Spider-Man Joining the Marvel Cinematic Universe - Update

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Spider-Man Joining the Marvel Cinematic Universe - Update

Spider-Man will join the MCU in an upcoming movie followed by a new stand-alone film scheduled to release in July 2017.

Update: <a href=http://www.wsj.com/articles/marvel-and-sony-reach-deal-on-spider-man-movie-production-1423546677>The Wall Street Journal (via <a href=http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/408399-sinister-six-still-in-development-spider-man-to-debut-in-captain-america-civil-war>ComingSoon) has reported that the Marvel Cinematic Universe's version of Spider-Man will debut in Captain America: Civil War. Sony Picture's planned Sinister Six film is also being delayed so the studio can rethink it and Andrew Garfield has been confirmed as being finished with the role.

Original Story: It's happening. It's really happening.

After rumors, speculation and about a bajillion "wish upon a star" moments from comic fans, <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/sony>Sony Pictures Entertainment and <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/marvel>Marvel Studios announced late yesterday evening that Spider-Man will be officially joining the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

According to the terms of a deal described at the official Marvel website, Spider-Man will appear in a future Marvel film tied to the ongoing continuity of the MCU. After that, Sony Pictures will collaborate with Marvel's Kevin Feige and Amy Pascal to produce a new stand-alone film starring the character. Sony will "continue to finance, distribute, own and have final creative control of the Spider-Man films."

Speaking about the new deal Disney CEO Bob Iger stated that Disney and Marvel are "thrilled" by the prospect of bringing everyone's favorite webslinger into the MCU. "Spider-Man is one of Marvel's great characters, beloved around the world," said Iger. "We're thrilled to work with Sony Pictures to bring the iconic web-slinger into the Marvel Cinematic Universe, which opens up fantastic new opportunities for storytelling and franchise building." Sony Pictures president Doug Belgrad would go on to describe the collaboration as "the perfect way to take Peter Parker's story into the future."

The new stand-alone Spider-Man will hit theaters on July 28th, 2017. Notably, no actors were named in the announcement, including the current man behind the mask Andrew Garfield. While we'll have to wait for the companies to explicitly say he's being removed from the series, his absence from Marvel's posting would definitely seem to give credence to rumors that in Captain America: Civil War, another tidbit that came out during last year's Sony hack.

Source: <a href=http://marvel.com/news/movies/24062/sony_pictures_entertainment_brings_marvel_studios_into_the_amazing_world_of_spider-man>Marvel

marioandsonic

Nov 28, 2009
Well, it sounded like this was going to happen, based on various rumors over the last few weeks.

MovieBob is going to have a field day with this one.

ShirowShirow

Oct 14, 2010
Hmmm. On one hand I'm happy, because Spider-Man is great and deserves... Y'now... GOOD movies.

On the other hand, I was kiiiind of hoping that Disney's lack of Spider-Man would force them to be a bit creative to find a stand-in. Sort of like how the Inhumans are getting a push because they can't use the X-Men.

Spider-Woman could be flubbed to have the powerset, the new Mrs. Marvel could be the "Popular and conflicted young hero" replacement for the Civil War storyline... If they wanted to throw in a younger hero for their own movie, there are plenty of choices.

But yeah. Now they'll just use Spider-Man for all those. Not a bad choice because Spider-Man is awesome, but now everything's going to be the slightest bit more predictable.

ZeroAxis

Apr 11, 2010
I personally would have preferred The X-Men over Spiderman, but the implications of bringing them over would probably collapse the MCU. ( Then again X-Men just reset their timeline so why not an extended Infinity War)

ShirowShirow

Oct 14, 2010
ZeroAxis said:
I personally would have preferred The X-Men over Spiderman, but the implications of bringing them over would probably collapse the MCU. ( Then again X-Men just reset their timeline so why not an extended Infinity War)
I always held the assumed to be controversial opinion that the X-men should remain seperate from the rest of the marvel universe in all its forms. The "Powered people as stand ins for marginalized groups" metaphor works better when there aren't a whole ton of other powered people running around...

Drago-Morph

Mar 28, 2010
ShirowShirow said:
ZeroAxis said:
I always held the assumed to be controversial opinion that the X-men should remain seperate from the rest of the marvel universe in all its forms. The "Powered people as stand ins for marginalized groups" metaphor works better when there aren't a whole ton of other powered people running around...
Actually, I think it works much better that way. If it's just the X-Men, then it's not a great metaphor, since realistically, having people who can blow up cities on a whim is legitimately a cause for concern and fear. On the other hand, if you've got a bunch of people like that running around, except some of them are hailed as heroes and others hailed as horrible freaks, then it works to highlight the inanity and arbitrary nature of racism and other types of discrimination.

rcs619

Mar 26, 2011
This is actually really good news.

