Expanding the Game: The Semantics of Standalone

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
Expanding the Game: The Semantics of Standalone

The concept of expansion packs has changed a bit over the years, to the point now where "standalone" expansions are all the rage. Yahtzee examines the semantics.

Read Full Article

Lagslayer

Apr 18, 2011
Wow. I've never been there the moment something popped up. Noon on the dot. It's oddly satisfying.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
It's weird to have a remembrance of old expansion packs, and not to include the countless Doom mods out there. I still have a CD full of those. But I think one of my favorites was the Simpsons mod for Doom 2.

maffgibson

Deep Breath Taker
Sep 10, 2013
Yahtzee Croshaw said:
It's like surgically removing a large ovarian cyst and referring to it as a 'standalone human expansion'.
Hey, some standalone human expansions really stood the test of time: HeLa cells were taken from a cervical tumour way back in 1951, and are still going strong! Like, 20 tons of biomass and invading other samples in biological research labs strong.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HeLa

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
maffgibson said:
Yahtzee Croshaw said:
It's like surgically removing a large ovarian cyst and referring to it as a 'standalone human expansion'.
Hey, some standalone human expansions really stood the test of time: HeLa cells were taken from a cervical tumour way back in 1951, and are still going strong! Like, 20 tons of biomass and invading other samples in biological research labs strong.

Ok, that's creepy :/
But still- SCIENCE!

Jan 12, 2012
I'm not sure I understand this piece: Is Yahtzee bothered by the fact that AAA studios are making expansions that do the same thing amateur programmers used to do? Because there's still plenty of remakings of games by fans; one of my favourite things to do is see what the community does with each iteration of Total War.

While the gulf of money definitely exists, the modding community has only grown in recent years. And if companies want to take their engine and cover it with new ideas, I say go for it; they can do some pretty amazing work, and it's just more variety.

maffgibson

Deep Breath Taker
Sep 10, 2013
blackrave said:
maffgibson said:
Yahtzee Croshaw said:

Ok, that's creepy :/
But still- SCIENCE!
Yeah, science does sometimes throw up stuff that sounds like the concept for a b-movie

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
Gat out of Hell really does seem like fanfiction, but in all honesty I think I'll take it over some real fan's fanfiction (as cruel as that sounds). Though I suppose the real fan's ideas are missed out on unless the game is on PC because mods.

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
Do people really say, "I preferred this when it was Cowboy Bebop"? I mean, I love Cowboy Bebop, it's one of my favorite animes, but . . . I mean, do people not realize that Cowboy Bebop was not the first show ever to do cowboys in space? Hell, anime wasn't even the first medium to do cowboys in space, despite them doing it a lot.

Aaaaaaaand . . . I really have nothing else to say.

Ambitiousmould

Why does it say I'm premium now?
Apr 22, 2012
I feel like Falskaar is something relevent to mention here. For those that don't know what it is:
http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/37994/?
It's a Skyrim mod. An incredible one. At least as big as Bethesda's own Dragonborn expansion and far, far better.
Maybe what Yahtzee misses in this article is just what we now call the Modding Community.

ryukage_sama

Mar 12, 2009
Where would Majora's Mask fall in this discussion? Is it just too good of a game for people to think of it as an expansion to Ocarina of Time? They developed new assets for it, but the same can be said for the rest of the games on this list.

lordloss217

Feb 25, 2014
ambitiousmould said:
I feel like Falskaar is something relevent to mention here. For those that don't know what it is:
It's a Skyrim mod. An incredible one. At least as big as Bethesda's own Dragonborn expansion and far, far better.
Maybe what Yahtzee misses in this article is just what we now call the Modding Community.
You forgot the fact you have to pay the nexus forums to download it.

Gretha Unterberg

Jul 14, 2013
RJ Dalton said:
Do people really say, "I preferred this when it was Cowboy Bebop"? I mean, I love Cowboy Bebop, it's one of my favorite animes, but . . . I mean, do people not realize that Cowboy Bebop was not the first show ever to do cowboys in space? Hell, anime wasn't even the first medium to do cowboys in space, despite them doing it a lot.

Who was first?

Bravestarr? Saber Rider ? the Galaxy Rangers ?

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
Gretha Unterberg said:
RJ Dalton said:

Who was first?

I cannot remember off the top of my head. I just remember it being brought up in a film class I took back in college. Some film back in the late seventies was pitched to the studios as a western in space (though I can't even remember which film was specifically named, I need to go back and see if I can find it in my notes). You didn't get the "cowboys in space" as a running theme in Sci-Fi anime until the mid 80s.

Falterfire

Jul 9, 2012
On topic: Eh, to me this reads mainly as a nostalgia rose-eyed view of the past. Mods are still a (huge) thing. Cheats weren't killed by DLC, they were killed by the achievement craze. DLC may not be as big as expansions, but it's also usually much cheaper and you can grab just the pieces that interest you. The good companies still do good work, the bad companies still price gouge over minor additions.

RJ Dalton said:

I think that was supposed to be a surprise swerve away from a Firefly mention, but I could be wrong.

Alex Baas

Dec 2, 2011
lordloss217 said:
ambitiousmould said:
You forgot the fact you have to pay the nexus forums to download it.
Really? So when I downloaded it without paying it was piracy?
(You do not need to pay to download mods off Nexus)

Gretha Unterberg

Jul 14, 2013
RJ Dalton said:
Gretha Unterberg said:
RJ Dalton said:

Who was first?

I cannot remember off the top of my head. I just remember it being brought up in a film class I took back in college. Some film back in the late seventies was pitched to the studios as a western in space (though I can't even remember which film was specifically named, I need to go back and see if I can find it in my notes). You didn't get the "cowboys in space" as a running theme in Sci-Fi anime until the mid 80s.
late 70s.... moss eisley ?

oldtaku

Jan 7, 2011
'Standalone' is just an awkward word for 'smaller version of the main game with a few tiny tweaks'. It sets expectations. If you bought Gat out of Hell expecting SR5 you'd be outraged, but you know it means 'it's a mini SR4'. That you have to start from scratch and most your content doesn't carry over from the main game are fairly important things 'standalone' also conveys.

For the rest of it I'm a bit lost - third party unofficial mods are still going strong; we haven't lost anything there. Even full conversions, though fewer since it's just so much content work now. So it's a bit lazy for AAA, but I don't see anything fundamentally wrong with something that produces Blood Dragon.

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
Gretha Unterberg said:
RJ Dalton said:
Gretha Unterberg said:
RJ Dalton said:

Who was first?

late 70s.... moss eisley ?
No, it definitely wasn't Star Wars. Star Wars was the Hero's Journey in space. And also that professor was adamant about not talking about Star Wars in class.