Powers Launches Today, Check Out The Season Trailer

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Powers Launches Today, Check Out The Season Trailer

Powers is available today from PlayStation Originals - for free - but you can watch the season trailer if you're on the fence.

It's been a long time coming, but <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/comicsandcosplay/12423-Brian-Michael-Bendis-Eddie-Izzard-and-Cast-Discuss-PlayStation-s>the superhero-inspired police procedural Powers has finally launched on the PlayStation store. The first episode is completely free for United States residents right now <a href=http://www.playstation.com/en-us/explore/playstation-plus/powers/?video=1>from Sony's Powers website, while PlayStation Plus members can watch up to episode three. Release details for non-US regions will be available soon, but if the recently released Season Trailer is anything to go on? This could prove to be an exciting opening season.

Based on the comic book series of the same name, Powers follows a team of homicide detectives who investigate murders within or caused by the superpowered community. Whether a superhero is found dead - or suspected of murdering their spouse in a domestic dispute - these very human police officers are the ones who need to make the arrest.

The new trailer gives a closer look at how the first season of Powers will unfold, and there's a lot of doozies here. While the partnership between <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/136222-Susan-Heyward-Cast-as-Female-Lead-Deena-Pilgrim-in-Powers>Deena Pilgrim and former superhero <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/136902-Powers-Tv-Series-Casts-Christian-Walker-And-Retro-Girl>Christian Walker still exists, Retro Girl - the murder victim from the very first comics storyline - is very much alive as a secondary character. Illegal power enhancers are circulating the streets, the police's power dampening technology causes deadly side effects, and superpowered humans wreak havoc in a public park.

Meanwhile, Walker's old adversary - the cannibalistic Wolf - is set to be a major adversary for Season 1 even from the confines of his prison cell. That's a lot to unpack from a Season we expected to cover the "Who Killed Retro Girl" storyline - but hopefully it's enough to get fans excited.

Sadly, I'm in the "non-US resident" camp, which means I can't confirm whether the pilot is any good. But do feel free to watch it yourself and tell us if it lives up to the hype in the comments!

Source: PlayStation

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
Welp, time to get my hipster on. I'm pretty sure I'll be able to come up with at least seven things to complain that the comic did better. I should be able to find about three seemingly bad things you're stupid if you can't appreciate, too.

Fireprufe15

Nov 10, 2011
So will there ever be a way for none-playstation owning folks to watch this stuff? Maybe some kind of subscription like Netflix?

Fireprufe15

Nov 10, 2011
So will there ever be a way for none-playstation owning folks to watch this stuff? Maybe some kind of subscription like Netflix?

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
You know what? I wil give this a watch since I rarely watched any new live TV shows these days.

schtingah

Jun 1, 2011
I do not understand why a digital only release of a series as an exclusive on a platform made in Japan can't do a global release.

Objectable

Oct 31, 2013
You know, as much as I love Bendis's work, I have never really been all that into Powers. Just a bit too cynical for me.
Still, his X-Men and Ultimate Spider-man work is amazing. Give it a shot, y'all.

zerragonoss

Oct 15, 2009
Fireprufe15 said:
I did some jumping around to figure out how to watch it without a playstaion, and yes you can. The standard definition versions can all be streamed form your web browser, (High definition are sony device only.) at the palystaion site. It does require you to make an account, and pay per episode or to get ps plus though.

CrazyBlaze

Jul 12, 2011
Queen Michael said:
Welp, time to get my hipster on. I'm pretty sure I'll be able to come up with at least seven things to complain that the comic did better. I should be able to find about three seemingly bad things you're stupid if you can't appreciate, too.
Not that hard. The comic is amazing. This. This just looks meh. It seems to lack Bendis' snappy dialogue and the series lives and dies on that.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Eh... it was OK. Feels like they are going way out of their way to make it feel gritty and adult... which roughly means everyone acts like a damn teenager. Gritty and adult means that all the main characters generally can't handle life. The villain smokes like a 15 year old who discovered cigarettes a month ago, the main character is angsty and whiny like no one's business, and there is a teenage girl who likes to suck off people with powers. It sounds like something I would have written when I was in 7th grade actually. And that special effects budget... could they have spent any less on it?

The upside? It looks like Eddie Izzard is going to be play beautiful psychopath.

wulfy42

Jan 29, 2009
Not impressed personally, although I only watched the first episode. I may subscribe for a month eventually to watch the rest of the first season, but doing so now would only let you watch the first 3 episodes. It wasn't good enough for me to pay to watch them right now.

To me, it seemed similar to Heroes (The first season) but done in a more dark world and without a good cast of characters. Diamond (walker) and the new cop don't play off each other well and are one of the worst cop team ups I have seen (which is saying alot). Diamonds character specifically seems sleezy, depressing, dull and uninspired. Meanwhile you have tons of heroes who, from what I can tell in the first episode, are not supposed to use their powers in public? The new cop gives one person with powers a hard time for floating in front of her for instance. What kinda wacked out world is that....meanwhile you have "heroes" flying around fighting villians like it's nothing. What do you need a permit to use your powers or something?

Anyway, I guess it might have some potential, but I was not impressed by the cast that was introduced. I was not left with any burning questions or any desire to see how a characters story progresses. If you compare this to heroes (even the later seasons), it has no spark, and it's powers just fizzle. Even when you have heroes that can do more (for instance a guy that can not only teleport at will, but bring pieces of people he's touching with him), it's not nearly as interesting as Hiro's initial journey in Heroes.

I'd recommend watching the first episode (For free) before investing any cash to watch this. Luckily I did (even though I'm a big fan of super hero shows). I may eventually watch the whole first season since it will only be $10 (And even a meh super hero show is worth that to me), but I will wait until I am sure I can watch the whole first season before investing.