Into the Pixel Opens Submissions For 2015 Game Art Exhibit

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Into the Pixel Opens Submissions For 2015 Game Art Exhibit

The Entertainment Software Association and Academy of Interactive Arts & Sciences have begun accepting submissions for their annual game art exhibit.

While every game is born from an amalgamation of skills and effort, there's little getting around the importance of their art. From the earliest days of the medium art has been there, giving guidance and visualization to concepts and worlds often before even the first line of code. For more than a decade now, the fine folks behind Into the Pixel have worked to honor that contribution with an annual art exhibit aimed at showcasing the best works of game art from that year. With its twelfth exhibit in the works, its co-producers at <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/134028-ESA-Survey-Finds-Nearly-Half-of-All-U-S-Gamers-Are-Female>the Entertainment Software Association and The Academy of Interactive Arts & Sciences have announced that they're now accepting submissions [http://www.intothepixel.com/].

Those submissions will be judged by a panel of figures from the games industry including Blizzard's senior art manager Seth Spaulding, <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/138643-Sequel-Art-Show-Includes-Conan-the-Barbarian-The-Goonies-and-Other-Classics>iam8bit founder Jon Gibson, Big Red Button CEO Bob Rafei and more. The art pieces selected will be premiered at this year's E3 from June 16th to the 18th. The submissions process itself will remain open until April 10th. Submissions may include any piece of in-game, concept, character or environmental art that game makers feel to be worthy of consideration. Some of the winners from 2014 include the likes of Destiny, The Last of Us and The Banner Saga.
[gallery=3925]

Discussing Into the Pixel with The Escapist, AIAS president Martin Rae described it as being akin to a visual "time capsule" of the industry. "This will be the twelfth year Into the Pixel has been in existence, and each year feels like a time capsule into some of the most brilliant and innovative games of the year," he said. "There are so many aspects that go into the craft of game making - coding, project management, narrative, technology platforms and art. But it's ultimately the artist's vision and interpretation that really helps to bring a game together. Its important to highlight these artists who are so very often in the background, and we hope that Into the Pixel brings these images and people to the forefront to recognize their very important contributions." We'll be eager to see which art pieces are highlighted later this year at E3 2015.

Interested? You can find out more information about submissions here [http://www.intothepixel.com/].

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
It always delights me to see lovingly crafted art and the people behind said art receiving the recognition they are due.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
This...is what I've been waiting for from the industry this year. I adore this competition. The submissions tend to come from some of the most talented artists within the video gaming industry, and they're universally incredible.

Can't wait to nab some for my desktop background.

Can you image the collective shitstorm that will be spawned if a piece of Half-Life 3 artwork shows up? Ooph. I almost hope they don't, though I do hope Dhabih Eng submits something. His stuff is generally fantastic.

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
I'd prefer a lesser focus on AAA, but this is pretty cool nonetheless. Though, seeing someone like El Huervo, Supergiant or the guys behind Guild Wars 2 up there would've been even cooler :D

Nonetheless, I am looking a gift horse in the mouth. Glad to see a greater push for games as art through mediums like this one :)

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
Wow. Most of these are... really ugly, actually. I'd give 1 and 3 high marks for stylistic design, but everything else seems to be variations of "Space Marine with big gun." Gray backdrops, dark and gritty atmosphere, ect. I'd love to see some more inventive entries.

I've never heard of this, though, so I'd be curious what contenders there are in the future. Maybe with less of a AAA focus. Go Banner Saga! I believe in you!