8 Strategy Games that Should be Remastered

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
8 Strategy Games that Should be Remastered

Now that Homeworld Remastered is out, we want to see these eight strategy games get an updated release.

Read Full Article

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Well, a BFME2 remaster hasnt got a snowballs chance in hell. EA doesnt even have the Middle Earth liscence anymore and you bet that the Tolkien estate will rip your throat out if you tried to do it yourself.

Speaking of liscences, Empire at War is also buried under a liscencing snarl.

And Command and Conquer is simply dead to me now. And as far as im concerned, nothing with an EA label is worth a moment of my time.

As for Dungeon Keeper, i think we are all better off looking to that imitator whose name escapes me.

A bit sad though. EA used to do good strategy games, and they must have done decently in sales or they wouldnt have released one a year for 13 years running.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
I would like to throw in the Myth: The Fallen Lords series. This game actually ruined RTS games for me because nothing else played like it. Units weren't static groups, but an individual person. Hits weren't done by numbers, but rather by if you actually hit the target. An enemy throws a spear at you? If you move the unit fast enough, you can dodge it.
And there was no resource gathering, building bases or anything like that. You had a set number of units, and if you didn't play your hand right, you didn't make it through the mission.

And the story was great too. There's plenty left in that world to explore, but I fear that the legal rights to the series would be a mess.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
EA worked hard to kill Command & Conquer. Don't give them ideas to resurrect the corpse so they can set it on fire.

Fun fact about Battle for Middle Earth 2, the DRM broke the single player story campaign.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
And Metal Fatigue, an RTS game that many here haven't seen for some reason. C'mon! You can customize giant robots to beat up tanks and other giant robots! You could give them giant swords, missle torsos and rocket feet! No?

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
Yeah, sadly EA's license for the LOTR games expired a while ago and you can't really get copies of BFME 2 any more (at fair prices). Of all those listed, I'd quite like to see Generals and Dawn of War remastered most of all. Warcraft III had more timeless mods and maps for it than I can even recall.

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
No games from the Dune series? Little disappointing but I cannot really disagree with the choices as they are all good ones.

Ihateregistering1

Mar 30, 2011
All good choices, though I have a few more that I'd personally add.

-As someone already mentioned, the 'Dune' games would be awesome in HD with a new engine, especially "Emperor: Battle for Dune".

-'Krush, Kill, and Destroy". I have a soft spot in my heart for this whacky series. It's basically Command and Conquer meets Fallout meets Mad Max, but it's aged badly due to old graphics and old RTS controls. Would love an HD remake of these games.

-Universe at War: Earth Assault. This game still looks good, I would just love to see it re-released so it gets more attention. I'd argue it's one of the most underrated RTS games ever.

-Rise of Legends. I'd really prefer a full-on sequel to this one, as the game's campaign was its weakest element, but this game was so creative and fun, with incredibly interesting and varied factions that were totally different than the usual fantasy tropes of knights, elves, orcs, etc. Would love to see this one out again.

-Myth and Myth 2 (already mentioned). These games were so freakin' good, and so far ahead of their time, that they still hold up pretty well today, but a graphics overhaul would be so much fun. Just make sure to keep the same narrator and music.

Akjosch

Sep 12, 2014
No mention of SMAC? What kind of weirdo universe did I land in?

Also, a proper XCom game would be nice to have. You know, one where they don't cut out the strategic part of the strategy game.

TheArcaneThinker

Jul 19, 2014
Age of mythology is much better than Age of empires . It should be there instead . Though both of them do not need a remastered version since they hold just as well as they did back then .

Nick Vargish

Jun 22, 2010
Another vote for Myth. Great tactical play, positioning really mattered and knowing how to use the terrain was crucial to victory. It also had a wicked sense of humor that ran through the gameplay.

wetfart

Jul 11, 2010
C&C Generals was fun but the last couple of times I've played C&C my love for the games has faded. RA3 was just frustrating and C&C3, while charming in it's over the top acting, left me annoyed towards the end of the game and after speaking with a fellow C&C, and Nod, enthusiast I stayed far far away from C&C4. Maybe someday I'll rediscover my love for the great green crystal....

