pre-order bonus. He's not only huge, he can summon rock walls to isolate hunters or shield himself.
Quick question for the reviewer, assuming that you've played all the Monsters, would you say the Pre-Order Behemoth monster is any more or any less powerful then the in-game ones? And do you know if it's planned to be released for non-pre-order players at a later date?

Seeing how heavily they are going down the DLC route, I'd like to know if they can keep it balanced for those who don't splash out on DLC.

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
Diablo1099 said:
ffronw said:
There's also the Behemoth, the monster that's included as a pre-order bonus. He's not only huge, he can summon rock walls to isolate hunters or shield himself.
Quick question for the reviewer, assuming that you've played all the Monsters, would you say the Pre-Order Behemoth monster is any more or any less powerful then the in-game ones? And do you know if it's planned to be released for non-pre-order players at a later date?

Seeing how heavily they are going down the DLC route, I'd like to know if they can keep it balanced for those who don't splash out on DLC.
Personally, I thought the Wraith was the most overpowered of the monsters. The behemoth is OK, but the teleport / decoy ability of the Wraith is just nasty.

So far, my experience has been that the additional hunters and monsters add variety and different ways to play more than anything. It's not a matter of "This monster / hunter is OP" as much as it is that one might fit your playstyle (or the needs of the map) better.

The best example of that I can think of off the top of my head is the Medic. For static fights, Val is an amzing choice, and her tranq gun + medgun combo is nice to keep the monster slowed and the team healed up. But in Hunt / Nest situation, Caira is great not only because she can heal clumps of allies with her healing grenades, but also because she can use her adrenaline rush ability to make her and everyone around her run faster while pursuing the monster.

Diablo1099_v1legacy

Dec 12, 2009
ffronw said:
Personally, I thought the Wraith was the most overpowered of the monsters. The behemoth is OK, but the teleport / decoy ability of the Wraith is just nasty.

So far, my experience has been that the additional hunters and monsters add variety and different ways to play more than anything. It's not a matter of "This monster / hunter is OP" as much as it is that one might fit your playstyle (or the needs of the map) better.

The best example of that I can think of off the top of my head is the Medic. For static fights, Val is an amzing choice, and her tranq gun + medgun combo is nice to keep the monster slowed and the team healed up. But in Hunt / Nest situation, Caira is great not only because she can heal clumps of allies with her healing grenades, but also because she can use her adrenaline rush ability to make her and everyone around her run faster while pursuing the monster.
Alright then, just with how much this game has been making the headlines for it's DLC, I've been really hoping they avoid the route of "Pay To Win".

Thank you very much for your time sir :)

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
The problem that I am having its that it seems like one of those where its good, as in the first five minutes are great, but then its the same thing over and over. Titanfall was the same thing, very few content even if that content was good.

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
Diablo1099 said:
Alright then, just with how much this game has been making the headlines for it's DLC, I've been really hoping they avoid the route of "Pay To Win".

I can certainly understand the disdain for the DLC plan, especially in light of some of the DLC we've seen in recent years, but I'm torn.

The question I keep asking myself is this: Would I rather the dev release the game, walk away, and call it good? Maybe start working on a sequel? Or would I rather they support the community with more content, albeit content we have to pay for?

I usually find myself leaning toward more content. I do wish gamers as a whole would be more discerning about the content they buy, especially for things like season passes, where we're paying for content we essentially haven't seen yet. The prevalence of these things, and the way people snap them up, mean that there's almost guaranteed to be someone abusing them somewhere.

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
josemlopes said:
The problem that I am having its that it seems like one of those where its good, as in the first five minutes are great, but then its the same thing over and over. Titanfall was the same thing, very few content even if that content was good.
This was my initial concern as well, but the map variety and win/loss effects are good at varying the experience. Also, depending on which monster you're fighting against, the experience can be very different.

Diablo1099_v1legacy

Dec 12, 2009
ffronw said:
I can certainly understand the disdain for the DLC plan, especially in light of some of the DLC we've seen in recent years, but I'm torn.

The question I keep asking myself is this: Would I rather the dev release the game, walk away, and call it good? Maybe start working on a sequel? Or would I rather they support the community with more content, albeit content we have to pay for?

I usually find myself leaning toward more content. I do wish gamers as a whole would be more discerning about the content they buy, especially for things like season passes, where we're paying for content we essentially haven't seen yet. The prevalence of these things, and the way people snap them up, mean that there's almost guaranteed to be someone abusing them somewhere.
Oh, I agree entirely, I know that DLC done right can be a great thing (KI Xbone, Payday 2), but all the nickle and diming of AAA Publishers all too often take the piss and arguably damages a good game as a result like Dead Space 3 and it's Mircotransactions.
Many people figured would be the case here, seeing how the pre-order DLC came out before the actual game did.

Still, your review and score seems pretty legit so I think they got the balance right :)

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
ffronw said:
Diablo1099 said:

My problem is more in feeling like I'm buying a game piecemeal rather than getting the full game that I would have before DLC was a thing.

I absolutely don't mind DLC for full games. But titles like Destiny have just ruined the notion of building a game for DLC like these studios are doing.

Do you feel like this was a full game or would you even really know since you've only had a limited time to review it? I'm betting few people knew that Destiny was as short as it was by the time they put a review up. Or, since this is basically a multi-player title only I guess this would be easier to ascertain the "fullness" of. Do you feel like there is enough meat on the bones to warrant buying it in vanilla form or is this a game to wait for one winter's eve where I find it on sale along with a DLC bundle?

*Sigh* I just wish I could pay for a thing and get the thing. Game + ALL DLC and it not be $200.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
If they didn't make the game a full $60 release then I would get it, if $60 included the season pass then I would get it, its just too much for what feels like slightly limited content.