Pirate Bay Momentarily Off Line Following Shut Down Order

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Pirate Bay Momentarily Off Line Following Shut Down Order

It seemed a death knell for infamous torrent tracker and electronic rights icon The Pirate Bay when a Swedish district court ordered the site's internet service provider to disconnect its service earlier today.

Almost immediately, Black Internet, the ISP staring down a 500,000 kroner penalty for non-compliance, removed its links to The Pirate Bay, and the site went dark.

Reacting with all the speed of a politician angling for a sound bite, Pirate Party head Rick Falkvinge offered this commentary: "This is absolutely ridiculous. The Court seems to consider themselves above the Constitution. This clarifies how copyright law has become untenable, and how information is lacking political skills in the judiciary," he added.

To the surprise of very few, the site has since reappeared, furthering comparisons to the mythical phoenix (specifically, the X-Men's never-quite-dead Jean Grey). The site now has a "new connection to the net," according to Torrentfreak.com [http://torrentfreak.com/the-pirate-bay-taken-offline-by-swedish-authorities-090824/].

While anti-piracy activists will continue to litigate both in Swedish courts and elsewhere against The Pirate Bay, the firm seems intent on playing their unending game of legal Whack-A-Mole with the court system.

"The MAFIAA has spent millions of dollars and endless amounts of time to get this ban in order. Our guess is that they also bribed a bit to get it since it violates so many laws not only in Sweden but also in the EU, not to mention violations against human rights. And what do they have to show for it? 3 hours of partial downtime," reads an official statement on the website [http://thepiratebay.org/blog/171].

(Image [http://thepiratebay.org])

Sevre

Old Hands
Apr 6, 2009
You just can't bring them down. Ignore the problem, it won't go away but it won't get worse.

chstens

Apr 14, 2009
Pirate Bay, "We fought the law and the result is a neverendig stalemate/bashing" Or a shining beacon of hope for all those who wants free shit.

oliveira8

Feb 2, 2009
Who the hell call's their company/whatever MAFIAA...and then tries to ban something called Pirate Bay.

Radeonx

Apr 26, 2009
Bringing down Pirate Bay won't stop pirating. There are a multitude of other sites that do the same thing.

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
I never understand how anyone can protect what these people do. They moan about free rights, and the law, but they know it's a bad thing to do. It ruins people's lives, brings down their profits. Yet, these guys have the audacity to moan about the law not being on their side.

Sevre90210 said:
You just can't bring them down. Ignore the problem, it won't go away but it won't get worse.
I doubt anyone said that about WW2, and that was much worse than a bunch of money grabbing pricks trying to ruin people's businesses.

Neesa

Jan 29, 2009
RIP Pirate Bay. You will be missed. Now, to wait for all the anti-piracy comments to flare up.

Nov 5, 2007
Earnest Cavalli said:
"The MAFIAA has spent millions of dollars and endless amounts of time to get this ban in order. Our guess is that they also bribed a bit to get it since it violates so many laws not only in Sweden but also in the EU, not to mention violations against human rights.
Wait, since when is stealing/pirating a human right.

Neesa

Jan 29, 2009
MaxTheReaper said:
Earnest Cavalli said:
"The MAFIAA
Is that seriously their name?

'Cause you'd think someone would catch that, if it were.

Anyway, that kind of sucks, I guess, but there are plenty more where they came from, so even if they get taken down, nothing'll change.
Yeah, the MAFIAA is taking a crack at piracy. Who would've thunk? Anyway, if even they take that down, nothing will change like you said.. You take one thing down, tons more pop up in rebellion. Or more people'll start making their trackers private. Public trackers are sitting ducks in an open pnd with a huge "Hit me" sign on them.

Cid Silverwing

Paladin of The Light
Jul 27, 2008
I lost it at the part where it said "violating human rights". Since when did human rights become relevant to piracy?!

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
I love it that an anti piracy organisation is called the MAFIAA, given their persistence in the face of eternal lulz I'm guessing the irony is lsot on them.

"The MAFIAA has spent millions of dollars and endless amounts of time to get this ban in order. Our guess is that they also bribed a bit to get it since it violates so many laws not only in Sweden but also in the EU, not to mention violations against human rights. And what do they have to show for it? 3 hours of partial downtime,"
Say what you like about the Pirate Bay, they've got moxy.

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
MaxTheReaper said:
Earnest Cavalli said:
"The MAFIAA
Is that seriously their name?

'Cause you'd think someone would catch that, if it were.
I can't believe I'm having to say this, but no, that isn't their real name. It's a colloquialism used to describe both the MPAA (motion picture association of america) and the RIAA (recording industry association of america). It's like a really lazy portmanteau/anagram mashup.

Now if you'll excuse me I have to go sigh really heavily.

Sephiroth_deus

Jul 25, 2009
Earnest Cavalli said:
While anti-piracy activists will continue to litigate both in Swedish courts and elsewhere against The Pirate Bay, the firm seems intent on playing their unending game of legal Whack-A-Mole with the court system.
Absolutely hilarious and accurate analogy. This line sums up the anti-piracy activists problems quite nicely.

Arkhangelsk

Mar 1, 2009
oliveira8 said:
Who the hell call's their company/whatever MAFIAA...and then tries to ban something called Pirate Bay.
That would be a cool concept for a game. Mafia versus pirates.

OP: That sucks, although I don't visit that site anymore since the new IP tracking law.

microhive

Mar 27, 2009
Well, I'm sure the Pirate Bay will counter this very soon. Their servers will be up by tomorrow morning.