All Blackrock Mountain Hearthstone Cards Revealed

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
All Blackrock Mountain Hearthstone Cards Revealed

Ahead of its launch this week [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/140256-Hearthstones-Blackrock-Mountain-Adventure-Launches-April-2], Blizzard has revealed all of the Blackrock Mountain cards.

Blizzard has been trickling information on its upcoming Hearthstone expansion pack: April 2 launch [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/blackrock%20mountain?os=blackrock+mountain], Blizzard has gone ahead and spilled the beans on every single card that will be featured in the singleplayer adventure.

Check out all 31 new cards below:

[gallery=3968]

All-in-all, some pretty cool, alongside some pretty... questionable cards are in there. It also looks like every class will be getting two class-specific cards, as opposed to just the single one they received for the Naxxramas adventure.

I'm personally interested in Majordomo. Become Ragnaros? That sounds pretty damn awesome. I wounder what his hero power will be?

Source: Facebook [https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.875939775782125.1073741868.498467596862680&type=3]

Diablo1099_v1legacy

Doom needs Yoghurt, Badly
Dec 12, 2009
...Oh for the love of-WHAT DECKS DON'T HAVE RAGNAROS IN THEM!?
Now they want to turn him into a Jaxxarus style transformation? And it's a neutral Legend so EVERY class can do it?

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
Just looking at the ones announced today:

Gang Up -too slow. It's great in control match-ups, but I doubt the meta is going to slow down substantially enough for this to see play.

Volcanic Lumberer -it's neat, but it would be so much better if it was a 6/8. Druid has a hard time killing a lot of things at once (barring an amazing swipe or throwing away your combo) so you'll probably only ever be playing this for 7-9 mana most of the time. Not good enough.

Fireguard Destroyer -at worst, it's a strictly better 5 mana 4/6 (fair) that you get to play a turn early. I see this going in a lot of Shaman decks and maybe seeing overload decks come back.

Quick Shot -while the draw effect isn't going to happen that often, a 2 mana deal 3 dmg card is always very good. I can see this being run in every Hunter deck.

Demonwrath -if you're running it in a demon deck, it's a consecration for 3 mana. That's awesome. It's a dead card in the mirror though, but that's not a big deal assuming your enemy runs it too. It could even see play outside of demon decks since it's basically Hellfire minus 1 on everything.

Twilight Whelp -at first, it seems like a strictly better Zombie Chow. Unfortunately, in order to get the effect, you're probably not keeping an optimal curve in your starting hand. That could make this card rather detrimental. Hard to say at this point.

Chromaggus -if a dragon deck does become a thing, I'm sure this card will be in it. It passes the BGH test, but it could be too slow since you're not getting its effect until your next turn (usually). Definitely a cool card.

Emperor Thaurissan -holy crap. This card has the potential to give you a ridiculous amount of mana. If it survives after the turn you played it and you're playing control, you've probably won. This guy might make the much slower dragon decks (and control decks in general) a good deal more viable. You won't always draw him, in time, but he'll definitely help speed them up. I'm really excited to see this card potentially shake up the meta.

Dragon Consort -if dragon decks get made, the best one will probably be Paladin because of this card. It's an innervate attached to a 5/5 body. The dream is playing this on turn 5 and then coining out Yysera or some other giant dragon.

Resurrect -I don't know. Maybe you can build your deck in a way that allows this to be a good card most of the time. I just see this winding up as a Northshire or Chow in a lot of cases.

Druid of the Flame -seems pretty good. Nothing special though. I don't know if this could replace any 3 drop in current Druid decks. Shade is just too good.

Revenge -it's pretty bad. You don't want to be at 12, and you have better options for removal.

Solemn Vigil -I can see this usually at least being an Arcane Intellect and often times better. I'm sure Paladins will run at least one of these. Also, even if you have to cast it for 5, it's still not that bad since it probably means you're in late game anyway where you have lots of mana.

Majordomo Executus -it's an excellent card if your goal is to lose. Rogues could kill this pretty easily and then finish you off in the same turn. Freeze mage will easily kill this and then even more easily kill you. Since the card is very slow, aggro decks will probably just kill you and ignore it. Warriors can kill it with Death's bit and execute and then murder you with an enraged Grom. This card is cool, but it's probably one of the worst in the entire game as it's probably going to lose you a lot more games that it'll win for you. Hell, this card might be bad enough that Sneed's sees less play since people will be scared of getting this card out of it. MAYBE you could make it work in Freeze Mage where you'll have Iceblocks, I still think it's garbage though.
Diablo1099 said:
Now they want to turn him into a Jaxxarus style transformation? And it's a neutral Legend so EVERY class can do it?
Ragnaros isn't nearly as common as he used to be. It's mostly just ramp druid and control warrior that I see him in. He's just too easy to either play around by spamming the board or straight up murdering with BGH. He also costs 8 mana which is quite a lot in such a fast meta. As for the hero rag, I hope lots of people play him. Many free wins for me.

iniudan

Apr 27, 2011
Diablo1099 said:
Yes, but then you drop to only 8 max health (with all your armor gone, if you had any), so opponent can finish you quite quite easily.

iniudan

Apr 27, 2011
RedDeadFred said:
Gang Up -too slow. It's great in control match-ups, but I doubt the meta is going to slow down substantially enough for this to see play.
Gang up is made for thin deck that carry lot of card draw (like a third of the deck in what I plan to try), very thigh selection of great minions and the rest been spell.

