White God - Rise of the Planet of the Dogs

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
White God - Rise of the Planet of the Dogs

Dogs are abused and then decide they've put up with the humans long enough in this tough-to-watch but powerful movie.

Read Full Article

Skatologist

Choke On Your Nazi Cookies
Jan 25, 2014
So the first film you give above a 3 stars is an indie foreign film because it made you go...

Huh, who would have guessed a film snob would do that kind of thing? This is my shocked face. :l

And I'll admit, I'm definitely interested in seeing this perhaps only for the ending and a few of the dog scenes. It appears though that like many indie/foreign films, critics like it more than the general audience. Then again, those kinds of people are cool with empty action flicks and and low brow comedies, so screw 'em anyways.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
After three months of the year, there's finally a film in cinemas that's interesting?[footnote]Well I suppose I'm interested in seeing what they do to Cinderella, but I doubt that the film on its own merits will be interesting.[/footnote] Colour me surprised.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
I can't take a review about how "emotional" a movie about dogs rebelling makes you seriously.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Okay, haven't seen it, just going by the trailer here, but does anyone else find the images of people fleeing in panic from a pack of cheerful dogs running down a road completely impossible to take seriously on any level whatsoever?

I mean, sure, if I were to somehow come across a pack of aggressive dogs I'd run like fuck. I'd be up a tree faster than you can say "pedigree chum". But those aren't aggressive dogs. They're happy pets enjoying the best walkies ever and they look like it.

The rest of the movie could be pure gold, but those scenes would only make me groan or snigger.

As impressive as the animal work may be, this honestly looks like something that would have worked infinitely better as a cartoon. Doing it in live action looks like a square-peg-round-hole scenario, no matter how skillfully that peg has been whittled into shape.

Johkmil

Apr 14, 2009
Zhukov said:
Okay, haven't seen it, just going by the trailer here, but does anyone else find the images of people fleeing in panic from a pack of cheerful dogs running down a road completely impossible to take seriously on any level whatsoever?

I mean, sure, if I were to somehow come across a pack of aggressive dogs I'd run like fuck. I'd be up a tree faster than you can say "pedigree chum". But those aren't aggressive dogs. They're happy pets enjoying the best walkies ever and they look like it.

The rest of the movie could be pure gold, but those scenes would only make me groan or snigger.
I think it could work for non- or casual dog people, but I agree, those are definitely happy dogs from the body language. It seems they might have tried to hide it with the camerawork, but it still showcases the fact that animals are usually not too good "actors."