Personally, I think they just need to break from the older Spider Man movies as much as possible. Just, kind of make this Spider Man his own thing. Maybe use the new guy from the comics? Miles Morales or something? He'd definitely be a big change from Maguire or Garfield's Spidermen, and being totally honest, the Avengers could use a tiny bit of extra color mixed in there. They did already use the Ultimate version of Nick Fury to change his race around and allow Sam Jackson to play him.

I'm really excited to see what interesting things they can do with the Spider Man rogues gallery as well. Lots of fun villains in there to mix in to the movies, or even Agents of SHIELD and stuff. Now if only Marvel could swoop in and rescue the Fantastic Four so we can get some Doctor Doom mixed into this whole cinematic universe.

I just hope that the Ant Man movie(s) let them introduce Wasp, or Giant Girl, or whatever form of her is most convenient to bring in. I always kind of liked her, and I know in one of the Marvel comic series, she had really great chemistry with Spider Man. Lots of witty banter and teamwork.

I am still holding out hope that my dream-team of Giant Girl, Squirrel Girl and Black Widow can come together to just be, unbearably awesome. :D

2xDouble

Mar 15, 2010
In a word: yay!

There's still a bit of trepidation here. Sony Pictures hasn't handled the Spider-Man license particularly well post-Raimi, and Spider-Man's inclusion could very well bring down the "Cinematic Universe" overall.

On the other hand, this does set a lovely precedent for other Sony-owned Marvel characters, such as the Fantastic Four, and - if it does well enough - gives 20th Century Fox incentive to let the X-Men and mutants rejoin Marvel cannon as well.

For now, let's see how this goes; I hope the weight of greater continuity will temper the Spider-Man franchise so it's more in line with the other Marvel greats so far (without necessarily copying them, of course).

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
WOOOOOO! I wonder who they're going to cast. I for one am totally fine if they choose Andrew Garfield again.

ShirowShirow

Oct 14, 2010
rcs619 said:
I just hope that the Ant Man movie(s) let them introduce Wasp, or Giant Girl, or whatever form of her is most convenient to bring in. I always kind of liked her, and I know in one of the Marvel comic series, she had really great chemistry with Spider Man. Lots of witty banter and teamwork.

I am still holding out hope that my dream-team of Giant Girl, Squirrel Girl and Black Widow can come together to just be, unbearably awesome. :D
Heh, last I heard Wasp is killed in Ant-Man's story before it actually begins.

The girl who becomes Stature is in it though, albeit at the age of like five.

Basement Cat

Keeping the Peace is Relaxing
Jul 26, 2012
This pleases me.

Should this agreement fall through, however, I shall not be pleased.

P-89 Scorpion

Sep 25, 2014
2xDouble said:
In a word: yay!

There's still a bit of trepidation here. Sony Pictures hasn't handled the Spider-Man license particularly well post-Raimi, and Spider-Man's inclusion could very well bring down the "Cinematic Universe" overall.

On the other hand, this does set a lovely precedent for other Sony-owned Marvel characters, such as the Fantastic Four, and - if it does well enough - gives 20th Century Fox incentive to let the X-Men and mutants rejoin Marvel cannon as well.

For now, let's see how this goes; I hope the weight of greater continuity will temper the Spider-Man franchise so it's more in line with the other Marvel greats so far (without necessarily copying them, of course).
Fox owns the Fantastic Four and X-men and the heads of Fox and Disney HATE each other that's why there has never been even a mention of a deal.

P-89 Scorpion

Sep 25, 2014
I like the ASM films and prefer them to a host of boring bad guy filled MCU films (IM3, Thor 2, GoTG,) and just not that good MCU films (Hulk, Thor).

But I swear if they treat Spiderman as a fucking sidekick in the MCU like Disney does in the Ultimate Spiderman cartoon (at least in the handful of episodes I could tolerate before I screamed "they replaced Spectacular Spiderman with this shit") I am through with the MCU forever.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
I wonder how much control Sony will still have over the character. For example, will the Spider Man that shows up in the Marvel Cinematic movies be played by the same guy as the one in the Sony films? Or will Disney get their own actor in the same way they did with Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch (not exactly the same thing but you know what I mean). Because I can see Disney using this opportunity to bury Sony Pictures' version of Spider-Man and presenting their "official" version of the character.

Xerosch

Apr 19, 2008
I really hope they keep Andrew Garfield. He fit the role infinitely better than Tobey Maguire.