Ultron Conquers The World (Again) In Avengers: Ultron Forever

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Ultron Conquers The World (Again) In Avengers: Ultron Forever

Marvel Comics Avengers: Ultron Forever will unite heroes from across time to face the Ultron Singularity - just in time for a certain movie release.

With <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/140007-New-Avengers-2-Trailer-Gives-Sneak-Peak-at-Vision>Avengers: Age of Ultron's release just two months away, Marvel Comics is naturally interested in releasing Ultron-themed comics for fans. But since the comic book Avengers <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/139551-Marvel-Comics-and-Ultimate-Universes-Will-Merge-In-Secret-Wars>are pretty busy with other things right now, Marvel will roll out a standalone mini-series about Ultron and time travel called Avengers: Ultron Forever, written by Al Ewing with art from Alan Davis. The premise? <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/116380-Artificially-Intelligent-Being-Designs-Videogame-for-Humans>Ultron is actually the singularity.

500 years in the future, Earth is a wasteland almost completely devoid of human life. Everyone who's left lives under the control of the Ultron Singularity with no hope of resistance - except from Doctor Doom. The former Fantastic Four villain has a plan to defeat Ultron once and for all - summon superheroes from different time periods to form a new Avengers team. Now the present day Black Widow and Vision must work alongside James "Iron Man" Rhodes, the Hulk, two Thors, and Danielle "Captain America" Cage to stop Ultron at his height.

There's a couple of ways to look at Ultron Forever. On the one hand, it's very cool to see heroes from across the timeline working together like this. In particular, I absolutely love that Danielle Cage - the daughter of Luke Cage and Jessica Jones - somehow became the future Captain America.

That being said, Ultron Forever bears a very strong resemblance to Marvel's Age of Ultron comic book. While Age of Ultron has no connection to the film version, it does present an apocalyptic future ruled by Ultron that can only be stopped by time travel. In fairness, the time travel mechanic is wildly different in Ultron Forever - plus Age of Ultron featured surprisingly little of Ultron to begin with - but it was published so recently that a retread seems unnecessary.

[gallery=3887]

Still... Danielle Cage as Captain America is a good sign Ultron Forever's plot twists will stand out - even if this is just a movie tie-in. (Why else does Doctor Doom need Black Widow, from everyone in time and space, to fight Ultron?) I, for one, will be very curious to check this book out when it launches on April 1st.

Godzillarich(aka tf2godz)

Get the point
Legacy
Aug 1, 2011
Cretaceous
Country
USA
So this is a story about people using time travel to stop Ultron from take over the world, That sound familiar also wasn't Ultron erased from history or something at the and of Age of Ultron.

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
tf2godz said:
So this is a story about people using time travel to stop Ultron from take over the world, That sound familiar also wasn't Ultron erased from history or something at the and of Age of Ultron.
No they just

altered the ending of an Avengers issue from a year or two earlier, so he was stopped at that point in time instead of getting away.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
So why does he summon specific heroes from specific times? He calculate that they have the total sum of beating Ultron?

I dunno, it seen to be a pointless mix mash of a team as oppose to bring a whole team together as a whole.

Alar

The Stormbringer
Dec 1, 2009
So who are the different Iron Man and Captain America people? I'm not against new people replacing old people, I just don't recognize them in the least.

Also, I agree... why is Black Widow there?

flying_whimsy

Dec 2, 2009
I really liked the facebook comment under the article that said they couldn't accept this plotline because doom didn't just summon five versions of himself.

I'm getting rather sick of time travel stories, especially since marvel has this really bad habit of making their worst villains the good guys when everyone else is dead.

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Alar said:
So who are the different Iron Man and Captain America people? I'm not against new people replacing old people, I just don't recognize them in the least.

Iron Man is Rhodey, from a period in the comics where he wore the armor instead of Tony.

Captain America is Danielle Cage from the future. No worries if you didn't recognize her though, because <a href=http://marvel.wikia.com/Danielle_Cage_%28Earth-616%29>she's only a baby in the comics right now.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Haha, "All new story about Ultron and time travel! So long as you never read Age of Ultron!"

Sounds.... same-y to me. I don't have any faith in Marvel to hire good writers at all anymore. But that is bound to happen when it's all built around the MCU. If we can have a moment of silence please....