I had high hopes for Empire at War. I like RTS. I loved Star Wars. So this should work, right? No. Not for me. I think the problem was I was expecting Warcraft or C&C + Star Wars. Instead I got something else. Yea, I can understand that mining / base building wouldn't really work but I always felt that the battle scenarios were frustrating. Why can't I set up a blockade? Or just bombard from orbit? Why can I only land 3 AT-ATs when I have a fleet of star destroyers in orbit? Either way, it wasn't the game for me and I never finished it.

mrdeclandeadly

Feb 24, 2015
I'm not sure I would like a remaster Dawn of War, even though it was a deadly game. If I was picking a Warhammer game that needed a remake, I'd choose Dark Omen.

Though I'd agree with the rest of the list, particularly AoE 3.

WindofHawks

Aug 14, 2014
Total Annihilation Kingdoms needs a sequel more than a remake. Here would be my suggestion: have it based around 10 (yes, 10) factions born from refugees from the war in the original game in some far off land. All of the original units are there in some sort, but now the factions are greatly expanded:

Apart from the standard Earth (medieval), Fire (demonic), Wind (barbarian) and Water (Greco-Roman), we now have:

The Sun: Aztec themed.
The Moon: Gothic themed (the Fire one would be more demonic)
Ice: Norse/Inuit themed
The Sand: Arabic themed
The Stone: Oriental themed
The Forge: basically the Creon again, steampunk themed.

ryukage_sama

Mar 12, 2009
I'd love to play a Warcraft RTS sequel. I've collected some Warcraft merch and decorations featuring Warcraft III characters, but people assume they're an indicator that I'm a WoW player. I've always like Blizzard's RTS games best. It's a shame they make so much money off their MMO that the Warcraft franchise's roots aren't explored anymore.

Gutsripper

Aug 23, 2010
Good list, love me some good RTS, I got about 6 of this list actually.

gigastar said:
As for Dungeon Keeper, i think we are all better off looking to that imitator whose name escapes me.
I think it's 'War for the Overworld' you're thinking of.

Jeroenr

Nov 20, 2013
wetfart said:
C&C Generals was fun but the last couple of times I've played C&C my love for the games has faded. RA3 was just frustrating and C&C3, while charming in it's over the top acting, left me annoyed towards the end of the game and after speaking with a fellow C&C, and Nod, enthusiast I stayed far far away from C&C4. Maybe someday I'll rediscover my love for the great green crystal....
As a fellow C&C fan who did play play C&C4.
Let me tell you, you really dodged a bullet there.

But Generals always bugged me a bit.
I loved the game, make no mistake.
But to me it never truly felt like a C&C game.
It felt more like they (EA) used the C&C name for brand recognition.

But i do think the game play was good and the faction different and balanced.

As a C&C Fan:
EA, if you remaster C&C: Generals. Please Drop the C&C franchise and just go with Generals.
(ow and don't make it Origin only)

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
TheArcaneThinker said:
Age of mythology is much better than Age of empires . It should be there instead . Though both of them do not need a remastered version since they hold just as well as they did back then .
They already remastered Age of Mythology! http://store.steampowered.com/app/266840/

J Tyran said:
No games from the Dune series? Little disappointing but I cannot really disagree with the choices as they are all good ones.
Man, I completely forgot Dune. You have my most sincere apology. We need that remaster.

Dr. Thrax

Dec 5, 2011
Ihateregistering1 said:
-Universe at War: Earth Assault. This game still looks good, I would just love to see it re-released so it gets more attention. I'd argue it's one of the most underrated RTS games ever.
I've enjoyed the hell outta UAW, the only faction I don't like playing is the Hierarchy, but that's just because they're a weird faction.
The Masari is my main faction, but I also love the Novus.
The diversity between the 3 factions is awesome, and the resource mechanic is cool.
A failed assault on an enemy base can help them retaliate against you by collecting the wreckage of your army, unless they're Masari units.

I did find a neat little trick when playing as the Masari to gather resources from wreckage and the environment despite not being able to actually collect them. Get Queen Altea to use her Unmake ability on any wreckage or other object that grants resources for the other factions, because these do not belong to any player, the resources generated from Unmake will be given to you and will keep accumulating even after you've hit your resource cap. 'S a great way to get rid of all the junk generated from a Hierarchy Mass Drop and to boost your early economy if playing Global Conquest.