Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate Review - The Return of Dragon Pants

JonB

Don't Take Crap from Life
Sep 16, 2012
Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate Review - The Return of Dragon Pants

Sometimes one new feature is enough to make a game new... sometimes not.

Read Full Article

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Knocking on wood I can go get this today. I hear it's easier for SP. Not including the post game hunts.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Danm, I thought I was getting this today but no, it's arriving next Tuesday (I knew I should have went with instant day delivery despite the extra cost)!

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
I am looking forward to playing this. I thoroughly enjoyed MH3U and I understand that they made the combat more fluid, which is awesome. I have noticed that they have been doing that since the series progressed and it's a welcome change. I am unclear on something though, the advertising campaign for this really screwed the pooch. This is also for the old 3DS and not just the New 3DS, correct?

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Baresark said:
I am looking forward to playing this. I thoroughly enjoyed MH3U and I understand that they made the combat more fluid, which is awesome. I have noticed that they have been doing that since the series progressed and it's a welcome change. I am unclear on something though, the advertising campaign for this really screwed the pooch. This is also for the old 3DS and not just the New 3DS, correct?
Correct. I can play the demo on my original 3ds.

WWmelb

Sep 7, 2011
Just a thought... it would be really convenient if at the very start of reviews you could list the platform the game is available on. Platform is not mentioned until the penultimate paragraph.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
RaikuFA said:
Baresark said:
Good to know. I can't find an ad that doesn't simultaneously advertise the New 3DS. I plan on getting one but I'm gonna wait till Xenoblade Chronicles is closer to release. Thank You.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
They removed the underwater hunting? Oh, man! And I cramped my fingers so many times just to perfect my technique...

Ryallen

Will never say anything smart
Feb 25, 2014
Just to nitpick, it's not an insect staff, it's an insect glaive. That's the name, and there is a blade on the weapon.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Baresark said:
RaikuFA said:
Baresark said:
Good to know. I can't find an ad that doesn't simultaneously advertise the New 3DS. I plan on getting one but I'm gonna wait till Xenoblade Chronicles is closer to release. Thank You.
You're welcome. I'm also waiting until Xenoblade

Karadalis

Apr 26, 2011
RaikuFA said:
Knocking on wood I can go get this today. I hear it's easier for SP. Not including the post game hunts.
It is... thought being attacked on the ship by the title monster... yeah... fuck that douchebag with his virus attacks and wide swipes... the camera can really mess you up in that battle.

But so far im loving the new monster hunter title. Easier to get into... everything is being given to you step by step to not overwhelm new players and the online mode is as good as it ever gonna get with nintendo.

To bad it had to be on the 3DS and not a more powerfull consoles... but then again monster hunter is almost exclusively played on handhelds in japan

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Karadalis said:
RaikuFA said:
It is... thought being attacked on the ship by the title monster... yeah... fuck that douchebag with his virus attacks and wide swipes... the camera can really mess you up in that battle.

But so far im loving the new monster hunter title. Easier to get into... everything is being given to you step by step to not overwhelm new players and the online mode is as good as it ever gonna get with nintendo.

To bad it had to be on the 3DS and not a more powerfull consoles... but then again monster hunter is almost exclusively played on handhelds in japan
Almost everything is on handhelds in Japan now. Rarely anyone uses consoles nothere.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
Karadalis said:
RaikuFA said:

Honestly, Monster Hunter has always thrived on handhelds both in Japan and Worldwide. Capcom usually shuts down the servers on the console versions pretty quickly after a sequel is released and to be frank, MH is a lot more fun with friends on handhelds locally.

The handheld versions are usually the most feature complete as well which is a plus.

Story

Note to self: Prooof reed posts
Sep 4, 2013
So I kinda really want this game. At the same time, I'm crazy intimidated by it. Is that weird?
I've wanted to experience the Monster Hunter series for a long time now.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Story said:
So I kinda really want this game. At the same time, I'm crazy intimidated by it. Is that weird?
If youve been watching intermediate or high level hunts then i suppose its not weird to be intimidated.

But in reality its gonna be a couple hours before youre set up with your first Great Jaggi. And several more before you get take on the likes of Rathalos, Tigrex or Zinogre.

JonB

Don't Take Crap from Life
Sep 16, 2012
Ryallen said:
Just to nitpick, it's not an insect staff, it's an insect glaive. That's the name, and there is a blade on the weapon.
Man! The thing they were calling it pre-release was staff, and it's just stuck in my head. I'll update accordingly.

gigastar said:
Story said:
If youve been watching intermediate or high level hunts then i suppose its not weird to be intimidated.

But in reality its gonna be a couple hours before youre set up with your first Great Jaggi. And several more before you get take on the likes of Rathalos, Tigrex or Zinogre.
I encourage you to get in there! It's a pretty approachable game this time out, without any fancy weird things (like swimming) weighing us down.

Kaimax

Jul 25, 2012
JonB said:
Ryallen said:
Man! The thing they were calling it pre-release was staff, and it's just stuck in my head. I'll update accordingly.
Usual translations stuff, there will always be confusion.
In the Japanese version it's called Sōchūkon, which means "Insect Taming Staff" "Insect Operating Rod", "Neopteron Handler", and "Insect Rod". So, you're not actually wrong.

Heck, the Charge Blade was called the "Charge Axe" in the Japanese version and some of my friends who actually bought a Japanese 3DS to play MH4G first is still calling it that.

Small FYI: Switch Axe was originally called the "Slash Axe"