Gamepad, Joystick, Motion Gun? Grifta Is One Controller To Rule Them All

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Gamepad, Joystick, Motion Gun? Grifta Is One Controller To Rule Them All

The Grifta controller Kickstarter lets you completely customize your gamepad - right down to reassembling it as a motion-based IR gun.

For all of our advances in gaming, <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/139115-Steam-Controller-Gets-Another-Redesign>there's still no standard controller you can play everything on. The two-stick Xbox/PlayStation gamepad scheme comes close, but it usually goes out the window once <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/9991-Elite-Dangerous-Review>you're playing a genre they weren't designed for or simply run out of buttons for the various command prompts. Today we all have our favorite setups, but playing across multiple platforms and genres requires individual controllers - which makes the Grifta Kickstarter so interesting. Instead of working with a single design scheme, the Grifta's modular design flips from a classic controller, to a handgrip/mouse combo, to an IR-tracking motion gun with the same device. What's more, it's intended for use on PC, Android, Xbox, and PlayStation platforms.

Instead of working within the confines of a single gamepad, the Grifta modules function as gamepad components that can be customized to suit the user. If you want a classic gamepad style, you simply connect a D-Pad unit with an ABXY button unit. These units function independently as well - you can leave them unattached and carry one in each hand, giving you room to move you arms. You can also play in keyboard mode, using the Grifta D-Pad unit for movement and a mouse for precise aiming. Each component uses mechanical switches instead of rubber for better responses, and comes with custom grips that fit different hand sizes.

[kickstarter=1384390939/grifta-morphing-gamepad]

That covers most typical living room and PC gaming configurations, but Grifta's stretch goals hope to go beyond that. For example, the Infra-Red Antler attachment turns the Grifta into a motion controller. If it works as advertised, that means the Grifta could have a significant role in VR gaming - you could turn one direction in an Oculus Rift while aiming with your hands, instead of a traditional controller. Later stretch goals include mobile and tablet expansions, letting you play Android devices on the go with familiar control schemes.

[gallery=3837]

The Grifta is already out of the prototype stage, but would use Kickstarter funds for a much smoother production and assembly process. As of writing, the project is sitting at 60% of its base goal, hoping to reach £65,000 in the next 40 days. If successful, backers will start receiving their Grifta controllers in Summer 2015 - whether they're good enough to fully replace your traditional gamepads remains to be seen.

Source: <a href=https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1384390939/grifta-morphing-gamepad>Kickstarter

Gizmo1990

Insert funny title here
Oct 19, 2010
I like the idea but I can't help but think that if Swatting ever results in a death it will be because of this.

Naqel

Nov 21, 2009
I don't see a 6 button(fight-pad style) version of the right hand unit, so it's a pass.

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
This is sort of neat. I somewhat do not like how keyboard movement is not analog, but not enough to ever get one of those second gamepads. The IR aiming might get my to buy something like this someday, if I don't try the Wiimote hacks that can be found across the internets. I'll check it out if it hits retail, where I can feel it.

My issue with is this kickstarter seems to be another one of those that seems a little unfocused. Lot's of the rewards are "VIP" trips. They have a camera app for Android. (If the Android programmers had spare time to work on it, I guess that's ok.) They talk about a stretch goal for a selfie stick. Ugh. There just seems to be a lot on top of all of the different configuration for tablets, PC, consoles and phones. (Of course, that might be how a lot of kickstarters try to get as many backers as possible. I haven't really looked at too many kickstarter pages.)
Gizmo1990 said:
I like the idea but I can't help but think that if Swatting ever results in a death it will be because of this.
If you think that is bad, just look at this [https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/356540105/delta-six-a-new-kind-of-game-controller]. Though, if I was a streamer that used either one, I probably would call any local law enforcement agency, just to let them know I might be swatted and might have a very realistic fake gun in my hands.

FogHornG36

Jan 29, 2011
I though about it for a while, but i just can't think of why i would really need this, maybe if i didn't already own a 360 controller for any game that needs it i would.

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
sounds cool. But I hesitate to use IR tracking in VR... I have a razer hydra, and the difference between that and the IR tracking Wii remote system is like night and day.

It's not always perfect in terms of reading position and orientation (it's consistent. Put it in the same spot in space, and it will give the same readings, but those readings don't always match reality), but as far as motion tracking things it blows other systems out of the water.

Unfortunately, it's also hellishly expensive. As seen from it's successor, the six-sense stem system (six-sense designed the tech, razer merely sold it)

The new system supports 5 point tracking (10 with 2 base stations), but even just 2 point tracking (like the hydra) costs $200. actual 5 point tracking would be $500, and in theory you could do 10 point tracking (well, 12, because the hydra can operate alongside this), but that requires 2 base stations, and you'd end up with a $1000 system...

