The Right Body Type for Cosplay

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
Don't forget the other hallmarks of a Liefeld drawn character: Pouches and impossibly tiny feet. If you're a dude.
Oh! And guns! Big unwieldy guns! Man, MovieBob was right; comics in the '90's were WEIRD.

Objectable

Oct 31, 2013
I'm just wondering how a woman would cosplay a Liefeld character
http://media.tumblr.com/5569b0ca1c2789609b9fb68096e5205a/tumblr_inline_mgrxm9LWdg1rqftvt.jpg

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
I'm one of the only people who will defend Rob Liefield and say that I think he, and 1990s comics in general, get a terrible rap they do not deserve. At the end of the day almost all artists have drawn some bizzare things and made all kinds of mistakes, and in super hero books in particular it seems all of them use weird shadows and proportions in some way. Granted some of Liefield's worst moments like "Mutant Chest Captain America" do stand out, but the guy also produced tons and tons of work, made millions of dollars, and helped comics through some rough times.

Nowadays it seems to me that part of the problem is that so many people do not "get" Generation X, and on top of that the explosion of political correctness which is contrary to the gleeful "Ding Dong the CCA is dead" is of course contrary to the "extreme" vibe of that decade. Granted SJWs were around before the label and well before they had managed to get the voice they have today, but right now I think the attacks on Liefield, Frank Miller, etc... kind of show how far gone that movement is, especially seeing as without them I'm not sure what shape comics would be in today. What's more I'd rather take Liefield's problems with drawing feet than people QQing because Batgirl is at the mercy of The Joker on a comic cover... and let's be honest, Liefield at least had guts apparently and stuck to his guns despite criticism and keeps drawing successful comics today, contrary to a certain DC artist who backed down, asked his work get pulled, and went to go hide under his bed.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Oh hai CAD.
Here's my bit of thinking to the wind: keep the rationale, lose the wordswordswords and try to lean a bit more on images for narration. Just because an analogy is funny ("I'd need a u-haul to get there (...) thought the loading dock") doesn't mean it's going to work no matter where you put it. Also: last panels are for punchlines, if they have more text than either of the preceding panels, then you're doing it wrong.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
wordswordswords.

Cut down on them, man. This is a comic strip, not a short novel. It is pretty hard to get the punchline when the joke is 7 sentences long and the artwork struggles to convey it.

Gatlank

Aug 26, 2014
Objectable said:
http://media.tumblr.com/5569b0ca1c2789609b9fb68096e5205a/tumblr_inline_mgrxm9LWdg1rqftvt.jpg
First break your spine and twist it to an awkward position.
If you hear bone crushing then you're doing it right. Next to separate some vertebrae...

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
Objectable said:
Do you REALLY want to know? :3 Cos women have indeed cosplayed as characters like that on the cover quite handily.

Look up Witchblade cosplay for some relevant examples and marvel! Just euh..Probably NSFW though.

Aris Khandr

Oct 6, 2010
Objectable said:
Without internal organs, most likely.

Demonjazz

Sexually identifies as Tiefling
Sep 13, 2008
Oh, come on! There's always Bo'Rai Cho! And Homer Simpson if you have any yellow paint that won't kill you.

Ihateregistering1

Mar 30, 2011
Objectable said:
Jesus, does this guy know how a spinal column works? That's not even sexy, she just looks warped.

Headsprouter

Monster Befriender
Legacy
Nov 19, 2010
Laggyteabag said:
wordswordswords.

Cut down on them, man. This is a comic strip, not a short novel. It is pretty hard to get the punchline when the joke is 7 sentences long and the artwork struggles to convey it.

Also, this webcomic has nice art.

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
Objectable said:
I suppose it would be something like this:

Norithics

Jul 4, 2013
Laggyteabag said:
I thought it was just fine? It's a comic, not a meme.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Norithics said:
Laggyteabag said:
If you need to rely more on words than on images to tell a story/joke, comics aren't the medium for you.

keniakittykat

Aug 9, 2012
Corey Schaff said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
Norithics said:
Laggyteabag said:
If you need to rely more on words than on images to tell a story/joke, comics aren't the medium for you.
Antithesis:

Quod Error Demonstratum, clearly you've not read enough comics.
Or maybe FFN is just not funny? You can pick apart the problem as much as you want, but at the end of the day, it just wasn't funny.
None of their comics so far are funny. Is it because there's too many words? Or because their punchlines are dull?
Who cares, it sucks either way.