Star Wars: Force and Destiny's Core Rulebook Coming Q3 2015

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Star Wars: Force and Destiny's Core Rulebook Coming Q3 2015

The Core Rulebook for Fantasy Flight Game's Star Wars: Force and Destiny will have 448 pages and cost $59.95.

If you're a fan of both <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/star%20wars?os=star+wars>Star Wars and tabletop gaming then there's a good chance you've dipped your toes in the catalog of <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/fantasy%20flight%20games>Fantasy Flight Games. The makers of several well-regarded games grounded in the beloved franchise, the company has most recently been working hard on a new RPG based on brand. Dubbed Star Wars: Force and Destiny, the game announced back in 2012 and beta tested at Gen Con 2014. According to a recent press release, however, gamers can now expect the new RPG to release sometime during the third quarter of 2015.

The Core Rulebook, as described by the announcement, will be 448 pages in length and be fully illustrated to help "immerse players fully in the Star Wars universe." The book will include "all the information that players and GMs need to launch a Force and Destiny roleplaying campaign." This will include "instructions for character creation" as well as "a catalogue of gear" and "chapters on the Force." It will reportedly also include a "ready-to-play adventure" named Lessons from the Past that prospective GMs will be able to use to launch a campaign.

Force and Destiny itself will focus on a "struggle to restore balance to the Force" and follow "powerful Force-sensitive" players as they fight for "justice under Imperial rule" and search for "the lost remnants of the Jedi order." While the game will feature a new "independent" rule set and gameplay system, Fantasy Flight has designed it to be cross-compatible with its other Star Wars/ RPGs Age of Rebellion and Edge of Empire. The Core Rulebook the second quarter of 2015.

Frost27

Good news everyone!
Jun 3, 2011
I had my fill after I bought all of the Wizards of the Coast SAGA system books only for them to not renew the contract and kill the line. Aside from some absolutely idiotic design decisions on Wizards' part, it was a pretty solid game.

If you are wondering what design decisions I refer to, that would be things like the fact that every one of the books released had new races in it with no released indexing or overall reference so in order to know even so much as what races were available to play, you had to have and pour through every book.

The same was true with the class abilities (Skills, feats etc.). Whatever Wizards came up with between books went into the next offering so if you were attempting to create/level up a character and wanted to know what your options were, you basically had to memorize all of the books. Again, no indexing or eventual compilation.

Oh and it was possible for a level 1 jedi of the proper race to kill an AT-AT on the first round of combat if they won initiative.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Frost27 said:
I had my fill after I bought all of the Wizards of the Coast SAGA system books only for them to not renew the contract and kill the line. Aside from some absolutely idiotic design decisions on Wizards' part, it was a pretty solid game.

If you are wondering what design decisions I refer to, that would be things like the fact that every one of the books released had new races in it with no released indexing or overall reference so in order to know even so much as what races were available to play, you had to have and pour through every book.

The same was true with the class abilities (Skills, feats etc.). Whatever Wizards came up with between books went into the next offering so if you were attempting to create/level up a character and wanted to know what your options were, you basically had to memorize all of the books. Again, no indexing or eventual compilation.

Oh and it was possible for a level 1 jedi of the proper race to kill an AT-AT on the first round of combat if they won initiative.
Well, all the stuff you've described doesn't apply to the FFG system. If you haven't actually checked it out, I suggest you do so. It's actually a really fun system. It's more based on creative narrative between the GM and the players. There are some hard rules, but very minimal, most of the game centers around the players and the GM improvising what the results of the dice mean for a fun and cinematic experience. It's actually one of the more enjoyable game systems I've played in years, as it lets you control the narrative a lot more than you usually do as a player, without crippling the power of the GM at the same time.

I'm actually quite psyched that this book is finally out, I've been enjoying this game line for the past few years now, and am giddy to have my hands on the Jedi/Force rules in earnest soon. xD

Basement Cat

Keeping the Peace is Relaxing
Jul 26, 2012
So...is there any mention of whether this new rule book is canon (i.e. anything involving the post-Lucas deal with Disney) or is it "old-canon" which means it's "canon-state" will be inherently dubious?

StewShearer said:
I'm working off a difficult tablet. Sorry for the awkward quoting.

Jburton9

Aug 21, 2012
Woo! Awesome to hear! Oh wait a minute. Darn you FFG, you keep rolling crits vs my wallet. Here I thought I was safe with the two rpg book sets tamped down so I only needed to focus on Armada coming out and now this... lol

Well at least the black goes better on the shelf vs that really bright crimson red whew. : )