Disclaimer: For anyone who wants to complain about my comments, do keep in mind that this is my opinion and based on my idea about all the big summer series I have read since AvX and beyond. If you disagree, that is fine. We can both have different opinions and it's OK. As someone smarter than myself once said: "You are entitled to your wrong opinion"... or maybe it was some hick who loves the Republicrats. A broken clock is right twice a day.

Alar said:
MCU! That is really the only reason.

Clankenbeard

Clerical Error
Mar 29, 2009
I am unfamiliar with three-toed Hulk. He looks a bit Neanderthal-ish to me. So, time travel, eh? Why not go back in time to before Ultron was built and give Mr. Pym a little counseling? That seems easier. Have Jocasta do it. That won't create any paradoxes or anything.

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Clankenbeard said:
I am unfamiliar with three-toed Hulk. He looks a bit Neanderthal-ish to me. So, time travel, eh? Why not go back in time to before Ultron was built and give Mr. Pym a little counseling? That seems easier. Have Jocasta do it. That won't create any paradoxes or anything.
Have you read Age of Ultron? They address what you suggested, more or less.

It doesn't work out. :)

Clankenbeard

Clerical Error
Mar 29, 2009
Fanghawk said:
Clankenbeard said:
Have you read Age of Ultron? They address what you suggested, more or less.

It doesn't work out. :)
I have not read all of Age of Ultron--I read about 3 books' worth. I will acquire and read the rest of the series now. I had assumed that this was a issue that would have to be addressed and slapped down in time-travelling scenarios. By your comment, I see that it clearly was.

Drake Barrow

Jan 10, 2010
Why didn't he grab a hold of one of the 'good' Ultron variants? Might've given the Ultron Singularity a bit more of a run for its money. Two Thors seems rather silly to me, and there's a remarkable lack of people with a 'solid' connection to Ultron. The Vision? Absolutely, and through him the Scarlet Witch. Otherwise...not a lot else going on. Why these people specifically? Wouldn't you want the people who understood Ultron best, like Pym and Simon Williams?

Mild griping on my part, but nothing here to get worked up over, for or against.

flying_whimsy said:
I really liked the facebook comment under the article that said they couldn't accept this plotline because doom didn't just summon five versions of himself.

I'm getting rather sick of time travel stories, especially since marvel has this really bad habit of making their worst villains the good guys when everyone else is dead.
Not that I blame you, but the mark of a complex villain is how (or if) they can do a heel-face turn. Doom has been one of my favorite comic villains because he's actually pretty complex. Despite all the hideous things he's done over the course of Marvel history, he's only a couple good days away from being a hero. A few What If...? and alternate continuities explored this back in the day. In a similar vein, Magneto has been a better heroic figure than Professor Xavier in a couple of those stories. Because a villain has hero potential doesn't make him weaker as a character, nor does exploring/exploiting that potential make for a bad story. Overused, it's just as annoying as shoving Wolverine or Deadpool into everything, but Marvel has enough bad guys who'll never turn around that they don't need to keep everyone as monsters like Apocalypse or Mr. Sinister.

I think, on a personal basis, this story would be a bit more satisfying if Doom had grabbed a host of villains from across time, or better yet, a mix of heroes and villains. Stopping something like Ultron requires ruthlessness that most of the Marvel line up lacked at one point or another, to say nothing of technical know-how and raw power. Pick the cast carefully, and you would have a great dynamic of characters bouncing off one another all the while being threatened by a greater menace. That's just my .02, though.

Angelous Wang

Lord of I Don't Care
Oct 18, 2011
Drake Barrow said:
Two Thors seems rather silly to me
There always going to be two Thor's in Marvel from now on.

You are going to have the new female Thor as the mainstream Thor with the normal Mjolnir and all the powers of normal Thor.

Then you have Thorr Odinson, who was the original Asgardian Thor who has now become unworthy to be "Thor", so he went to an alternate universe and stole an alternate Mjolnir that can only be used unworthy. He calls himself "Thorr" now because that was the name spelling of the alternate Thor the hammer belonged to. He has also lost his right arm up to the shoulder and has a cybernetic replacement (quite similar to the Winter Soldier).