New Pacific Rim Prequel Comic Coming in November

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
New Pacific Rim Prequel Comic Coming in November

Pacific Rim: Tales From the Drift will be a new prequel comic with "never before seen" Jaegers fighting "all-new Kaiju creatures."

Speaking as a wholly rational and unbiased individual, I feel safe in saying that there is nothing cooler in this world than giant robots. If you want proof, you need look no further <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/escape-to-the-movies/7705-Pacific-Rim>than Pacific Rim. While I absolutely loved that film and think it's competent across the board, it still has its fair share of moments that feels a bit silly and generic. None of that matters though because the second the giant robots start punching the giant monsters, it becomes a piece of action bliss the likes of which cinema has rarely seen before. Put shortly, giant robots are awesome and we need more of them.

Recognizing that fact, the folks over at Legendary Comics have announced plans today to launch a new comic series based in the <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/pacific%20rim?os=pacific+rim>Pacific Rim universe. Dubbed Pacific Rim: Tales From the Drift, the new book will be a direct continuation of Pacific Rim: Tales From Year Zero. Year Zero was a prequel to the film that focused on the early efforts of humanity to combat and contain the Kaiju threat. Tales From the Drift will pick where that book left off and deliver fans a collection of new battles featuring "Jaegers never before seen in combat, squaring off against all-new Kaiju creatures."

This new comic series is, of course, just the latest in a series <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/135723-Pacific-Rim-2-Has-A-Release-Date>of planned efforts to continue the Pacific Rim franchise. A feature length sequel to the original is currently slated to release on April 7th, 2017. An animated series is also in the works to help bridge the gap between now and then. Pacific Rim: Tales From the Drift itself will land in comic stores in November 2015 and will feature writing from Joshua Fialkov and art from Marcox Marz.
[gallery=3983]

draigodragon

Nov 21, 2011
if it's a comic prequel then I'm fine...

But If they try to shove a movie prequel I'm gonna throw my wallet...

At the bin

martyrdrebel27

Feb 16, 2009
just make a (good) Pacific Rim game and I'll be happy. something like R.A.D. (Robot Alchemic Drive) which was crazy fun. or literally anything, just a fun game of robots fighting giant monsters.

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
SWEET! I really hope to heaven and hell that they include Chrome Brutus. I really want to see that one.

K12

Dec 28, 2012
Prequel stories sound like a good idea. The film definitely skipped over quite a lot of story in that opening monologue.

Charcharo said:
Giant robots are a very bad military design and they will NEVER be a good idea for any type of combat. Ever. Tanks + planes + artillery would always win and be better.

My basic opinion on these movies. I cant have fun with them. :(
Giant robots are unrealistic... no shit!

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
I'm always disappointed when I see a "property gets sequel!" or "property get's prequel!" and then I read further and it turns out to be a comic.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Charcharo said:
Giant robots are a very bad military design and they will NEVER be a good idea for any type of combat. Ever. Tanks + planes + artillery would always win and be better.

Do you have this same problem with things like FTL travel and transportation, and...well pretty much everything else impossible in science fiction? If not, then perhaps you should relax on this one thing too and just enjoy the fun of them?

K12

Dec 28, 2012
Charcharo said:
K12 said:
Prequel stories sound like a good idea. The film definitely skipped over quite a lot of story in that opening monologue.

Charcharo said:

Giant robots are unrealistic... no shit!
And stupid... and honestly less cool then normal, real beasts of war (to me). And breaks all suspension of disbelief I have.

Also, it might surprise you, but some people actually think Giant Robots will be a thing in military warfare...
It is sad... I know...
Each to their own I guess (not about people thinking giant robots will be a real thing in war, that's kind of silly) but I think the giant robot fights are insanely cool compared to tanks.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Charcharo said:
Happyninja42 said:
Charcharo said:

Do you have this same problem with things like FTL travel and transportation, and...well pretty much everything else impossible in science fiction? If not, then perhaps you should relax on this one thing too and just enjoy the fun of them?
Depends on how it is done.

Also, Mecha are as a concept bad.

They are less fun then tanks/planes/ships :(
That's an opinion, one that I disagree with. I'm pretty familiar with tanks/planes/ships, and I gotta say, personally, I find skyscraper sized robots that I mentally link with to stomp around a city and fight giant monsters way more fun. xD But that's just my opinion too, feel free to have your own.

Charcharo said:
I think you need to watch more tanks and real world or good science fiction battle machines :p
Again, matter of opinion. You're assuming that the person hasn't seen as much stuff as you, because clearly he hasn't since he doesn't share your opinion. Which is false. Different strokes for different folks. You don't like giant robots because they are unrealistic, fine. I still find that odd if you don't have the equal level of dislike for all the other unrealistic stuff in scifi, but to each his own. But saying that someone needs to watch more of a particular genre, and then they will share your opinion is incorrect, and unfair to the other person, implying they simply don't have as much knowledge as you on the subject.