RedDeadFred said:
Resurrect -I don't know. Maybe you can build your deck in a way that allows this to be a good card most of the time. I just see this winding up as a Northshire or Chow in a lot of cases.
Using spell to control the early can easily keep a priest in the game until the 3 drop minion. Blademaster make a nice resurrect target anyway, as he come back as a 4/7.

RedDeadFred said:
Druid of the Flame -seems pretty good. Nothing special though. I don't know if this could replace any 3 drop in current Druid decks. Shade is just too good.
Nice vanilla stat, there is indeed better stuff available with combo, but vanilla it on level with spider tank but been more flexible as you can drop it as a 5/2 if you get it late game. They are also a beast so give druid better beast for the snake druid.

RedDeadFred said:
Revenge -it's pretty bad. You don't want to be at 12, and you have better options for removal.
Also though it was bad when I first saw it, but I started to see it in better eye (still one of the worse card in the set) and it one step closer to solo warrior anyway, but still have to rely on minion at this point, but it is the class that the closest to been able to have a deck with no minion.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
iniudan said:
RedDeadFred said:
Gang up is made for thin deck that carry lot of card draw (like a third of the deck in what I plan to try), very thigh selection of great minions and the rest been spell.
That's kind of what I was thinking of trying. Sort of a mill rogue where you Gang Up your Coldlights. Still, Mill Rogue is fairly easy to play around once you know what it is. Maybe this card will push it towards being viable though.

iniudan said:
RedDeadFred said:
Using spell to control the early can easily keep a priest in the game until the 3 drop minion. Blademaster make a nice resurrect target anyway, as he come back as a 4/7.
Never thought about Blademaster. That would be a pretty awesome combo.

iniudan said:
RedDeadFred said:
Nice vanilla stat, there is indeed better stuff available with combo, but vanilla it on level with spider tank but been more flexible as you can drop it as a 5/2 if you get it late game. They are also a beast so give druid better beast for the snake druid.
The flexibility is definitely nice, I just couldn't see running it in any current Druid deck and I'm not convinced that beast Druid is even close to powerful enough to see much play. Its main combo revolves around putting a minion into BGH range.

iniudan said:
RedDeadFred said:
Also though it was bad when I first saw it, but I started to see it in better eye (still one of the worse card in the set) and it one step closer to solo warrior anyway, but still have to rely on minion at this point, but it is the class that the closest to been able to have a deck with no minion.
Can't argue with that. I hate playing against Warrior already since I know that the first 4 big threats I play (sometimes more or less depending on their draw) are all going to die with relative ease from the Warrior.

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
I don't have super high hopes for a full Dragon themed deck working out in a very competitive light AKA past Rank 17 or so, I don't even know which class is best suited for it. It won't stop me from trying though, i'll just fit every Dragon related card into a deck and see what happens. Dragon Egg and Hungry Dragon are practically the only ones that jump out at me to be really damn solid. Well Volcanic Drake actually too, it works on both friendly and enemy minions so I think a 0 mana double Volcanic Drake isn't going to be super hard to pull off. I run zero standard decks anyway, unless Fatigue/Mill Druid counts but everybody gave up on that idea. For good reason I know, aggro plays their entire hand in one turn, you give them a hand back and they play all of THOSE out in one turn gg no re. Hey if I can make full Secret Mage work and this... weird Priest deck that doesn't really fit with anything (idk, it goes for like Lightwardens + Shattered Suns, Dark Cultists and Injured Blademasters buff cheese but it can still be successful when that Cultist Yeti doesn't get rolling)

I run several Dragon Legendaries too but like... RIP Deathwing, at least Alex and Ysera will always give you something out of it but Deathwing will always, always, always get "i've got the Fun in ma sights"'d. Fuck this meta who made that dickfuck a must include in every deck.

rcs619

Mar 26, 2011
The Wykydtron said:
I don't have super high hopes for a full Dragon themed deck working out in a very competitive light AKA past Rank 17 or so, I don't even know which class is best suited for it. It won't stop me from trying though, i'll just fit every Dragon related card into a deck and see what happens. Dragon Egg and Hungry Dragon are practically the only ones that jump out at me to be really damn solid. Well Volcanic Drake actually too, it works on both friendly and enemy minions so I think a 0 mana double Volcanic Drake isn't going to be super hard to pull off. I run zero standard decks anyway, unless Fatigue/Mill Druid counts but everybody gave up on that idea. For good reason I know, aggro plays their entire hand in one turn, you give them a hand back and they play all of THOSE out in one turn gg no re. Hey if I can make full Secret Mage work and this... weird Priest deck that doesn't really fit with anything (idk, it goes for like Lightwardens + Shattered Suns, Dark Cultists and Injured Blademasters buff cheese but it can still be successful when that Cultist Yeti doesn't get rolling)

I run several Dragon Legendaries too but like... RIP Deathwing, at least Alex and Ysera will always give you something out of it but Deathwing will always, always, always get "i've got the Fun in ma sights"'d. Fuck this meta who made that dickfuck a must include in every deck.
I blame Dr. Balanced, personally :p

How they heck do they nerf the Undertaker to the point of being basically worthless, and Dr.Boom keeps to go right on laughing like an idiot and breaking the meta?

