Servo is a Loot-Hunting RTS

Encaen

May 6, 2005
Servo is a Loot-Hunting RTS

The only thing you collect in most RTS games are resources, but Servo's focus on the hero units and their equipment means you'll be digging up loot to boot.

At GDC 2015, I got to sit down with the gentlemen from BonusXP, the studio behind the upcoming RTS Servo, to discuss exactly what their goals are with the game. I'm a big fan of genre-blending, and Servo wants to bring its RPG elements to the forefront of the otherwise-traditional RTS. WarCraft hero characters are a great example of a light RPG integration, but Servo wants to take it to the next level, with character classes, a Diablo-esque paper doll equipment setup, and between 500 and 1000 pieces of unique gear for you to hunt down while you play.

The story behind Servo is basically the gold rush in space, with Bloom being the resource that everybody's trying to get their hands on. To get the Bloom, you've got to have some force, and that's where Servos come in. Servos are basically piloted mechs the size of large buildings, which are the focus of your army. Rather than the "heroes" supporting the army, in Servo, the armies support the Servos. You've got three classes of Servo to choose from, which will decide the equipment options and abilities. Additionally, there are several pilots to choose from, each of which comes with its own special active ability. Finally, some of your gear will provide you with new or upgraded versions of your abilities. For example, you might equip a grenade launcher on one arm of your Servo, giving you a medium-range AOE attack.

With the focus being squarely on your Servos, unit production ceases to be your most important task, but it's still crucial to have support for your mechs, so you'll want to build factories and queue up a unit for production. It handles it from there, churning out that unit type until you tell it to work on something else. It's a little weird for an RTS, but I can appreciate that they want you fighting with your Servos, not micromanaging your production queues.

Servo is designed to be consumed in bite-sized chunks, so, instead of a 45 minute match, you'll play shorter, objective-based games that last 10-20 minutes, which allows you to more frequently tinker with your equipment setup and try out new options without too heavy a time commitment, in case it doesn't work out.

Early access for Servo shouldn't be too long now, with a nebulous "late spring" target, and should launch a few months after that, in Fall 2015. You can read the official announcement right here. [http://bonusxp.com/2015/03/announcing-servo/]

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
It does sound alot more like a MOBA than an RTS. Ill keep an eye on it and maybe itll be worth buying by the time it leaves Early Access.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
beastro said:
Hopefully Tom shows up in it.
I dunno - I think this takes place further into the future than the year 3000.

loa

Jan 28, 2012
So they keep talking about how this is a new breed of RTS and how you can collect and collect new parts for your units but all they show is the same battle with the same units, the same sword robots whacking away at stuff while getting shot at with the same lasers or weapons that at least look and act the same way as the lasers over and over again.
If that's the best they can do to highlight how that loot system changes the game up and "enables you to customize your army towards your playstyle" then no thanks. That looks really dull.

Waraddict

Jul 20, 2011
apart from the looting mechanism, isn't this what they tried to turn End Of Nations into before deciding to scrap it altogether?

Greymanelor

May 6, 2013
Watching the video, the first thing that came to mind for me was the game Metal Fatigue by Zono Inc.

Very similar in the mecha-focus, with the army merely a support element. Metal Fatigue didn't have loot collecting or in-map experience, though you did gain points you could use to level up both mecha pilots and military gear. Funny enough, elements like mecha duel-wielding laser swords as seen in the Servo video were almost iconic of Metal Fatigue.

Not sure if the similarities are just a coincidence or how superficial they might really be. I honestly wouldn't mind seeing a spiritual successor to Metal Fatigue. It was a game with a lot of interesting ideas, badly hampered by a few questionable gameplay choices (like the game breaking nature of rail gun super weapons, which transformed the game from a neat mecha romp to a rush to build the most rail guns).

Kahani

May 25, 2011
Encaen said:
WarCraft hero characters are a great example of a light RPG integration, but Servo wants to take it to the next level, with character classes, a Diablo-esque paper doll equipment setup, and between 500 and 1000 pieces of unique gear for you to hunt down while you play.
Pretty sure that's exactly what Warcraft 3 already did, especially in the Rexxar section. Dawn of War 2 did it even more so, a bit more RPG heavy in the original game but with more RTS elements added back in with Retribution. I don't think copying other games really counts as "taking it to the next level".

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
I can assume the loot earned are not pernament well when it come to PVP so overall it didn't entice me at all.