On the upside, 10 accurately tracked points can work absolute wonders for VR. That's enough to accurately track arms, legs, and 2 core body points and still have a few trackers left over.

(if you're clever with placement and IK calculations, you can track whole body motions pretty reliably with 6 trackers - not counting head motions. But the Rift has it's own tracking anyway)

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
Hairless Mammoth said:
Gizmo1990 said:
If you think that is bad, just look at this [https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/356540105/delta-six-a-new-kind-of-game-controller]. Though, if I was a streamer that used either one, I probably would call any local law enforcement agency, just to let them know I might be swatted and might have a very realistic fake gun in my hands.
Eeech! Swatting isn't very likely to happen in my country, but owning one of those could probably get me in legal trouble just on what it looks like alone...

JET1971

Apr 7, 2011
"whether they're good enough to fully replace your traditional gamepads remains to be seen." I don't get this, if it has the right buttons/sticks and a comfortable layout as well as made from quality materials then why wouldn't it be able to replace the controller that came with the console? If you play on PlayStation, Xbox, and PC having a universal controller would be nice so you get used to how the one controller feels and button placement rather than 2 different controllers.

cikame

Jun 11, 2008
I'm not sold on a mechanical 4 button d-pad being good for fighting games, those bumper buttons don't look too useful, if you think about controller use for action and fighting games it's a two handed grip of a controller which makes hitting things quickly and accurately possible, you might tense or push a palm into the controller to make a certain movement. It's good that you can link the two units together, but they both need charging, i like a wired controller on PC so i don't have to think about power, so i'd have two USB slots being used and two cables coming out of the controller? Also how does it connect, bluetooth? So... 3 USB slots?

Definately not for me, i'm still waiting for someone to make a solid standard layout pad for games on PC, nothing fancy.

I can see this being useful for VR stuff for sure, but those individual hand controllers already exist, the Razer Hydra for example.

loa

Jan 28, 2012
I already use a gamepad onehanded with functions mapped to each button via joy2key to control photoshop on a tablet so this would be neat for such things too.
This is basically the wii controller with a different design.

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
"combining a headset with a keyboard isn't a good mix"

The future of oculus rift ladies and gentleman, Dumbed-down control schemes for future games. As if today's games weren't bad enough.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Why do I get a sinking feeling that control pad will be banned in competitive/ tournament games due to its quicker button response layout?

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
Hairless Mammoth said:
Gizmo1990 said:
Damnit, its a fucking sad world when you have to consider things like this if you were considering whether to buy one of these or not.

Gennadios

Aug 19, 2009
I can't help but laugh at any gamepad that even hints at competing with the keyboard and mouse. Concept aside, there were decades worth of gamepads/joysticks/controllers that tried to replace mouse and keyboard for RTS and FPS games and they all failed, that soured the whole product for me right there.

Also, wasn't there some kind of controller jockstrap thing that ruined a PR company who'se wwebsite as on the internet that promised to revolutionize button response? Who's still using it? If history is any indication this'll be another headstone in a very expansive graveyard.

Fensfield

Nov 4, 2009
Seeing as nobody else mentioned.. the Escapist article says shipment is to be expected Summer 2016, but everything I can see on the Kickstarter page - particularly this image: https://ksr-ugc.imgix.net/assets/003/292/351/e99728f28740f312906c19f059e15c82_original.jpg?v=1424095046&w=700&h=&fit=max&auto=format&q=92&s=7d1ea2ddb3e99b4de1b7a8dc017797db and the estimated delivery date under the pledge tiers, states Summer 2015.

major_chaos

Ruining videogames
Feb 3, 2011
Well that's... interesting at least. Sure as hell looks more promising than the Steam controller. Not sure about the ergonomics of the thing, and disappointed they went with Playstation style stick layout, but I still might pick one of these up if/when they hit retail.

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Fensfield said:
Seeing as nobody else mentioned.. the Escapist article says shipment is to be expected Summer 2016, but everything I can see on the Kickstarter page - particularly this image: https://ksr-ugc.imgix.net/assets/003/292/351/e99728f28740f312906c19f059e15c82_original.jpg?v=1424095046&w=700&h=&fit=max&auto=format&q=92&s=7d1ea2ddb3e99b4de1b7a8dc017797db and the estimated delivery date under the pledge tiers, states Summer 2015.
That's a typo. Good catch.