Some of the cards are really interesting, but I really don't think they have the abilities to change the meta as much as Naxxaramus did when it came out. There's just not a lot that strikes me as "solidly good". Everything seems super situational. Personally, I wish the priest class would get more love. Out of all the classes it seems to have the least amount of viable decks currently.

Godzillarich(aka tf2godz)

Get the point
Legacy
Aug 1, 2011
Cretaceous
Country
USA
The Wykydtron said:
But he's got the beast in his sight

and you should run

op: I like a lot of these cards but I think Emperor Thaurissan is going to be this expansions loatheb or Dr.Boom being used in ever meta deck ever

Trippy Turtle

Elite Member
May 10, 2010
I don't get why people whinge about Dr Boom so much. Yes, there is a lack of good seven drops but being the best choice doesn't make him unbalanced. It's like taking out Force of Nature just because every druid ever uses it.
Play around him.
Or god forbid use him and realize you will still continue to lose if you think using a certain card is the only way to win.

Now the rants over with, the card that makes everything in your hand cost less looks pretty ridiculous and I'm looking forward to those priests whelps. Everything else I'll have to wait and see.

WWmelb

Sep 7, 2011
On a bit of a different note, is anyone else surprised by the choice of some of the bosses?

If you had asked me before any cards were released, i would have sworn black and blue the wing bosses and therefore cards would have been Emp T, Wyrmybro, Good Ole Drakysack, Would have said Rag but the card exists, so i picked Majordomo correctly, and Neffy. So i got 3 / 5 correct, and yeah.

Makes zero sense to me to throw Rend and Chrommy in the mix.

I dunno

Johkmil

Apr 14, 2009
While discussion of viable strategies are good and all, I only see the potential of Loreswalkers Cho Ganging Up. There is a potential for an all-Cho-board!

Bindal

May 14, 2012
Johkmil said:
While discussion of viable strategies are good and all, I only see the potential of Loreswalkers Cho Ganging Up. There is a potential for an all-Cho-board!
May the Banana-Flood become common. :D

Synthetica

Jul 10, 2013
Chromaggus would be an interesting card to build a mill deck around, assuming 2 would mean 4 cards per 'single draw'.

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
just talking arena but shaman and warlock got a huge boost from this expansion

I hate the design of volcanic drake and lumberer since the cards are super swingy, a good AOE is punishing enough already, no need to add more value to it

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
tf2godz said:
The Wykydtron said:
But he's got the beast in his sight

and you should run

op: I like a lot of these cards but I think Emperor Thaurissan is going to be this expansions loatheb or Dr.Boom being used in ever meta deck ever
I dunno, everyone thought that Loatheb would be just instantly included in every deck ever made because his Battlecry is crazy, especially if you like play him turn 6 against a Mage when you have a full board (the instant concede is funny) but you don't really see him much now. Thaurissan might go the same way.

Conversely nobody thought much of Dr Balanced and he turns out to be OP as fuck and singlehandedly broke the meta so that big minions are basically worthless. There's something wrong with me playing two 2 mana Clockwork Giants and they get immediately wiped the next enemy turn with zero damage in like they're nothing.

I might just wait til the expansion is over and a Dragon deck is complete until I really play much online now, the aggro is fucking mindnumbing. Ayyyy face lmao.

Sep 14, 2009
The Wykydtron said:
Deathwing will always, always, always get "i've got the Fun in ma sights"'d. Fuck this meta who made that dickfuck a must include in every deck.
lollll'd

I love beefing up a card to 7+ and drawing that fucker out to only end up playing dr. boom the next turn :-D

git gud, scrubbier than a fuckin wisp

Godzillarich(aka tf2godz)

Get the point
Legacy
Aug 1, 2011
Cretaceous
Country
USA
gmaverick019 said:
The Wykydtron said:
Deathwing will always, always, always get "i've got the Fun in ma sights"'d. Fuck this meta who made that dickfuck a must include in every deck.
lollll'd

I love beefing up a card to 7+ and drawing that fucker out to only end up playing dr. boom the next turn :-D

What if he has two of them

Sep 14, 2009
tf2godz said:
gmaverick019 said:
The Wykydtron said:
lollll'd

What if he has two of them
I've yet to encounter a player who had two of them (at least both in their hand at the same time), so usually boom has done his damage before they get a chance to deal with him. but it's a possibility..depending on my deck, I may bring him back to my hand or get copies of him, so that works too :-D