5 "Mom Dies" Movies that Make Guys Cry

Firefilm

May 27, 2011
5 "Mom Dies" Movies that Make Guys Cry

The loss of a loved one is hard, but when it is a mom, even guys have a tendency to lose that tough exterior.

Read Full Article

Not Lord Atkin

I'm dead inside.
Oct 25, 2008
where's Forrest Gump? I vaguely remember that making me tear up in the most uncomfortable way.

Although that's more of an 'everyone you ever loved (including your mom) dies' kind of a film.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
The Land Before Time is incredibly dark for a kid's film, not even fucking Bambi's mom made me feel all the feels TLBT made me feel.

Sep 14, 2009
the land before time got me depressed, even as a kid who basically never got sad over anything...shit was emotional, yo.

most of the other ones weren't too bad, I didn't feel like I was that invested in that character really to feel much.

debtcollector

Jan 31, 2012
Here's what I think about that: http://www.avclub.com/article/fake-deaths-cheap-resurrections-and-dealing-real-g-210402

It's a bit lengthy, and a heavy read, but it comes from a far more genuine place than any of these movies, and certainly more than this article did.
[Guardians'] opening, with young Peter Quill failing to say goodbye to his dying mother, is still blatant, gross manipulation of its audience, and, sitting in that theater with tears streaming down my face, I found myself getting pissed off. Having death shoved in my face in the first minutes of what was supposed to be a vacation from the shitty reality of my life tainted the entire movie-going experience, and suddenly, I couldn't help but see every subsequent moment of the film--the weirdly bloodless combat, the plot-mandated sudden sad revelations that occurred like clockwork every 15 minutes, the perfunctory killing off of the supporting cast?as bald manipulation by people who didn't understand what sorrow really was, or that death wasn't just a plot device but a real thing, hideous and ever-present.

I don't know. I feel like saying "people cry at these scenes that are calculated to elicit that exact emotional response" is really all-too-obvious, and without any insight as to how they work, I just don't see what the point is. These articles have always felt pretty forced, but this one was so obvious it was just blatant.

47_Ronin

Jul 30, 2012
debtcollector said:
These articles have always felt pretty forced, but this one was so obvious it was just blatant.
Agreed. After a bunch of BS examples that made no one tear up, they brought out the big guns this time.
Man, some of the newer formats on the Escapist really irk me.