Report: Xbox Exec Phil Harrison Has Left Microsoft

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Report: Xbox Exec Phil Harrison Has Left Microsoft

Microsoft refuses to confirm nor deny Phil Harrison's departure from the company.

Gamesindustry.biz [http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2015-03-04-report-phil-harrison-to-leave-microsoft] is reporting that it has learned from multiple sources at this year's Game Developers Conference that long-standing Microsoft executive Phil Harrison has left the company.

"I don't, no. I'm sorry, I don't think I can say anything about that," Xbox boss Phil Spencer told Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/] when asked today at GDC. Chris Charla, director of ID@Xbox also refused to offer a comment when asked,and Microsoft spokesperson stepped in to say Charla wasn't the person to ask about staffing issues, and gave the standard PR line of "the company does not comment on rumour or speculation."

GamesIndustry.biz claims that that Harrison grew frustrated when Don Mattrick's departure [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/125553-Xbox-President-Don-Mattrick-Leaving-For-Zynga-UPDATED] and Phil Spencer's subsequent promotion did not result in him moving up the corporate ladder. At the time, he reportedly told Microsoft that he would leave if he wasn't offered a new position, and now it seems that Harrison has made good on his promise.

Harrison has been with Microsoft since 2012, where he joined as VP of the Interactive Entertainment Business and EMEA. He was brought into the Xbox team by Mattrick, who it's understood had a long standing friendship with, and mutual respect for, Harrison.

We have reached out to Microsoft for confirmation.

Source: Gamesindustry.biz [http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2015-03-04-report-phil-harrison-to-leave-microsoft]

flying_whimsy

Dec 2, 2009
Steven Bogos said:
VP of the Interactive Entertainment Business and EMEA
So he did what, exactly? Was he vice president of the entire xbox division or (I'm guessing) some form of marketing decision maker for foreign markets? I understand he sometimes worked as a front man/idea guy/face for demonstrations and such. I ask more because I'm curious as to what impact (if any) this will have on the company.

I'm sure that some people will probably want to paint this as 'microsoft is doomed, all their execs are leaving,' but it sounds more like corporate nepotism gone wrong. It's also worth pointing out that this guy has been bouncing more and more frequently from company to company over the last decade or so; which I can't tell is a sign of growing dissatisfaction with the industry on his part or due more to increasingly hostile workplaces as the AAA side of the industry gets more desperate.

I also find it kind of amusing that we think of him as long-standing even though he's only been there for two years. Is the xbox branch's turnover rate really that high? Granted, after the cluster that the xbone's launch turned into I'm surprised they didn't just fire everyone.

Also, why are so many of microsoft's front guys bald? It must have something to do with that legendary bowl cut Gates had...

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
If he was involved with Don Mattrick then all I can say is good riddence, less people involved with the failure of the XBO's launch still employed at Microsoft the better.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
"Agent Phil, your mission is complete."

But yeah, I wouldn't find it all that surprising if true, and I don't think MS would care that much about the loss.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
Wow, what an asshole. The less of matricks Ilk in gaming the better. He'll have a mobile gaming job soon, I'm sure.

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
My favourite part is that the article called him a "long standing executive" and then stated that he started in 2012. Seeing as 2015 just began, I find it amusing that at most 3 years is considered long standing.

Frankly, MS is archaic and doesn't know what to do with anything anymore.

Pyrian

Hat Man
Legacy
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
Country
US
So... Your division screwed up, your boss got the ax, and you're mad you didn't fail up? Nice.

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
I'd like to think the real reason is the two Phils fought in a duel, Spencer screamed "There can be only one... Phil!." Then, a quickening took out a small section of the Microsoft offices.

Pyrian said:
So... Your division screwed up, your boss got the ax, and you're mad you didn't fail up? Nice.
That's my feeling on this. Many of us are lucky to be getting by with just enough to pay rent/bills/car payments, and he whining he didn't get promotion after being with a company, that is probably paying him 7 figures, for just 2 years.

I haven't paid attention enough to know if he was better than Mattrick, but it sounds like neopotism and being spoiled is his notable attributes.

StreamerDarkly

Disciple of Trevor Philips
Jan 15, 2015
Pyrian said:
Sounds exactly right. The thing is, I have zero doubt that guys like Mattrick and Harrison still don't accept they screwed up - rather it's the fault of the company for backing down on their brilliant plans.

I mean, there are still quite a few MS fundamentalists out there who don't even draw a paycheck from the company but nonetheless whine about how everyone ruined the discless game sharing revolution for them, and how everyone overreacted to the always-on connection requirements, and how Kinect would have raised gaming to a new level if only it had remained mandatory. They just can't let it go.

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
So....he left because Microsoft didn't give him a fucking promotion? Yeah, when your ass desperate for a higher paying job and corporations know it, don't be surprised that you don't get that position.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
If only more useless rich guys with stars in their eyes and nothing in their heads would ragequit the company... They might turn a real profit!