Star Wars Movies Releasing Digitally For the First Time

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Star Wars Movies Releasing Digitally For the First Time

Disney and Lucasfilm have announced plans to release Digital HD editions of the prequel and original Star Wars trilogies.

It seems like the most natural thing in the world these days for movies to be available digitally. Sincerely, just think for a moment about of all your favorite films from the past few years and tell us if you can think of any that you couldn't be watching on your smartphone within five minutes if you really wanted to. It's odd to think, in turn, <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/star%20wars?os=star+wars>that Star Wars, one of the most famous film franchises in history, has never been available before in a digital format.

Hoping to rectify that, Disney and Lucasfilm have announced that they'll be releasing Digital HD versions of the Star Wars movies this Friday, April 10th. The new releases will be available at most major digital vendors and include all six of the series' feature films. According to Walt Disney Studios president Alan Bergman, the new digital versions are aimed at giving fans more ways to enjoy their favorite movies. "Since the debut of the first film nearly 40 years ago, <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/140229-Fan-Creates-Anime-Inspired-Star-Wars-Short-Pays-Tribute-to-Tie-Fighter>Star Wars has become a worldwide phenomenon with legions of fans from every generation," he said. "It's only fitting that audiences enjoy this legendary saga and its many fascinating behind-the-scenes stories on a wide variety of platforms."

The new versions won't just repackage the existing movies either. Lucasfilm president Kathleen Kennedy has affirmed that they'll come with "never-before-released" features that "[delve] into the saga's rich history." These will reportedly include "conversations between legendary Star Wars artists" as well as other specials that may vary depending on who you buy them from. The films will be purchasable as a package or individually and the full list of planned bonus features can be found <a href=http://www.starwars.com/news/the-star-wars-digital-movie-collection-coming-april-10?linkId=13366043>here. Sadly, since Disney and Lucasfilm haven't specified otherwise, the new digital versions are most likely based on the existing high definition editions. In other words, still no HD version of the unedited original trilogy.

Source: <a href=http://www.starwars.com/news/the-star-wars-digital-movie-collection-coming-april-10?linkId=13366043>Star Wars

Jadak

Nov 4, 2008
StewShearer said:
The new versions won't just repackage the existing movies either. Lucasfilm president Kathleen Kennedy has affirmed that they'll come with "never-before-released" features that "[delve] into the saga's rich history."
Oh goody, time for the debate to finally be settled with "the bartender shot first", with some scenes rearranged so Han flips him some cash beforehand, not as a "sorry for the mess", but as a "hey, look out for me will ya?".

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
StewShearer said:
Sadly, since Disney and Lucasfilm haven't specified otherwise, the new digital versions are most likely based on the existing high definition editions. In other words, still no HD version of the unedited original trilogy.
Ah, there's the info I was looking for. Too bad, I haven't seen the unedited version in 20 years or so.

syl3r

Oct 21, 2014
i wonder if itl be on netflix. but from the sound of that article probably not, since it only mentions buying :/

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Theatrical releases or I'm sending your servers to the spice mines of Kessel to be smashed...

Alpha Maeko

Uh oh, better get Maeko!
Apr 14, 2010
In other words, they're re-releasing the "Special" editions with all of Lucas' grubby 3D fingers all over it. Also, apparently, Han Solo is a really good guy who doesn't shoot first.

Not interested.

wetfart

Jul 11, 2010
At Amazon, there are a lot of one star ratings for this because they're not the original theater releases. I wonder if my old VHS tapes are still good....

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
Jadak said:
StewShearer said:
The new versions won't just repackage the existing movies either. Lucasfilm president Kathleen Kennedy has affirmed that they'll come with "never-before-released" features that "[delve] into the saga's rich history."
Oh goody, time for the debate to finally be settled with "the bartender shot first", with some scenes rearranged so Han flips him some cash beforehand, not as a "sorry for the mess", but as a "hey, look out for me will ya?".
Naw, in this one Greedo will put the gun to his own head and pull the trigger. They'll change his words to say he's there as a warning to Han, or something.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Is this the one where Greedo trips from a cliff, Han reaches out and manages to catch him by the hand, tries to pull him up because everybody deserves a second chance, yet Greedo still tries to shoot him, startling Han who in turn accidentally drops Greedo to his death? And then Han walks away profoundly disturbed, muttering to himself "I could've saved him... I could've saved him..."?

Jadak

Nov 4, 2008
Johnny Novgorod said:
Is this the one where Greedo trips from a cliff, Han reaches out and manages to catch him by the hand, tries to pull him up because everybody deserves a second chance, yet Greedo still tries to shoot him, startling Han who in turn accidentally drops Greedo to his death? And then Han walks away profoundly disturbed, muttering to himself "I could've saved him... I could've saved him..."?
Hey, maybe they'll go the other way. Not only go back to Han shooting first/only, but make Greedo completely unarmed.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Jadak said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
Hey, maybe they'll go the other way. Not only go back to Han shooting first/only, but make Greedo completely unarmed.
Maybe they'll make Greedo hold a cell phone.

Shiftygiant

Apr 12, 2011
As much as a still enjoy watching my 2007 DVD's, I'll pass, I'd rather see what I saw on my VHS in glorious HD then the reedits. Also, given how that original New Hope is in the LoC, wouldn't it make sense to release the theatrical version?

Actually on the last one, wouldn't it be cool if the Library released the movies on their list like a Criterion style collection?

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
Sadly, since Disney and Lucasfilm haven't specified otherwise, the new digital versions are most likely based on the existing high definition editions. In other words, still no HD version of the unedited original trilogy.
This is why the original laserdisc rips are still floating around piracy sites. They still don't give fans what they want, a choice between the unaltered original movies and the "updated" versions. How come I got a Blu-ray set of Blade Runner, with 5 different versions of the film (and it didn't cost much more than the typical Blu-ray at the time), but even under Disney's command, Lucasfilm still doesn't release original versions? Is Disney planning on pulling them out of the "Disney Vault" to sell us the same movie again in 20 years?

Also, the words "never-before-released features" scare me into thinking of the holiday special, even if those features are just interviews and the like.

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
Jadak said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
Given Disney's track record on Star Wars already, I'm expecting Greedo to shoot Han, hunt down kill Chewie too. Then they digitally add brand new characters into their place. It'll allow them to maximum creative freedom of the new movies.

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
Not going to spend any more money on Star Wars until they give me the original version to spend that money on. Sorry Disney, you still don't have my attention.

Except in that "From hell's heart, I stab at thee" kind of way that I've been known for for about twelve years now.

Winnosh

Sep 23, 2010
Johnny Novgorod said:
Jadak said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
Maybe they'll make Greedo hold a cell phone.

Hey now, at least Speilberg saw how dumb that was and changed it back to reinsert the guns later.