Critical Miss: Evolve Part 2

otakon17

Jun 21, 2010
McMarbles said:
Yep, that sure is a reference to a video game.
Actually, Thunderdome is a reference to Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome, third movie in the franchise of Mad Max.

Anyway, I like a Critical Miss comic that actually has some direct tie-in to a video game from time to time, this was a fun one. Shame the game is so damn controversial with the pre-order nonsense and $130 price tag to have access to everything.

teamcharlie

Jan 22, 2013
Good try! You referred to something in pop culture, the general topic was a video game, and you even have some nice art there. Now if you could just try putting in a joke next time, we'd be all set.

I believe in you!

Renegade-pizza

Jul 26, 2010
The monster is thinking: I'm not trapped in here with you, you're trapped in here with me!

Love the look of this one

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
6 players enter, 5 players leave. The monster is also a player-controlled character, right? I haven't been keeping up with Evolve.

Amir Kondori

Apr 11, 2013
I like to see Cory getting a chance to write. How collaborative is the usual process? Judging from the Penny Arcade videos those two guys seem to collaborate on the writing.

Grimh

Feb 11, 2009
cory you suck at this you should hang out with grey more he makes you better also give him half your money

No seriously though, your work is great.

I do always appreciate a Thunderdome reference, truly this went beyond what I could have hoped for.

Deathfish15

Nov 7, 2006
McMarbles said:

You're quite right. There is no joke here. This is basically a story of a single Evolve game played by Erin and pals. Well, not even a whole story as it's just a trek (pt. 1) and an ambush starting a fight. But there is no joke; no punchline, nothing interesting in the whole thing. If the "Tunderdome" part is a joke, it is definitely a missed one and is seen as nothing more than the banter of your common gamer. There needs to be substance and a bit more to using the characters outside what they'd just be playing the game normally.

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
My complaint about Evolve: Free
Thunderdome joke comment: $4.99
Serious constructive discussion: $9.99
Stop my complaints completely: Visit my Patreon!

>Go to cart<

wAriot

Jan 18, 2013
Nurb said:
My complaint about Evolve: Free
Thunderdome joke comment: $4.99
Serious constructive discussion: $9.99
Stop my complaints completely: Visit my Patreon!

>Go to cart<
You forgot the preorder exclusive: "How much did TRS pay you guys for this comic?" comment.

DeaDRabbiT

Sep 25, 2010
Deathfish15 said:
McMarbles said:

You're quite right. There is no joke here. This is basically a story of a single Evolve game played by Erin and pals. Well, not even a whole story as it's just a trek (pt. 1) and an ambush starting a fight. But there is no joke; no punchline, nothing interesting in the whole thing. If the "Tunderdome" part is a joke, it is definitely a missed one and is seen as nothing more than the banter of your common gamer. There needs to be substance and a bit more to using the characters outside what they'd just be playing the game normally.
Or you know, the more logical way of looking at it is they are trying to simply capture the essence of one of the cooler parts of a newly released game. Portraying an exciting moment in a few panels that all of us who have played the game can relate to.

Perhaps there doesn't always need to be a joke? Maybe you can enjoy things for what they are?