MMO Crowfall Wants to Take Little From World of Warcraft

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
MMO Crowfall Wants to Take Little From World of Warcraft

ArtCraft Entertainment doesn't want Crowfall to be like any MMORPG you've already played - and that's a good thing.

Read Full Article

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Ambitious. Intriguing... but in the way that things seem to go with any MMO, I'm not entirely certain the grand scope of ideas will make it to the final release, which is sad because as it is this is a game I'd love to play. But I'm not so cynical as to say it can't happen, nor will I say it won't happen. All I'm going to say is, as a wise Buddhist monk once said to me "we'll see."

Guilen-

Mar 14, 2009
Now THIS is promising. Amazing ideas! The diversity of maps could truly set this game apart, let alone the other elements. I'm excited.

Furbyz

Oct 12, 2009
If they can actually do everything they want to do, this sounds awesome. There's a big difference between stated goals and a finished product. It seems like they would need a lot more money than they currently have to get something like this done. I hope they do make it work because god knows they MMO industry could use something new, but I have my reservations.

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
Huh. Can't speak for the idea behind this game particularly, but I like that they're trying something different.

What bugs me most about MMO's is how they've settled on a set of mechanics (which I'm not especially fond of), and beyond that are so similar that the different ones often amount to little more than reskins of the same thing.

Also, the lack of consequence to anything.
That bugs me.

Oh, you beat the super-evil end boss threatening all of creation?
Yeah, we did that last week.

I get why that happens, but in some ways it kind of sucks all the life out of the world when you're playing with hundreds of others, all of which are experiencing essentially the same thing you are.

That just makes it 'a game where there are other people sometimes', rather than what an MMO has the potential to be 'A shared, virtual world with rules different to reality'.

I guess it would take a lot of courage to really commit to that path though.
Treating the virtual world with enough respect to take it seriously as a world in it's own right, rather than a set of pre-scripted adventures with no real consequence for anyone taking part in the world...

Aethren

Jun 6, 2009
I'll admit these guys can spin a good hype thread. But I'm old-enough to remember Peter Molyneux. I remember the hype, and the downfall. And this guy is sounding a lot like Peter. A large part of what made WoW so big was how easily it could be played on low-end computers as well, I'm not seeing the same capability with this game.

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
Good for them, I hope it works out for them, because this is what developers need to do when making an MMO. There's no point making a considerably less polished WoW, because I'm not going to stop playing WoW to play a considerably more broken version of WoW. This is why Eve Online stays afloat.

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
Can't find any release date (window) anywhere so far.
Still, it sounds insanely fun!!!

BareHope

Aug 12, 2014
It was about time more MMOs went sandbox rather than theme-park. Let's just hope they can keep their vision and make it to a sustainable player base.

Since I doubt that they'll go Guild Wars 2's route and make resources per player, they might also just drop the name and call it Resource Wars.

Varis

lp0 on fire
Feb 24, 2012
It certainly sounds interesting...
Not sure how they're gonna get the RPG in that MMORPG of theirs though. You're able to blow up stuff, and control a kingdom, but unless you RP and make up stories as you go by yourself, I have yet to see how they'd make the game actually support that, and possibly give some unique storytelling in itself.
You can basically call everything RPG as long as you have some sort of level-up system, that doesn't necessarily make it a captivating experience.

Summerstorm

Elite Member
Sep 19, 2008
Well, i had it backed as soon as they allowed for paypal donations. (Also: why are there barely any paypal backers? Usually you at least get SOME.. so far they have measly 18.435 $ from about a hundred dudes)

Even went full-on crazy and bought the 60$ one. Because this is pretty much a game which is going at least in the right direction. We should have had this nearly TEN freaking years ago. (Also Wurm-Online with a bit more action and sparkle would be nice)

I just hate that you HAVE to be such a fighting badass - would be cool to allow for crafters, nobles etc. And allow for NPC's warfare under your command.

Bvenged

Sep 4, 2009
TESO, WildStar, ArcheAge, FireFall all recently disappointed.

I am not holding my breath for this "next big MMO".

Gennadios

Aug 19, 2009
I won't be kickstarting, but color me interested. It's a small miracle if I pick up an MMO and even a larger one if I stick to it, I'll probably be trying this out at release.

Kyoufuu

Mar 12, 2009
Varis said:
Not sure how they're gonna get the RPG in that MMORPG of theirs though. You're able to blow up stuff, and control a kingdom, but unless you RP and make up stories as you go by yourself, I have yet to see how they'd make the game actually support that, and possibly give some unique storytelling in itself.
You can basically call everything RPG as long as you have some sort of level-up system, that doesn't necessarily make it a captivating experience.
The players are the story. You know all those stories you hear that happen in EVE, about epic space battles and incredible scams? Those happen because the story is written by the players, in real time, not determined by someone sitting high atop a mountain of gold in a Blizzard office months before it happens.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
I've been waiting for an MMO like this for years o_O

Hopefully they can deliver.

Colt47

Oct 31, 2012
Well, I'm throwing the minimal pledge to get a copy of the game and access to beta 2. At best we'll have an amazingly fun pvp based castle building MMO. At worst, it's a complete bomb and I'm out a few bucks. That be life =)

I'm pretty sure it will get made, given what I've seen, so at least that possibility is extremely remote.

Varis

lp0 on fire
Feb 24, 2012
Kyoufuu said:
Varis said:
The players are the story. You know all those stories you hear that happen in EVE, about epic space battles and incredible scams? Those happen because the story is written by the players, in real time, not determined by someone sitting high atop a mountain of gold in a Blizzard office months before it happens.
Indeed. Every good MMORPG sprouts from a good community first and foremost. But, that doesn't mean the game should not, or doesn't need to supply a decent story by itself.
I personally like best of both worlds, with a great RP'ing community, but also a good story to be experienced by yourself (or with friends at times)